Which e bike for 70 year old

Trek

Pedelecer
Jun 22, 2013
I am in my 70’s with cardio problems. I recently purchased Volt Axis shimano steps mid drive. Hills now no problem never mind how steep. Also a folder which fits in car boot for further excursions. British company parts and local dealer, sorted.

Reactions: liefbike

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
My old man has just ordered himself a Haibike trekking 5 so he can come out for some rides with me (not sure if I’ll be able to get away with my normal bike or if I’ll need get my conversion mtb out, will see how fast he is!) It’s arriving Wednesday, so I’ll post a review when I can get a go. My only experience so far though is my hub motor conversion and a quick ride round the works car park on a Haibike xduro

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The dealer isn't a repairer because he doesn't have the nouse to do so, he is simply a box seller who swaps parts out, all the software stuff is done by a computer that some punches some buttons on.

liefbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2020
When I was younger the idea of 70 year olds on bikes was weird. Now I am one amongst a group of at least 50 ( we are all ex-servicemen), of at least that age, the taunts we receive as MAMILs are easily rejected, because we are in fact past middle age !

WallyM

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
When I was younger the idea of 70 year olds on bikes was weird. Now I am one amongst a group of at least 50 ( we are all ex-servicemen), of at least that age, the taunts we receive as MAMILs are easily rejected, because we are in fact past middle age !
Not so weird, considering that average Age in the UK is 42 years and climbing we will see a lot more . Also the population became healthier and hopefully can enjoy a lot more quality years. I myself dont feel any day older than 20 years ago. Except the hair, but thanks to Vin Diesel and Bruce Willis I now look "cool" and macho :cool: (if there wouldnt be the monopack instead of the sixpack ABS :D

Reactions: liefbike

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
For what it's worth I'm over 70 and I too live in a hilly area. Less than a week ago replaced my 10 year old Kalkhoff Agattu with a Batavus Harlem Ego, which was just about the only bike I could find that ticked all my boxes (those being comfortable upright riding position for a 6-footer, crank motor, full chainguard, 8-speed rear hub, disc brakes, established manufacturer and preferably front carrier as well as back). With 35 miles now on the clock, I could not be more pleased with it.

ETA Should have pointed out that I use my bikes as my sole form of transport, and have done for the last 8 years. I ride all year round in all weathers except when there's ice about. So basically it's a working bike, with occasional leisure use on 20 or so mile round trips hereabouts.

Last edited:
Reactions: liefbike and WallyM