Which e bike ?

Markmi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2019
I am looking to get two ebikes they need to be light ish as going on back of motorhome.
Mainly looked at folders as lower weight and can fold and put inside if needed.
I am between
Kudos secret
Raleigh stow e way
Westhill link
Powabyke f100dx
Also been offered a good deal on a none folder that's low weight which is a westhill energise (nice but the very thin tyres concern me as we often use cycle tracks)

Can any help with any advice please ?

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
We have a pair of nano Bromptons for several years and which we love. Go on the back of the campervan- Fiamma rack- and easy to fold to leave inside if away from the van without the bikes. Runs off a 36v power tool battery so easy to recharge from an inverter too. Nanos More expensive than the ones you mention but you can buy a secondhand bike and then get Nano to fit the kits for you.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mainly looked at folders as lower weight and can fold and put inside if needed.
electric folders are deceptively heavy!
The frame and stem are heavier because of the folding mechanism, all the other components weigh about the same compared to normal bikes.
The average 20" folding bike with suspension weighs about 21kgs, 18kgs without.
Also, you can't fit a suspension seat post for comfort.
Small wheels, non-suspended seat post make e-folders with rigid forks unpleasant for long trips.
The only other way to reduce the weight of e-folders is to fit a smaller capacity battery.
If weight is a main concern, get something like a GTech.
I took my Karoo in my car last time I was in France, it weighs 16.4kg, I changed the seat post for a lightweight suspended one:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/2019/karoo/karoo2.jpg

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
electric folders are deceptively heavy!
The frame and stem are heavier because of the folding mechanism, all the other components weigh about the same compared to normal bikes.
The average 20" folding bike with suspension weighs about 21kgs, 18kgs without.
Also, you can't fit a suspension seat post for comfort.
Small wheels, non-suspended seat post make e-folders with rigid forks unpleasant for long trips.
The only other way to reduce the weight of e-folders is to fit a smaller capacity battery.
If weight is a main concern, get something like a GTech.
I took my Karoo in my car last time I was in France, it weighs 16.4kg, I changed the seat post for a lightweight suspended one:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/2019/karoo/karoo2.jpg
All of that is true but not, I think, for the nano Brompton. Light enough still to pick up folded with one hand with battery in bag in other hand. Light enough to lift up onto a Motorhome rack with ease. It rides almost as well as a full size bike and is enjoyable and the rear rubber suspension block works surprisingly well. As for range, depends whether you want to do Tour de France or not. A power tool battery gives adequate range and easy enough to carry a spare. We have full size R and M e bikes as well but for the campervan the nano Bromptons win every time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Markmi

Jul 10, 2019
All of that is true but not, I think, for the nano Brompton. Light enough still to pick up folded with one hand with battery in bag in other hand. Light enough to lift up onto a Motorhome rack with ease. It rides almost as well as a full size bike and is enjoyable and the rear rubber suspension block works surprisingly well. As for range, depends whether you want to do Tour de France or not. A power tool battery gives adequate range and easy enough to carry a spare. We have full size R and M e bikes as well but for the campervan the nano Bromptons win every time.
Bromton is just to expensive unfortunately

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bromton is just to expensive unfortunately
not only that, it's not lighter than a full sized bike with similar level of ride comfort.
I sell a lot of bikes every summer to camping car owners, most of them have racks at the back. The magic weight is about 16kgs - 13kgs if you remove the battery first.
most of us can pick up a 13kgs-16kg bike and put it on the rack. These bikes have usually quick release front wheel, easy to take off and the bike goes into the camper's garage.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What bike would be your recommendation then as you sell loads to campers etc ?
I sell them what they want.
Folding bikes sell well in March and October, April to September normal Kriegers and Santanas.
My old best selling folders was the Zephyr CDN
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-cdn
For you, I would need to know your weight and height and how long/far you want to ride.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What's the wieght without the battery ?
for the CDN? 19kgs. The battery is lockable and removeable but where the lock is (under the main beam), it's messy to unlock.
It uses the same battery as the 26" Zephyr.
I don't make the CDN anymore since 2015. I wait for a new lighter motor before going back to the CDN.
I currently ride this one, 16.4kgs with removeable in frame battery:

Markmi

Jul 10, 2019
for the CDN? 19kgs. The battery is lockable and removeable but where the lock is (under the main beam), it's messy to unlock.
It uses the same battery as the 26" Zephyr.
I don't make the CDN anymore since 2015. I wait for a new lighter motor before going back to the CDN.
I currently ride this one, 16.4kgs with removeable in frame battery:
[/QUOT
Looks good, has it got a really arrow tyre ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the Karoo2 comes with 700 x 28 tyres. I changed the seat post for a suspension post since.