Which e mtb better buy

Sadaz

Just Joined
Jun 5, 2019
Hi guys
Can't decide which bike is better value for the money, better spec? Cannondale Moterra 1 2018 xl or scott e-spark 720 2018 L? I add that I am 6'1 have no much experience riding mtb. Just need the bike for road during week and light off road weekends at start. I started looking hard tail with more hybrid tyres. But noticed that full suspension on them can be locked while riding on road and for the dropped price 2600 £ on the both bikes this could be better buy. Can't decide which one is better spec. Please help one is bosch other shimano.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
Does not seem you need full suspension. It adds extra weight, extra cost and the geometry of full suspension, may not be ideal for commuting.
I would re-consider a hybrid, or at least a hard tail MTB
In the mean time. Both bikes have good components, at this point you need to choose between Bosch and Shimano. Everyone has a different opinion on that one. Check them out in person

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
bosch other shimano
I’m on my third Ebike, currently enjoying a cube with a Bosch ALP motor.
It has a full size chain ring and no internal gearing so there’s little to no resistance riding off power or above the cutoff speed and its quiet.
My previous bike also a cube with a Bosch motor, fun for the 3 years I had it but the motor had the smaller chain ring and was internally geared, it was noisier and harder to ride with the power off than my current bike with the full size chain ring.
Bosch’s 2019 motor to replace the CX will have a full size chain ring !

Out of the two bikes your considering I’d go for the Shimano motor but question the need for full sus, a bit like buying a range rover to take the kids to school, overkill ;)

Sadaz

Just Joined
Jun 5, 2019
Thanks for answer
You probably right saying that I don't need full sus, Only matter is this bikes are huge price reduced as ex display or few miles on clock. And if I bored or stop using it would be easier to sell it off losing less than if I would go for hybrid or hard tail similar priced. Do you think riding e full sus bike on road would make big comfort difference to hybrid or hard tail? It is probably 3kg more for back sus. I will try them Saturday but it will be hard to chose anyway after riding on the car park. Thanks for your input.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
If your after comfort a full suspension bike will give you that in leaps and bounds over anything else whether on or off road
Don't get me wrong I am a massive fan of hard tail frames but over long rides you can't beat a full sus frame
As for weight unless your carrying the bike around you won't notice

On a personal level I can't see me going back to a hard tail only (i have both) and the long rides even on the black stuff are much more comfortable than any hard tail

Out of your choices it would be the Scott hands down especially at your size as they tend to have longer top tubes for more cockpit room
There also really well made frames

What I will say thou as a finisher is only you ultimately know what's best for you so try and get out and have some test rides
Happy hunting

Kenno

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2018
Hi
If your after comfort a full suspension bike will give you that in leaps and bounds over anything else whether on or off road
Don't get me wrong I am a massive fan of hard tail frames but over long rides you can't beat a full sus frame
As for weight unless your carrying the bike around you won't notice

On a personal level I can't see me going back to a hard tail only (i have both) and the long rides even on the black stuff are much more comfortable than any hard tail

Out of your choices it would be the Scott hands down especially at your size as they tend to have longer top tubes for more cockpit room
There also really well made frames

What I will say thou as a finisher is only you ultimately know what's best for you so try and get out and have some test rides
Happy hunting
Yep. only you can decide which one, but try a hardtail with a sussy post fitted, and a good selle gel comfort saddle. Full suspension are nice and trick, but so much more to maintain if they are used as they should be, and if not look stupid as a road bike, you will get tired of the unnecessary boinging up and down, you can lock them out but no point getting them. Motor wise, I tried the Bosch and Shimano, and didn't really like the STEPS system over the Bosch.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
you will get tired of the unnecessary boinging up and down, you can lock them out but no point getting them. Motor wise, I tried the Bosch and Shimano, and didn't really like the STEPS system over the Bosch.
I dont want to muddy the thread with a hard tail is better than full sus or vise versa post but ,
"Boinging up and down"
Full suspension design in linkage and shocks is far more sophiticated than that these days
I dont get noticeable peddle bob on my current bike or the one i had in 2015 both are pedelecs and the rear shocks are far more tuned than just full lock out and full open settings most have three settings with a lock out which never fully locks the supension but instead allows impact absorbing for hardish hits
A middle setting which allows climbing and trail riding or full open for down hill blasts all are controlable with rebound adjustment too
I will say i have had a hard tail mtb for many years 35years actually and am still a massive fan of them still owning and riding one on a regular basis back to back with the full sus and have tried a suspension post (suntour and cane creek thud buster ) and found them both to be bouncy and undampened when hitting bumps , they do help a bit with harshness but are no comparison even on the road to a well sorted full sus
I will agree thou there is more maintenence with a full sus but a good quality bike will go years without bushes for example my last full sus a 2015 Ktm macina didnt have any bushes or wear in 5000 miles of 50/50 riding between commuting and red and black runs
As for motor comparisons again thats personal there both good and you wouldnt go wrong with either but if off power drag concerns you stay off a small cog bosch cx as the drag is just to noticeable compared to others including the shimano e8000 and thats after putting over 12k on 3 cx motors and enjoying them and only 500 miles on the shimano so far but even in that short time i wouldnt go back to a small cog bosch over a full size cog motor

Again thou only you can decide i just felt to explain a full sus as basically an undampened disaster on the road was un justified and totally misleading comparison between hard tails and full suspension .

Now get out and try some bikes :)

Sadaz

Just Joined
Jun 5, 2019
Thanks for reply. Went for cannondale moterra lt1. Think the components looks a bit better than scott. It was hard decision coz 2 bikes looks amazing. Only concern is the size xl. Dropper post seat sitting on the bottom and fully open is just right. Didn't have a chance to test properly but hoping I be fine. 6.1' is always between.

Reactions: Fat Rat