Which e bike

RRB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2023
Hi, back again, I ned further help, I am looking for a 26'', maybe 6 speed electric bike, just for pleasure, maybe riding a couple of times a week, mainly road, I have up to £700, there are so many bikes around for sale it is boggling especially if you don't anything about the reliability, guarantees etc of a new bike, can anyone advise me please, I am totally lost to which bike I should choose, thanks in advance of your help, in UK btw

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
I don't think that there's anything of reasonable quality available for £700. Maybe there is but I haven't seen it. I'm going down the DIY route.

I picked up a reasonable bike on ebay yesterday for £180 and will install a mid drive kit from Woosh (prices from roughly £600 upwards). That's where I see the value. In fact, local ads are full of bikes for not much money.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
£700 is pushing it for a new electric bike; its very unlikely to have a worthwhile guarantee whatever the sellers say. (previous post got in as I was typing. I agree conversion is a good way to go; but even with a good 2nd hand bike you'll have difficulty getting under £700 total with a decent conversion.

Lots of second hand electric bikes. Main issue there will be the battery. It might seem fine on a test ride, but very difficult to be sure it's good, and how long for.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Yep, you are going to struggle at £700...another £200 gets you a Decathlon, so local support if you need it

or cheapest at £550, but single speed and possibly no support from seller (other than a refund)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hi, back again, I ned further help, I am looking for a 26'', maybe 6 speed electric bike, just for pleasure, maybe riding a couple of times a week, mainly road, I have up to £700, there are so many bikes around for sale it is boggling especially if you don't anything about the reliability, guarantees etc of a new bike, can anyone advise me please, I am totally lost to which bike I should choose, thanks in advance of your help, in UK btw
You were asking before about the Eleglide Citycrosser - £899 on Amazon. To be fair, it looks to me not to be too bad given the price point... it even has a torque sensor, mech disc brakes, 36v/10Ah Dorado(?) style battery, 7sp Tourney gearing, front rack/mudguards/stand etc.

The question I'd be asking is "who's going to do the maintenance"? Eleglide do seem to support (supply on their website) the essential parts like replacement displays, motors and batteries, but in this review of the Eleglide T1 the biggest complaint and review mark-down seems to come from Eleglide expecting an awful lot of DIY assembly. If the assembly and ongoing maintenance is within your skill-set it may work for you. Acting on the warranty though may be an issue given Eleglide appear to be EU based?

As mentioned, you can get the well liked Rockrider E-ST100 from Decathlon for a similar amount where you have a network of UK dealers who can offer that assembly and ongoing repair and maintenance "locally".

From what you've said, an alternative choice may even be a foldable 20" wheeled 7-speed Fiido D4s... it's been around for yonks, is well proven, spares easily available, and being foldable you can put both his'n'hers on a train or into a car boot and venture off for ever more adventurous 10+ mile rides as you propose. It's a bit of a gift right now at £645 because it's about to be discontinued, but it is a relatively well known dependable budget brand who do honor warranty claims and it is within your £700 budget.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
£1k ouch! half the price for the same kit and battery from Aliexpress or pswpower...or Woosh will be cheaper

View attachment 51155
You are forgetting Darren @BEB will fit the kit and make a neat job , it might look dear but if one lacks skills to do the job then get it done proper. Plus with Darren there is no dodgy warranty or issues with language issues.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
You are forgetting Darren @BEB will fit the kit and make a neat job , it might look dear but if one lacks skills to do the job then get it done proper. Plus with Darren there is no dodgy warranty or issues with language issues.
Fair enough, didn't realise those prices were fitted. Mind you, as we all know, it's not too difficult to fit a Bafang mid motor and Hailong downtube battery (extra riv nuts aside), and to do a neat job too, and would encourage anyone to have a go, there's so many youtube guides let alone loads of info on here.
Certainly worth the £600 saving even considering the potential warranty hassles (although PSW/Yosepower seem quite helpful by some reports), plus a sense of achievement when done. But I guess some folk don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other - candidates for either a prebuilt ebike or BEB conversion

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Brilliant to hear that Darren is still around.

I bumped into him many years ago on the South Downs, and he certainly came across as being a genuine guy, that was passionate about ebikes. Glad to see that he is seemingly doing well.