which conversion kit is the best

chris1972

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2013
I have finnaly decided to get an ebike conversion kit and was wandering which one is the best out of the 8 fun and the cyclotricity. the 8 fun is cheaper with bottle battery £420 plus p&p cyclotricty £500. I have spread my forks to 125mm at drop outs, 110mm at the actual fork but they tapper in anyone know the diameter and clearance of the motor.

Growbag

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Similar question I was thinking of posting closer to purchase time, as I'm considering a Cyclotricity kit. Apart from social/pleasure riding, I would be looking at a kit for my Schwinn Voyageur suitable for a 13 mile round trip. The route includes 2 very steep hills for a couple of miles of the route. Would both the 8 Fun and the Cyclotricity kit's be suitable for this? Also which kit would be easier to fit.
Sorry for gatecrashing the post Chris - hopefully both our queries will be answered :)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Go for the Cyclotricty and pay the extra for the LCD display Gives you speedo and Digital Battery Readout

Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

The power of all these kits is about the same. There are other kits with more power, but they're more expensive. The things to think about are how and where you want to fit the battery, the size of the battery (aH) for distance, where to fit the throttle and whether you can fit the supplied ebrakes.

Some bikes have hydraulic brakes or integrated brake changers. The latter can be accommodated with inline brake sensors, so look for a kit with them included. Fitting a throttle is tricky, and depends on what type of gear-changers you have. Thumb throttles can be fitted either side. You can't have a twist-grip throttle if you have twist-grip gears.

You should check your forks are 100mm wide if you want a front motor. Whether you fit a front or rear motor makes little difference at 250w. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

There's also middle motors (Chain or crank-drives) which can be better if you have a lot of steep hills to climb.

Whichever kit you go for, try and get one with a panel where you can set the level of pedal assistance. You get LED panels with 3 levels and LCD ones with 5 levels.

chris1972

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2013
cyclotricity kit

Well I went with the cyclotricity with pannier battery and lcd pedal assist just tried it out and it goes like a rocket got 19 MPH on the flat and nice fast acceleration. Had a few problems with fitting, the fork drop outs had to be made deeper and forks wider. Broke the plastic locking washer on the bottom braket when fiting the pedal assist so had to get a whole new bottom braket. The good thing with the pannier battery is you can hide it with a pannier bag and fit a padlock to the battery handle and the rack to stop it getting Niked. The motor is noisier than I thought it would be but hopefuly once it wears in it will be better. But as a whole I'm glad that ive gone the kit route.