Which e-bike for the wife? (Bosch motor Qs)

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
although the display indicates 90 miles this will be dependent on enviroment ;-

How much you use the assist , what level you use, the terrain ( Hills etc ) , weather ( is it windy - a headwind etc ) , the temperature ( cold eats batteries ) So even if the display shows 90miles on a full charge I would doubt you would achieve such a figure from the information you have supplied already .

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I did 15 miles today flat (I live in a mossland farming area East of Warrington where the only real hills are man made) with some undulating and muddy off road and again, on the tarmac, the motor was off and I maintained a gentle 13/14mph. I used ECO off road most of the time and even a short burst of TURBO in the muddy sections. What I did notice on my display is it quoted a range of 38 miles (I have never had an indicated 90 miles range on the display. That is what the online calculator predicted on my type of usage and weight) and that never wavered from start to finish despite it being based on the last mile of usage!! I got home with five bars still showing on the battery, put it on charge and it was fully charged in 23 minutes! The range was still quoted as 38 miles which is laughable considering I has just done over a third of that and the battery was still virtually fully charged (go figure). Of course if I went the full distance in one of the more power demanding modes then I would hope it would drop but I was told when I bought the bike not to give the range readout too much credence, either way, and that would certainly appear to be the case. So far my battery has never given me any reason to think that the quoted 90 miles isn't feasable, given my type of usage, but I would be happy with half that. What I will do next time I go out is do the whole distance in SPORT and TURBO modes. It's not necessary and goes against the grain but it will be interesting to see just how much it takes out of the battery and I'll keep you updated. You have to bear in mind that I ride for pleasure and speed is not on my agenda. As I stated above, 13/14 mph motor OFF and on ECO mode perhaps 17/18mph. Anything above that is either downhill, motor OFF, or simply just to see what the bike was capable of. I use it for pleasure/exercise so riding around on SPORT/TURBO mode is pointless. I only bought an ebike for confidence, given my medical situation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artstu

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Then I am confused as mine is with the motor off which would indicate the motor isn't doing much even in ECO mode so the battery isn't really being asked much of it? It would seem we just have two different styles of riding with me not really using the motor unless my body demands it. That's just personal preference.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Then I am confused as mine is with the motor off which would indicate the motor isn't doing much even in ECO mode so the battery isn't really being asked much of it? It would seem we just have two different styles of riding with me not really using the motor unless my body demands it. That's just personal preference.
All is revealed in the Strava link.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you are going 17/18mph then the motor should not by law be providing any power regardless of what setting it is on. (as you say: which would indicate the motor isn't doing much even in ECO mode ). It sounds as if you are pretty fit despite your condition and are hardly using any motor power: but I can quite see why you want the motor for confidence.

I certainly can't manage 17/18 on the flat for any length of time on a regular hybrid non-e-bike.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I maintained a gentle 13/14mph.
If you are going 17/18mph then the motor should not by law be providing any power regardless of what setting it is on. (as you say: which would indicate the motor isn't doing much even in ECO mode ). It sounds as if you are pretty fit despite your condition and are hardly using any motor power: but I can quite see why you want the motor for confidence.

I certainly can't manage 17/18 on the flat for any length of time on a regular hybrid non-e-bike.
I'm not sure where or who is doing 17/18mph ?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Has Eddie put in all the settings to get his quoted 66 miles? There are just so many variables that nothing will be able to predict really accurately, but I still think it does a pretty good job for me.
After reading your reply, I went back to do the range test again, and yep by mistake I had missed out a couple of elements of it. :(

It was actually pretty much spot for my normal riding routes here in the UK, but out for my trips to the Swiss Alps, where the range can drop to just 9 miles, but that is with nearly 8,000ft of elevation gain over that distance. If Bosch incorporated elevation gain into the test, then it too would more than likely work out correctly.

Someone must of put quite a lot of work into piecing that together.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I weigh the best part of 20 stone. My Raleigh Motus is fitted with the 300watt base battery and it predicts 90 miles for me. The most I have done is 15 miles and the battery dropped ONE, yes one of the five bars on the indicator. Given that it has progressed into the second bar that would sort of prove the projected mileage is about right. I ride a mix of OFF (simply because you don't need the motor in ideal conditions), ECO and rarely, TOUR. I just haven't come across the need for SPORT or TURBO. However if you are going to ride with the motor assisting you at one of the higher levels (unlikely as you'll realise when you ride one) then range will obviously reduce. The point is though, you just do not need full motor assistance all the time. I'm 70 year s of age with severe spinal disabilities and suffering heart failure and even I'm happy with ECO mode or even OFF as it's rolling resistance is very low. I've only had mine about six weeks but I am amazed just how efficient this motor drive is. Far better than my expectations and, it is priced at an amazing £1650 which, for a branded bike and possibly the best drive system on the market is brilliant.
As a motus user for 2000km I fully agree with you. Lazy sod that I am, I often use the touring position.. and I don't have the health condition you have, but my area always has a lot of wind..

Reactions: SteveB1262

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm not sure where or who is doing 17/18mph ?
SteveB1262 commented As I stated above, 13/14 mph motor OFF and on ECO mode perhaps 17/18mph

Either of those should mean no power from the motor.

