Which conversion kit?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cars aren't limited to speed limits, why should electric bikes?
It's a substitute for the user being tested and licenced and the bike being at least annually checked for roadworthiness once ageing, that's the simple answer.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You fail to answer or any proof official body can indeed the fact that you resort to quoting references without any detail whatsoever would suggest that you dont. The bodies may know better but without any evidence they address this issue is unresolved. Your argument is effectively I said it so it must be true. You shed no light on the question.

I am not shouting this has been a concern for sometime I am awaiting with patience for an answer.

Rather than answer the point you are attempting to demonise me the trouble is all you offer are empty taxis. I am not interested in scaring anyone I have an interest in finding out if there is a loophole that will allow you to legally have a bike with a mode adjustment whatever you like to call it that would allow you to de restrict it. The the legal information on this site would suggest that this is not the case, you seem to have ignored that.

What premise do you consider false, Im sure that the industry are well aware that people will tamper with the speed but that is not proof they either condone or its legal. You imply that all manufacturers are concerned about it ,if they did why can you buy 500w, 750w or 1000w motors which are blatantly illegal.

Because you say Just about all ebikes it is not the same as all e bikes are legal as your statement would suggest. They get away with it probably because no one is looking too closely.

Take for instance Bosch they seem to be focused on regulation when producing their bikes, as far as I am aware they cannot be adjusted in terms of speed.

Once again I point out you have no substantiated evidence as for producing that example you ask for, thats nonsense request. You are fully aware as a regular contributor that the chances of prosecution for any infringement are very low. I would be shocked if there are any. The law clearly says the assist cut off is 25kph. please if you reply stick to reasoned argument with facts.

I am not interested in the future I am interested in the present a present you do not seem to be able to define other than make general statements about you or others knowing better.

The fact you have made no comment on the quotation from the legal advice on the site speaks volumes. You have not produced a substantiated argument.

I had hoped to get a coherent reason but this is alas missing, even I dont know or no one knows for sure would have been convincing.
OK, you win. All electric bikeds are illegal. What should we do now? Should the forum close because of incitement to comit offences or should we all put on ninja suits to hide our identity and ride like hell every time we see a policeman, like that scooter rider did?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry I was looking at this certificate for the Barfang motor https://www.cycloboost.com/media/guide/Certificat CE BBS 250W.pdf , this does not cover the speed. I see now that standard quoted was superseded in 2017. The standard configuration of the motor is with an lcd display that allows the user to change the maximum speed. That alone in itself would be equivalent to an non compliant mode which is specifically against regulations. The certificate would on the face of it does not prove compliance with the current regulations, does anyone have a copy of a certificate which states that it complies with the current standard?

The problem with most kits is that the majority seem to have LCDs with similar displays with the same functionality, which on the face of it seems to make these in strict terms illegal.
You are not alone in this thread for making things unnecessarily complicated. The only thing that matters to you as a user is the usage law for pedelecs and that is absolutely specific:

The motor must have a manufacturer rating not exceeding 250 watts.

The absolute maximum motor assisted speed is 25 kph / 15.5 mph.

When riding the motor power can only be applied when the rider pedals and must cease when pedalling stops.

That rider usage law is specified in the 1983 EAPC regulations as modified on 6th April 2015, plus a rider minimum age of 14 years specified in the 1988 Road Traffic Act. Anyone riding an unregistered electric powered bicycle in a public place who contravenes these laws, or permits such riding, commits an offence, regardless of who was responsible for the illegality of the machine.

What technical documents like EN15194 specify is for the manufacturer and isn't relevant to a pedelec rider.

The exemption for a pedelec from being a motor vehicle in type approval law isn't relevant to the rider, the manufacturer makes a pedelec that can take advantage of the exemption.

There's a host of related law that most in here are unaware of, such as the L1e regulations that apply to pedelecs exceeding the legal limits and thus become motor vehicles in law. And the United Nations regulations that also apply then, such as UNC78 on braking efficiency. But again none of this concerns a rider who rides a pedelec that is compliant with the laws specified above.

Last edited: