Which is best Synergie e-bike or Alien

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hiya i am looking to buy 1 of 2 bikes either from Alien special or the Synergie Ridgerider i cant make up my mind would appreciate any advice also would consider trying out a kit i have 2 mountain bikes but they both have supension on i dont know if they would be suitable.
Also has anybody seen on ebay the 48v e-bikes for only £300 this is the link for it NEW ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN BIKE FULL SUSPENSION on eBay, also, Bikes, Cycling, Sporting Goods (end time 02-May-09 20:30:58 BST)
I have asked some questions but i haven't had a reply yet propbly tomorrow another thing does anybody know Aliens Tel phone number i have asked for it but they have never given it to me.
Regards Sammy

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I have a strange suspicion that Alien and Synergie are the exact same company :rolleyes: - if not they are very closely linked. Its a bit poor that Alien will not provide a telephone number (nor an explanation for why not) when requested but then again it might be exactly the same as Synergie :D

It seems that the Alien bikes are converted "normal" pushbikes whilst the synergie ones are purpose built e-bikes. I would go with the Mistral TBH if you have a choice between the two..

AlienOcean,
Alien Bikes,
Unit 1 Nexus Business Centre
Burnside Court, North Road,
Inverkeithing, Fife
KY11 1NZ

Europa (Synergie) Bikes,
Burnside Business Court,
North Road,
Inverkeithing
KY11 1NZ

Tel: 01383 428999

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks Alex it is very interesting that they are in the same business park so it makes me wonder whether they are connected.
Sammy

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Just my opinion - I don't think they are connected at all. Their website design, graphics, advertising style and language as well as the way they sell their bikes and business model seem entirely different.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Just my opinion - I don't think they are connected at all. Their website design, graphics, advertising style and language as well as the way they sell their bikes and business model seem entirely different.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

but very mysterious none the less :cool:

bigskelf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2008
near Perth
www.woodenquaich.com
or not

As far as I can remember, Alien use to be based out of what I assumed was bob's home in Kinross. 30 mins up the M90 from inverkeithing. I also seem to remember that he had a full time job and that was why he only communicated by email.

Synergie also have another business selling steel buildings, they were always based in inverkeithing.

perhaps Synergie have bought Alien.

JohnnyB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2009
Synergie or Alien

Hi Sammy06forever,

Have you made a decision yet? I have been looking at both too. I am not sure whether a rear hub motor or a front hub is best. I suspect that the Alien Gents Special would be more suitable for me - being quite tall. Looking at their advert styles I would think they are one and the same company - although I could be wrong!:)

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hi Sammy06forever,

Have you made a decision yet? I have been looking at both too. I am not sure whether a rear hub motor or a front hub is best. I suspect that the Alien Gents Special would be more suitable for me - being quite tall. Looking at their advert styles I would think they are one and the same company - although I could be wrong!:)
Hi JohnnyB sorry i have not answered sooner my partner is looking for a bike as well so i haven't got any further in search for a bike i have been looking at different kits there are so many i dont know which 1 to go for any advice from anyone?
Regards Sammy

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Synergie Mistral

All I can tell you is that I have owned a Synergie Mistral for about a year and it is a thoroughly comfortable, practical and pleasant to ride bike. The lighting kit that comes with it is rubbish but the rest of the bike is of a very reasonable standard for the price.

I have ridden Wisper and other more expensive makes and cannot for the life of me see how the extra money for them is justified.

On the Wisper you get both pedelec and throttle settings, a 36 volt system, front suspension and decent mudguards plus chain guard. I would not claim you will get perfection, but you will get a good bike which is reasonable value for money these days.

Good luck

Rod

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
All I can tell you is that I have owned a Synergie Mistral for about a year and it is a thoroughly comfortable, practical and pleasant to ride bike. The lighting kit that comes with it is rubbish but the rest of the bike is of a very reasonable standard for the price.

I have ridden Wisper and other more expensive makes and cannot for the life of me see how the extra money for them is justified.

On the Wisper you get both pedelec and throttle settings, a 36 volt system, front suspension and decent mudguards plus chain guard. I would not claim you will get perfection, but you will get a good bike which is reasonable value for money these days.

