which kit

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I have just got mine. About 50 arrived yesterday at Woosh.

it's dead simple to fit. Unplug the LCD, plug the bluetooth inline. Here is the demo Big Bear with bluetooth fitted:

Bluetooth? Does this link to a smartphone? What does it do?

sent via huawei P9

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I haven't tested it myself but I was told that you only have to scan the QR code on the bluetooth adapter with your android phone, accept to install the app, then you have a copy of the LCD on your phone with a few extra functions.
It may be not much but I need it for a bike hire project.

Reactions: Andy88

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And the LCD can be put away somewhere out of sight and out of mind and out of the rain!

Extra functions like setting LVC to 36.5 V for 10S LiPo for example...

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
And the LCD can be put away somewhere out of sight and out of mind and out of the rain!

Extra functions like setting LVC to 36.5 V for 10S LiPo for example...
I saw a cube bike with detachable lcd, worry about theft when out and about

sent via huawei P9

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can screw the display to the holder if its a bosch bike or get the new purion display.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I haven't tested it myself but I was told that you only have to scan the QR code on the bluetooth adapter with your android phone, accept to install the app, then you have a copy of the LCD on your phone with a few extra functions.
It may be not much but I need it for a bike hire project.
Off the cuff how difficult and how much to switch the derailleur wheel and gearing controls to a nexus or sram hub gear on the big bear?

sent via huawei P9

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you'll need a 26" rim laced to the hub gear, say a Nexus-8 and Nexus-8 shifter. Take the old wheel out, disconnect the gear shifter cable, remove the grip and old shifter, install the new shifter. Remove the old derailleur.
in all, about 40 minutes. You don't need any special tool.
Oh, you will probably want to get a fully enclosed chainguard at some stage.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
you'll need a 26" rim laced to the hub gear, say a Nexus-8 and Nexus-8 shifter. Take the old wheel out, disconnect the gear shifter cable, remove the grip and old shifter, install the new shifter. Remove the old derailleur.
in all, about 40 minutes. You don't need any special tool.
Oh, you will probably want to get a fully enclosed chainguard at some stage.
Im guessing it would push the price up by £200 plus the best way.

sent via huawei P9

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You will need drop outs which will take the hub gear axle.

Most derailer ones won't.

Filing is a bodge and may, or may not, work.

If the drop out needs fully remaking, it's a welding job.

Chain tension is something else to consider.

The existing drop outs certainly won't be sliding ones, so you may need a chain tensioner.

Chain line is another thing, chances are it will be OK, but you will have a very sticky problem if it isn't.

So doing the job to a decent bicycle engineering standard is far from simple, and could be time consuming and expensive.

Slapping on a hub gear wheel and hoping for the best could be done in 40 minutes.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If I get the factory to make it, they will have to use the right dropouts.
On the Big Bear, you can retain the old derailleur and lock it in position to act as chain tensioner or fit a £10 chain tensioner.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If I get the factory to make it, they will have to use the right dropouts.
On the Big Bear, you can retain the old derailleur and lock it in position to act as chain tensioner or fit a £10 chain tensioner.
A factory build wasn't quite the question though, was it?

You know the bike far better than me, but the rear doesn't appear to be quick release.

If so, that's good because there's a fighting chance the axles will be the same or similar diameter.

Gearing will need to be tinkered with.

The existing front ring will be ridiculously high geared with a hub gear at the back.

A suitably sized smaller one ought to fit, but it's more time, trouble and expense for the home mechanic.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I only answer to a hypothetical question.
The Sunbear is currently out of stock until probably July next year because of shortage of storage space. There is a demo Sunbear somewhere in Southend if the OP is interested when he comes back to the UK.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
A suitably sized smaller one ought to fit, but it's more time, trouble and expense for the home mechanic.
by and large, customers are happy with the smaller ring on the Sunbear but a few pointed out that they could do with a larger ring, especially if they derestrict the Sunbear.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Mounting the gear change mechanism is another - apparently now hypothetical - problem.

Shimano hubs have at least two types of mechanism.

My Alfine 11 has an armature that sits inside the chainstay.

There's no guarantee that would clear the stay on a frame originally designed for derailers.

I've no idea how the mount works on the hubs which have an external mechanism, but it looks like it could foul a chain tensioner or derailer pressed into service as one.

All-in-all, the job is a nightmare.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'll ask Jim @ woosh if he can drop a hub gear into the Big Bear seeing that a few people may be interested.
Here is how it's done on the Sunbear: the fixing is a clip. Note the dropout.

Last edited:

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I'll ask Jim @ woosh if he can drop a hub hear into the Big Bear seeing that a few people may be interested.
Like we discussed b4 there comes a price point when a cube or bergamont can be had all done at around 1550 quid or less.

sent via huawei P9

• Agree
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, I agree.
I think Chinese bikes are only competitive when costing under $700 ex factory, that's £1500 in the shops. Above that, savings on assembly in China become insignificant.

poptop

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2015
Well coming towards end of my week away. Son's wedding and trip around Devon. Dorset .
Had many discussions with guys on here and some dealers.
The folding bike I like is the woosh but having tried it and compared it with an axis model ( in honiton dealer) may have spelt that wrong. I found a bit of suspension really smoothed things out in a retail carpark.
This folder was over 1k.
Similar spec to Woosh gale.
Also a friend living in honiton having bought a 1.5 k mountain bike . Non electric has had so many issues with disc brakes he was really pissed off biking in scotland recently.
So I'm thinking Gale with simple brakes. Front fork suspension. No dealers 400. 00 mark up looks really good deal.
Taken me 2 years but this this bike with bigger battery. fits my current needs and good intro into electric folding bike.