Which ebike for under £1500?

jazzyr85

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 23, 2021
Hi all, I’ve recently been bitten by the ebike bug after converting my Brompton into an electric, and am now considering a full sized electric.

I’ll be using the Brompton for commuting so the full size would be mainly for fun, but nothing too crazy. I mainly cycle along the path alongside the riverbank here.

I’d like a Dutch style step over.

I’m 5’7” male, average - slightly overweight but not too heavy.

I’m about to move into a 4th floor apartment, so would need to be small and light enough for me to be able to manoeuvre it into the elevator if possible.

I also live in Northern Ireland if that makes a difference.

D

Deleted member 33385

I’m about to move into a 4th floor apartment, so would need to be small and light enough for me to be able to manoeuvre it into the elevator if possible.

When your elevator breaks down: I have to move my bike upstairs to the PC in the bedroom to reprogram sometimes. I find the best way to move it upstairs is to push it alongside me with my one hand on the rear brake, taking one step at a time. Moving it downstairs is best done backwards, one step at a time, while gripping the banister and bike very tightly. Best not drop it.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Look at Woosh Santana (not available right now?) and Santana CD (available?).
Also look at https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/search/step_through/

Whoops, didn't read the first post as well as I should have. The Santanas are almost certainly a bit heavy and bulky. Look at https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta, but probably a long wait.

Yes, a heavy ebike is best avoided. The elevator will break down. My ebike weighs slightly less than 20kg, but it's still a heart blood pumping effort moving it up and down one flight of stairs... and you'll have at least four. Get something bloody light.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When your elevator breaks down: I have to move my bike upstairs to the PC in the bedroom to reprogram sometimes. I find the best way to move it upstairs is to push it alongside me with my one hand on the rear brake, taking one step at a time. Moving it downstairs is best done backwards, one step at a time, while gripping the banister and bike very tightly. Best not drop it.
Have you tried vertical on the back wheel and at least one hand on the handlebars where you can control it with the brake?

D

Deleted member 33385

Have you tried vertical on the back wheel and at least one hand on the handlebars where you can control it with the brake?

Is that going while going up or down? Without a white knuckled grip on the banister? Going down, it goes backwards. I lift the front off the steps completely till the next step, while holding onto the handbar stem and the banister. The steps stop it sliding back, just enough. It take a breather when I need to, which is frequently. When going up, I lift the front completely off to the next step while holding the back brake as needed - walking the bike up alongside me.

I thought of putting in a ramp down the stairs so I could go shooting out of the front door, over the lawn and into the street ...

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
A 2nd hand bike of your choice and a bafang kit would come within your price. I'm very happy with the BBs01b mid motor I fitted to my hybrid.