It looks that most of us, with our very different terrains and riding styles, are getting surprisingly good results from the predictor when used carefully enough. It could probably be even better incorporating some suggestions above and a little more clarity. For example, I am never sure whether Winchester counts as 'some inclines' or 'hilly'.

It should be particularly easy to consider extreme height gains; most factors such as speed, cycle type and even distance almost disappear leaving total weight, assist level and battery size. I must do some quick calculations on that.

Reactions: Artstu

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
The motor most definitely does assist at 17/18 mph in ECO mode as I can tell when I turn to OFF. I'm in the fortunate position, as I posted earlier, of having a seemingly 'faulty' machine that assists to 22+ mph. I'm certainly not complaining at all and I shall 'forget' to mention it on its first free service. I usually get the 'dud' when I buy anything but in this case 'dud' is very welcome.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Interesting. I remember now you had said that in an earlier post; I had forgotten. I must have a test on ours to see if we are getting any similar assist (if I can get up to 17/18 mph in the first place?)

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
On my ‘quaint’ Quartz I have no means of distance measurement so these arguments kind of go over my head, its just nice to be ‘assisted’ as one comes to a hill or even a slight gradient as my walking endurance is about 100yds before I feel about to collapse and have to sit a while.

Jim

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
On my ‘quaint’ Quartz I have no means of distance measurement so these arguments kind of go over my head, its just nice to be ‘assisted’ as one comes to a hill or even a slight gradient as my walking endurance is about 100yds before I feel about to collapse and have to sit a while.

Jim
You can download a free app from Google Play or the I-store to give you distance and speed measured by GPS on a smart phone or tablet. You just have to persevere as the GPS signal takes a little longer to respond so there is a slight delay. If you can get it to read a constant speed of say 18 or 19mph and then switch off it should tell you. Cycle computers are cheap these days to. Anything from £5 direct from China or £12 or do in the UK.

As for your physical endurance I have the same problem but my doctor told me to use my inhaler for my lungs and nitro spray for heart EVERY time before exercise and it really does help...a LOT. The inhaler opens up the alviolae in the lungs and the nitro the arteries and vessels around the heart. If physical problems aren't your problem but lack of general fitness then stick at it mate. You'll get there. I'm feeling so much better since I got the ebike whereas my mountain bike was on the point of killing me! It may be interesting to give the MTB another try in a few more weeks just to make the comparison but I am absolutely convinced the ebike was an inspired move.

Last edited:

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Still on the subject of cycle ‘puters I've not yet found one that can fit my BB Quartz which has an extremely long steering head (28” h/bar to fork leg) - wireless is no good because of excessive distance between signal head and h/bar, max 24”, not sure about wired type - I’ve bought so much junk that is no use
I have to stop somewhere although I’d still like one that really works.

Jim

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I went out today as the weather is fine with a very light breeze and selected TOUR mode from the off. It gave me an estimated range of 24 miles. I did 12 miles and used TURBO mode twice uphill on the nature reserve otherwise it was TOUR all the way. On getting home the battery indicator dropped one bar, literally at my front gate with an estimated range left of 27 miles!!!!! Work that one out as it beats me. 12 mile journey and my range has increased by 3 miles. As a rough guestimate I reckon that actually equates to about 55+ miles (I just do not give that estimated range any credence at all)) evenTOUR mode. It may just be my style of riding as I ride at a fairly leisurely pace making liberal use of the gears. I always coast downhill and keep a light touch on the pedals on the flat. I may ride differently if I were going anywhere such as commuting but I ride for pleasure. Maybe that's why, I just don't know, but I'm not complaining that's for sure. Maybe in the summer I'll just ride it till the battery gives no more help and see what happens. Of course the battery is still brand new and most certainly will fade with use, same as the bike will age and maybe lose some of its efficiency too. Time will tell.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Unfortunately the range left prediction relies much too heavily on only very recent history (somebody suggested the last mile). Your experience is a little extreme. It could be that the end of the previous ride had quite a lot of up hill, which significantly lowered the prediction end the end of it, and therefore the prediction at the start of the new ride.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
On the Cube Touring One 500 Iridium with Activeline Plus my real world riding from last week suggests a winter-time mixed surface flat range of 220km and a 'some elevation'/'slightly hilly' range (540m of elevation on a 46km ride) of about 130km.
Total weight of rider, bike and gear 125kg; estimated human assist average about 150 watts.
Those are within the ranges suggested by the calculator especially as I don't use assist on flat tarmac sections in the first hour or so of a ride.

Incidentally the 500 is cheaper than the Motus at about £1600 and you can get the 400 Iridium version (which will have 80% of the above ranges) for £1430 currently.

Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
On the Cube Touring One 500 Iridium with Activeline Plus my real world riding from last week suggests a winter-time mixed surface flat range of 220km and a 'some elevation'/'slightly hilly' range (540m of elevation on a 46km ride) of about 130km.
Total weight of rider, bike and gear 125kg; estimated human assist average about 150 watts.
Those are seriously impressive range figures Andy, I really need to try a newer bike, my bike will be 6 years old soon, and I'm guessing my batteries aren't as good as they used to be.

If you're up for a hard test of you and your bike it'd be really really interesting to see how your 500 w/h copes on this route below, I used 700 w/h when I did it. Stu

https://www.strava.com/segments/11318325

Reactions: Andy McNish