Which hydraulic brake sensors.

PhiltheFluter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2019
Hi,
Are all the hydraulic brake sensors similar, or is there something I should be looking for. I've seen these real cheap ones:
Will they do the job just as well as pricier ones?
Many thanks for any advice/input.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you need the brake sensor that fits your cabling system.
Typically, the controller is connected to the instruments on the handlebars with a '4 to 1' bus cable. The largest manufacturers of these bus cables are Higo and Julet. The brake sensors for Bafang cannot be used on Julet bus cables and vice versa.
If you use Julet cableset, the brake sensors can be connected via 2-pin red plug/socket or 3-pin yellow plug/socket. You have to use the corresponding sensors.
2-pin system has only signal and ground, they either have mechanical switch (normal sensored brake levers) or reed switch (as in Tektro sensored hydraulic brakes).
3-pin system has 5V, signal and ground. They are for inline hidden brake sensors or Hall brake levers (like those supplied with Bafang BBSes).

Reactions: PhiltheFluter

PhiltheFluter

Jun 9, 2019
Lovely, thank you Woosh. I have yellow 3 pin. My instructions say I can manage without the sensors, but I fancy adding them anyway.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's quite pointless fitting two, only one is needed. I prefer to fit it on the rear brake as that is the brake I use most as a holding brake.

PhiltheFluter

Jun 9, 2019
It's quite pointless fitting two, only one is needed. I prefer to fit it on the rear brake as that is the brake I use most as a holding brake.
I hadn't even thought of that, yeah back brake sounds good.
Saves me a little job. Cheers.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The unused brake julet then needs blanking off to prevent moisture ingress with heat shrink.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Even when you get ones with the wrong connector, it's no big deal. You just cut off the connectors and join the wires. Connectors are nothing but a source of problems. They're simply not needed.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I hadn't even thought of that, yeah back brake sounds good.
Saves me a little job. Cheers.
You haven't mentioned the bike or what riding you do.

tWhilst I totally agree about just one being required but, personally, and as a mountain biker first and foremost I am well used to using my front brake As the main one....and so place it there.

On my hybrid, general commuter bike it it is on the rear. Horses for courses but placement depending on riding style is worth thinking about

PhiltheFluter

Jun 9, 2019
You haven't mentioned the bike or what riding you do.

tWhilst I totally agree about just one being required but, personally, and as a mountain biker first and foremost I am well used to using my front brake As the main one....and so place it there.

On my hybrid, general commuter bike it it is on the rear. Horses for courses but placement depending on riding style is worth thinking about
I still need to check the bike out(I'm in hospital ATM) in the flesh, but I've been given a Cube Aim Pro 29er hardtail hybrid with hydraulic brakes. Most of my riding will be in town, but on towpaths, bridleways, a disused railway line, woods(with good quality paths). In the past I've tended to use the back brake more.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Even when you get ones with the wrong connector, it's no big deal. You just cut off the connectors and join the wires. Connectors are nothing but a source of problems. They're simply not needed.
Sorry to hijack this tread, but I did this as the (Bafang I believe now) waterproof hydraulic sensor I bought for a Lishui harness is opposite to what I need (why do they do this? Grr), so both connectors are male. After cutting the plugs off, how do I know which wire connects to which (3 wire), please?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Bafang is a Higo connector and the Lishui probably a Julet connector even if the M/F connectors were correct they would not work as the wire sequence is different.

Tell us the wire colours, generally 5v/Red goes to Red or Brown, Gnd / Black goes to Black or if no Black then Yellow and signal is the two wires remaining.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Both Julet. Bought this:

Instead of this:

Thank you, I will strip them tomorrow and look as they want 30 quid inc huge shipping fee:

Last edited:

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Okay, both the plug on the incorrect male sensor has identical wiring to the Yose male harness plug:

Join red to red etc or Does this mean I should swap red and white over when I connect as would be reversed in the female plug of the proper sensor?

Last edited:

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Worked perfectly for a while, displaying an error code on the screen when the brake was pulled, which is how I thought it must work, but then I lost drive permanently with this code flashing. I thought the magnet must have dropped off or moved but no. Introduced another magnet and nothing. Figured sensor failure and disconnected the recently soldered three wires and all was normal again, much to my relief. I began to suspect that my Lishui kit didn't like the Bafang sensor.

As an experiment I plugged in one of the Wuxing cable brakes which I couldn't use and worked just fine - with no error code!

It seems to work differently as looks like just a simple microswitch to me (could be reed inside still I guess):

Oh well, reluctant as I am it looks like I will have to spend the 30 quid and order the proper one and hope nothing was damaged, but so far it looks like I got away with it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Worked perfectly for a while, displaying an error code on the screen when the brake was pulled, which is how I thought it must work, but then I lost drive permanently with this code flashing. I thought the magnet must have dropped off or moved but no. Introduced another magnet and nothing. Figured sensor failure and disconnected the recently soldered three wires and all was normal again, much to my relief. I began to suspect that my Lishui kit didn't like the Bafang sensor.

As an experiment I plugged in one of the Wuxing cable brakes which I couldn't use and worked just fine - with no error code!

It seems to work differently as looks like just a simple microswitch to me (could be reed inside still I guess):
View attachment 38660

Oh well, reluctant as I am it looks like I will have to spend the 30 quid and order the proper one and hope nothing was damaged, but so far it looks like I got away with it.
It's a normal push-to-break switch withe two wires. One wire goes to the brake signal wire and the other to ground - either way round.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
So third not needed?

I have identified the two which short, either by pressing the switch on the kitted cable brake (black/white) or removing the magnet on the wrongly bought reed switch (black/red).

So, if I wire the reed switch to the harness black to black and red to white it should work fine?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
So third not needed?

I have identified the two which short, either by pressing the switch on the kitted cable brake (black/white) or removing the magnet on the wrongly bought reed switch (black/red).

So, if I wire the reed switch to the harness black to black and red to white it should work fine?
Test it with a bridge if you're doubtful.