which is more secure?

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Opinions or advice please.

Meadowhall in Sheffield (where i live) has new facilities for bikes.
At one side is Sheffield stands and the other side bike lockers.
The bike lockers are locked by bringing your own padlocks, though the shackle for the padlock is quite small and cannot cope with a good quality padlock that often has a thicker loop of metal to put through.
Therefore the padlock used will not be as secure.
No fixing area inside the bike locker to use a D-Lock to secure your bike inside the locker.

The area is right next to the meadowhall's security box for delivery lorries.
The security man sits in a glass box 12hours a day and looks striaght out onto the sheffield stands and bike lockers.
A children play area is right next door.
Also a security camera covers the area.

Here's the question....
Which would be more secure.....

1. Lock my bike to the sheffield stand with a Kryptonite New York 3000D With 7ft Kryptoflex Cable.

2. Put my bike into the bike locker with only a low secure padlock attached.

Hope you can help as always.

regards Bob.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I'd opt for the bike locker since there's so much surveillance over that. Scary for a would be thief. Although it only takes a moderate thickness lock shackle, there are some on the market that have very hard steel shackles that are quite well shielded by the lock body, making it difficult to get bolt cutters into position to cut.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Put it in the locker and put the Kryptonite New York 3000D With 7ft Kryptoflex Cable round the frame and wheels.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I'd put it into the locker but make sure you get a lock that isn't pickable or openable by using one of the well publicised 'tricks' that affect many locks. I don't think the strength of the lock is a big issue here with the surveillance but if a theif can casually walk up and open it in a couple of seconds with a pick then that would seem to be the main danger.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Adding to my post above, the big advantage of lockers is that unless the thief sees you putting the bike in, they've no idea what value bike is inside, so no idea if it's worth the risk.

I'd guess the thieves would go for the bike stands every time.

JK1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2008
If you can immobilize the bike in the locker with a good lock, not only has a thief got to break into the locker under the gaze of the cameras, he still has to remove the bike lock or risk attention carrying it off with the lock in place.

Wonder why they haven't included anchor points in the lockers which would be more secure.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
If you can immobilize the bike in the locker with a good lock, not only has a thief got to break into the locker under the gaze of the cameras, he still has to remove the bike lock or risk attention carrying it off with the lock in place.

Wonder why they haven't included anchor points in the lockers which would be more secure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

if there is one thing i dont like about my Quando is the faffing about i do when going somewhere and leaving it, i take off my speedo,keys out, fold down steering column and then 3 bendy chain cables...which is the biggest thing i like about my brompton bike now, when i go to the post office or other close places where i used to go on Quando..i fold it up and under my arm and take it in with me...no wondering if some swine has pinched or damaged me bike locked outside, sometimes being locked too securely is a way to get it damaged as they get so frustrated at failure to pinch it they vandalise something instead...a sad place we live.:(

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I like any multiple approach no matter which you choose.

It's true though, that different areas require different levels of concern towards preventing a bike theft. Sometimes, you don't need to worry that much; sometimes you'd like to have one of thoses cloaking devices of science fiction.