Which e bike?

Borisface

Just Joined
Dec 31, 2019
Hi,

I'm currently considering an ebike and have narrowed it down to three. Each are a little different from each other and so I'm after some advice.
I'm a keen cyclist who has lived in Portugal for the last few years. I do mainly road cycling for fun and fitness. It's mountainous where I live and have no real choice in terms of a flat ride. The flattest ride I do is about 40km and has 800m climbing which takes me about 1h45m. I'm 52 and weigh c90 kgs. However my annual mileage has slipped considerably in the last couple from 8000 a few years ago to 2500 this year. Subsequently, my weight has gone up and partly because it's so hilly my motivation has gone down. The range of routes that I feel I want to do has shrunk. I want to be able to do some different rides but these would be 50-80k with 1200-2000m of ascent, 2-4h riding. Most of the climbs are in the 8-12% range but can be 8k or longer. I just want something to give me a bit of hand on the climbs but also want a bigger battery than the orbea gain and fazua bikes as I want the flexibility of a larger range. Budget is also a consideration.

I would prefer a drop handlebar bike but would consider converting a flat bar bike as I've got a big box of bits. I don't need or want a suspension fork so would swap that over for a straight fork.

The bikes I'm considering all have different motors https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-e-adventure-gravel-e-bike-173101.html

I am drawn to the Wilier but it's a good deal more expensive than the other two and even if I upgrade the forks and handlebars, brake levers, the other two work out hundreds of euros cheaper.
Is the radon with the performance cx motor good for my use? Or would I be better with the cube because I want the range? Or should I just suck it up and get the Wilier?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they are all reasonably good bikes - my favourite of the three is the Wilier.
Lightweight is always top of my list of criteria, followed by good torque.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The motors are different, but broadly similar.

The CX and Shimano are the most powerful, although I suspect the Active Line Plus would be sufficient for your needs, even if you need to use Turbo setting a little more often.

It comes down to the style of bike you prefer.

The flat bar bikes are better integrated, the Willier almost looks like a kit installation by comparison.

That may - or may not - be important to you.