Which Dealer Would You Not Hesitate to Recommend?

arkwright

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2010
Sorry guys, I know I said in the past I wouldn't disclose the dealer of my bike, but I now feel obliged to, as I won't be able to sleep knowing that someone else might get ripped off by the same company.

Those of you who saw my initial posts on this forum will know some of the issues I had with the bike, mainly the battery, which was 2.5 years old when they delivered the bike, and the tamper seal was broken. I didn't think that they'd do this to me though. :( If you don't know, then check my post history and see the first ever thread I made.

Those who mentioned Poweredbicycles earlier didn't say they bought a bike from them. Unfortunately I did, the Ninja (lithium battery version). The shop itself is called Scattergoods and is of course located in Nottingham, and they trade under Poweredbicycles.co.uk and topelectricbikes.co.uk.

They sold me a bike with an ancient battery, which caused many problems. A bike I cannot pedal because the chain constantly slips, even my local bike shops had a go and only eased the problem a bit. A bike with no manual whatsoever, no service manuals either. I phoned them for a manual, and they said one would be emailed, of course never got it. TETS told me its illegal to sell an ebike without a manual, though I don't know if that's true! I managed to get a PDF of a manual for a similar bike being sold in the USA, which was somewhat useful. God help me when my bulbs blow, as I have no idea how to get to them or what type they are. If I require any parts, I'll have to beg the manufacturer in China. They also charged me £70 for the privelege of delivering my Ninja from Nottingham. They refused to put up my review, but said they'd look at it for no extra charge, if I bring it to their shop myself. I haven't found a way of doing that yet.

They are indeed a big company, I spoke to a lady in Tesco's car park who was riding one of their ebikes, her son got it for her in Nottingham apparently. They might be good for local sales, but I strongly advise against buying anything from them if you're not local to the area. P.S. I also have Asperger's Syndrome, so I don't like speaking on the phone to people I don't know. They never replied to my emails or letters, only got a response when I submitted a negative review, which was just after the warranty expired on the battery. They had 2 months to write, phone or email me during that time when I sent my first letter of complaint before the 6 months was up. Letter was typed and printed, with ALL my contact details on perfectly. I saved all correspondence.

Cheers.
Very odd if you ask me, I've been there on numerous occasions and received nothing but professional and courteous service from them.

The guy who delivered my bike was also very helpful and explained everything I needed to know (I even made him a cup of tea:D ) in a calm and detailed manner.

Sorry to hear of your woes, but it sounds like a case of "You can please people some of the time.....".

I do hope you get a satisfactory outcome.
Arkwright.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
So do I, the problem was I ordered from the internet, I didn't visit their shop in person, though that shouldn't warrant the way they treated me. Because they have not resolved the two biggest problems with the bike (battery & slipping chain) I cannot recommend Poweredbicycles at all, especially if someone wishes to buy something without visiting the shop like I did.

If I knew I was going to have this much trouble, seriously I wouldn't have bothered at all.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
I wouldnt hesitate to recommend Onbike as i had visited a few dealers but Onbike by far has the greatest selection and a shop full of demo bikes. they are in a good place to try them as well along the country lanes and hills. the staff are all very friendly and very knowledgeable to.

John
Agreed! YET, I tried to obtain a discount on one of their high end models and was met with a complete refusal.

Service and choice is subjective. There are many IBDs out there who will and have offered me substantial discounts on models and including some models from the 2011 ranges yet to be delivered.

Whatever choice you make ask for a discount particularly if there is competition on any particular model.

Of course, if the model is specific to one retailer then they can and will stand firm on price. So, service is subjective yet there are IBDs out there who will offer you both good service, a discount and a trial run.
Regards
vectra
:)

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Eddie and Jamie at the Electric Transport Shop, Cambridge shop.

Went out of their way to rectify a fault on my second-owner bike.

Shame they got pulled into a public dispute on this forum.

I found them extremely accommodating especially if you approach the problem with a bit of understanding.

I for one would like to see their return into active participation in this forum.

Last edited:

bjumoja

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2010
The Electric Transport Shop very good service, very helpfull great bike build no issues at all with my custom made Giant Seek 0 24v Bafang setup.

Also Steve at Electric Mountain Bikes very helpfull also very good with off road and custom setups. Great if you want to try things out before you order.