Good luck

Rod
Hi Rod
Thanks for you reply i have been looking at the synergie site they look like they are good bikes it is a shame about the lights on them. I have seen that other people say the same as you, you would think that they would do something about improving the lighting system on the bikes.
Regards Sammy

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Hi Sammy, the first thing I noticed about that bike (apart from the great price!) is that it uses 4 sealed lead acid batteries. These are heavy, very heavy and weigh in at 18kgs all told! To put that in perspective I have an electric full suspension mountain bike which although it only runs at 24V for 10Ah, only weighs 24kgs including the battery, motor, accessories, etc. The battery itself only weighs 4kgs.

That is a heck of a lot of extra weight to be carrying around and you will be getting close to the legal maximum weight (40kgs) for a road legal ebike. I'm very sceptical of the total 32kgs quoted weight since that would put the bike at 14kgs including motor and the motor itself will weigh a good few kilos. Full suspension mountain bikes tend to weigh anything from 16kgs upwards, so I would guess this bike's total weight at nearer 38kgs. I don't know how the extra weight would affect handling since I've never ridden anything that heavy, maybe others have and could comment.

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Hello Sammy

Just noticed a mistake un my reply to you. It is the Synergie that has the mudguards, front suspension etc - I believe I said Wisper. Of course the Wisper has very good front suspension but rather rudimentary mudguards and no chainguard.

I certainly would not recommend a bike with four lead acid batteries. I got rid of my excellent Powabyke Commuter because it had three lead acid batteries and weighed a tremendous amount.

Hope all ths helps.

Rod

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hello Sammy

Just noticed a mistake un my reply to you. It is the Synergie that has the mudguards, front suspension etc - I believe I said Wisper. Of course the Wisper has very good front suspension but rather rudimentary mudguards and no chainguard.

I certainly would not recommend a bike with four lead acid batteries. I got rid of my excellent Powabyke Commuter because it had three lead acid batteries and weighed a tremendous amount.

Hope all ths helps.

Rod
Hi Rod
Thanks again any advice is always welcome as i am new to the E-Bike world.
Regards Sammy

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hi Sammy, the first thing I noticed about that bike (apart from the great price!) is that it uses 4 sealed lead acid batteries. These are heavy, very heavy and weigh in at 18kgs all told! To put that in perspective I have an electric full suspension mountain bike which although it only runs at 24V for 10Ah, only weighs 24kgs including the battery, motor, accessories, etc. The battery itself only weighs 4kgs.

That is a heck of a lot of extra weight to be carrying around and you will be getting close to the legal maximum weight (40kgs) for a road legal ebike. I'm very sceptical of the total 32kgs quoted weight since that would put the bike at 14kgs including motor and the motor itself will weigh a good few kilos. Full suspension mountain bikes tend to weigh anything from 16kgs upwards, so I would guess this bike's total weight at nearer 38kgs. I don't know how the extra weight would affect handling since I've never ridden anything that heavy, maybe others have and could comment.
Hiya Caph
Sorry i havent answer sooner i have been having trouble with my bike i dont think i will go near that bike with it's large batteries it is far to heavy for me as i suffer with my back i am going to look round for somthing more suitable for me maybe another folding E-Bike i am not in any rush i am going to see if i can fix my Magic Motion folder.
Regards Sammy

Wooky

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2009
Near Barnstaple, Devon
I have a strange suspicion that Alien and Synergie are the exact same company :rolleyes: - if not they are very closely linked. Its a bit poor that Alien will not provide a telephone number (nor an explanation for why not) when requested but then again it might be exactly the same as Synergie :D

It seems that the Alien bikes are converted "normal" pushbikes whilst the synergie ones are purpose built e-bikes. I would go with the Mistral TBH if you have a choice between the two..

AlienOcean,
Alien Bikes,
Unit 1 Nexus Business Centre
Burnside Court, North Road,
Inverkeithing, Fife
KY11 1NZ

Europa (Synergie) Bikes,
Burnside Business Court,
North Road,
Inverkeithing
KY11 1NZ

Tel: 01383 428999

Hi,

On the website Bob does say:

'Please also note that I work full time and use the following friend's address purely for the occasional return so I won't be there! I am based just outside Kinross and usually only visit the unit when it's necessary.'

So Synergie is run by a friend.

He goes on to say: 'I am also not available to contact by phone due to work commitments'

He is very responsive by email though, very helpful & accommodating :)

I'm a customer not any relation btw!

Regards

Wooky