which conversion kit to buy/build, specifically for a George Longstaff Trike

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm glad it's all up and running now. It seems to be nicely matched to your bike.

The PAS setting is "speed control", not "power control", so your assumption of 50w is not correct. You'll still get high power when you slow right down. The amount of power you get depends on the difference of your actual speed compared with the maximum speed that the PAS level is set to. As an example, when going up a hill at 8mph, you speed difference on PAS 1 is 4.5 mph, on PAS 5, it would be about 18mph, so on PAS 5, the controller will be trying harder to equalise the speeds by providing more power, but the actual algorithms are complicated, and is muddied by other effects -like back EMF, which cuts down current as speed goes up. Throttle control works the same.

It seems that your PAS1 setting is about 12.5 mph and the controller doesn't have a sudden cut-off for PAS speed control. The old King Meter type was the same, but the maximum speed cut-off was different because it worked from the speed sensor in the wheel, while as the PAS level speed control works from the hall signals, so on PAS 5, your controller will try and accelerate up to the motor's top speed (24mph on old Oxydrive), but the control panel with it's own speed sensor will cut the power as soon as it senses that its maximum speed has been reached. This is where you get the sudden cut-off on the old system. You should try yours on PAS 5 to see if it's the same.

Geoff9

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2012
I'm glad it's all up and running now. It seems to be nicely matched to your bike.

The PAS setting is "speed control", not "power control", so your assumption of 50w is not correct. You'll still get high power when you slow right down. The amount of power you get depends on the difference of your actual speed compared with the maximum speed that the PAS level is set to. As an example, when going up a hill at 8mph, you speed difference on PAS 1 is 4.5 mph, on PAS 5, it would be about 18mph, so on PAS 5, the controller will be trying harder to equalise the speeds by providing more power, but the actual algorithms are complicated, and is muddied by other effects -like back EMF, which cuts down current as speed goes up. Throttle control works the same.

It seems that your PAS1 setting is about 12.5 mph and the controller doesn't have a sudden cut-off for PAS speed control. The old King Meter type was the same, but the maximum speed cut-off was different because it worked from the speed sensor in the wheel, while as the PAS level speed control works from the hall signals, so on PAS 5, your controller will try and accelerate up to the motor's top speed (24mph on old Oxydrive), but the control panel with it's own speed sensor will cut the power as soon as it senses that its maximum speed has been reached. This is where you get the sudden cut-off on the old system. You should try yours on PAS 5 to see if it's the same.
In answer to your suggestion D8veh I have tried the PAS 5 only yesterday..........basically as said before i'm generally running in PAS 1 to ascertain range, for now.
Saying that though yesterday as my range test to that point was 36 miles I concluded the remaining 0.5 miles increasing from PAS 1 - 5 noting if anything was left in the battery.............there certainly was. In answer to your comment the speed went up to approx 22mph (remember my max setting is at 16 [km/hr or mph not sure], and it was still accelerating and I was both running out of standard gears and also out of rode. So at this point I cannot give you an accurate figure yet of PAS 1 range and max speed in PAS 5. you'll have to watch this space.
Oh yes the voltage after 36.5 miles had dropped to 36.5V, thinking that if this type of battery is typical then it's usage would be approximately 28 - 31V before it would be shutting off, which if correct would mean in excess of 40 miles would be capable in PAS 1....I'll find out before long.

A full list of data will be forthcoming at the end of another months riding. [PS: see PM D8veh when Ive written it.]

If it's of nay use then as my mileage had reached the level of approx 34 miles then from freewheel to rotation the controller was coming in at 1 - 1.5 revolutions [as opposed to 0.5 revolutions up to that mileage

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Oooohhhh ! i like that , must be a recumbent, I have one ,not that model mind , bags of fun!!!
Your lLongstaff is a thing of beauty , One never masters the art of trike riding even the recumbent models , I have rolled one twice, one was a windcheater,(Mike Burrows) the other my own
Peter Ross trice , very expensive repair job that was!!
A long time ago when I began riding a Trike I found this picture of a tilting trike:View attachment 4906

could not find any other information on it, but an interesting piece of Trike engineering just the same.

Out of interest i've just been away....out of UK cold [better for my health]... and was studying hand operated recliners....there set ups would allow tidy modification to e-powered systems.Although i'm not yet at the stage of no leg use .

Anyway just info.

cheers
g

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
A long time ago when I began riding a Trike I found this picture of a tilting trike:View attachment 4906

could not find any other information on it, but an interesting piece of Trike engineering just the same.

Out of interest i've just been away....out of UK cold [better for my health]... and was studying hand operated recliners....there set ups would allow tidy modification to e-powered systems.Although i'm not yet at the stage of no leg use .

Anyway just info.

cheers
g
Hi Geoff9,

I think this is the link to the trike:

Click on "FUN ON THE BEND" for details and "Accessories" for the electric version:

TRIPENDO - the three-wheeler that likes bends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcKo6NYTJeI

Original posts:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/6670-recumbent-e-trikes.html#post84586

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5444-leaning-tadpole-trike.html#post69785

Last edited: