Which Kudos

ChrisCM

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2014
I already have 2 electric folders which we purchased to use at our apartment in Spain, the first time I used one I was blown away with how good they were and they are only cheap 24v bikes from Halfords!
The only thing is, good though they are I worry that they may not stand up to off road riding (and they are in Spain!) so I want to get another bike for here in the UK and to take with me in on the car. I do not envisage any serious mountain biking but do want a bike that can be used on off road trails and that will take the odd pot hole and steep hill.
I am taken with the Kudos range, both in their equipment levels, looks and price. I have narrowed it down to the Arriba or the Tornado, what is the difference other than the better? brakes, number of gears and the Thun RT torque sensor, I suppose what I am saying is is the Arriba worth the extra £200?
Also, is it possible to fin a rear carrier to this type of bike?
Thanks
Chris

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
get the Tornado. Same motor and battery but simpler electronics, more natural to ride and cheaper too.
The Arriba has excellent hydraulic brakes, that's the main difference.

Reactions: paulcdb

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I think I rode the Tornado at the Eden Project event last year. I liked it a lot.

If I were in the market for a ready built bike, that's the one I'd go for - the BPM motor has a great reputation.

Edit: Does anyone know if Kudos will be at the Bristol Event this year?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also, is it possible to fin a rear carrier to this type of bike?
Thanks
Chris
Yes Chris. If the frame doesn't have the mudguard stay fixing holes for it to attach to, there are clip kits you can use.

On this link, click Rear Racks to see a large choice of racks, and if fixings are needed, click Rack Spares to see those.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont

ChrisCM

May 11, 2014
Well, finally decided and plumped for the Tornado, I thought the Typhoon may have been a bit large given my rather short (29) inside leg. I ordered my bike from Kudos on the Friday before the Bank Holiday and it was delivered at 9.30 on Tuesday, super service Kudos and Interlink!

First impression? what a big box! Once I got it out I was very pleased, the white colour is actually a pearlescent finish, very nice, all the attached kit seems well made, fitted and finished. All in all, a lovely looking bike!

My only gripe at this stage was a lack of any instructions other than for the power/speed/odometer controller. But all I had to do was put on the pedals (15mm oe spanner) and rotate and fix the handlebars here I wasn't sure how to tighten them up, I initially tightened the single Allen bolt (5mm)running down through the headstock but later found that I should have tightened the two Allen bolts either side of the headstock (4mm) :rolleyes:
Other than theses tools the only other one you may need is a phillips/pozi screwdriver for adjusting the position of the bell etc. if needed.

he lead which comes with the charger is not fused and I doubt very much that it meets the BS1363 specification. I had another lead which I could use so no problem for me, but perhaps something Kudos Dave could look into?

Now for my first short ride, due to other commitments I could only take it on a very short test ride (this was where I found I had tightened the wrong handlebar bolt!) - wow, very impressed at how easy it was to pedal and how easily it coped with the hill leading to my property a very happy bunny! (no hops though Kudos Dave)

I have now completed several (to Me) longish runs totalling and the bike has performed very well, power on or off, what is surprising is the difference in the power levels, this is particularly noticeable if you with down from 2 to 1 it feels like the brakes are on!, shows how much help you are getting. What I love is that I can go up all the hills round here without having to get off and push! but I still feel I am having good exercise without it being a hard work out, great fun!

I particularly appreciate how well the bike goes with the power on 0 (so I can use the odometer, which is pretty accurate according to my GPS), I went out for a ride with my wife at the week-end, she has just bought a new Boardman hybrid, so in order to show solidarity I did not use the pedal assist and I had no problems keeping up and occasion leading her up hills, so i's no slouch as a "Standard" bike. She tried the Tornado, and I think, secretly, she wishes she'd got one of these rather than the Boardman!

Battery life, well I haven't run out yet, still trying to get to grips with what the gauge is telling me, for instance, I did about 14 ½ miles yesterday probably with the assist on 1 or 2 for half of it on the hills and long inclines, whist going up my "killer" hill using level 5 the power meter dropped to one bar then moved up to 3 as we levelled off, a couple of miles later, still uphill I got home, the battery gauge is now showing 1 bar down from full! I imagine that it is simply reading voltage, not the remaining amp hour capacity?

Advice on charging would be useful, should I charge after every ride (10-15 miles at present) or should I leave it until I have done say 20-30 miles over a few days, I wouldn't want to run dry before my "killer" hill!

So, all in all I am very pleased with my bike, the service from Kudos was fantastic! I'm looking forward to taking my bike to Scotland next week to pit it against my brother who is a serious road bike racer :)

BTW Jimod, got the carrier you suggested off Amazon and the seat post clamp off e-bay, all fitted no problem, was even able to keep the mudguard under it . Thanks.

Reactions: Jimod and LEBC Tom
D

Deleted member 4366

The battery indicator lights work just like a voltmeter. The voltage sags down whenever you take a lot of power from the battery, so you'll see the lights going up and down. You can't really use them to predict range other than the fact that they gradually on average work their way downwards.

Charge your battery after every ride. You get more power like that, less chance of running out, and less chance of problems.

Darcini

Just Joined
Jun 10, 2014
To the op, I'm in a similar dilemma to yourself re which Kudos.
How do you/anyone else find the noise of the hub drive? I'm wavering between one of the hub driven models or the crank drive Eiger, if either are significantly quieter then the other it may help me to reach a decision.

ChrisCM

May 11, 2014
Hi Darcini,
Difficult one, as I said at the start of this thread, I have got 2 front wheel drive folders as well as the Tornado, I've also tried a Whisper rear drive and another rather expensive one with a crank drive (sorry can't remember the name) they all make a noise but my impression is there's not a lot of difference. I have not tried the Eiger but I would assume it will much the same. Be assured it is not a loud noise!
The noise is a kind of mechanical whirring sound not a hum. I don't know if you have heard an e-bike but if possible have a try on / listen to any e-bike, Halfords have a few if there is one near you?
Have you spoken to Kudos? They should know!
Chris

Darcini

Just Joined
Jun 10, 2014
Chris, I've heard a few different motors but neither of the two particular Kudos models I'm interested in. There seems to be conflicting views on which is the quieter system, particularly when all the other factors are thrown in the mix, geared or not, the specific brand of hub drive/crank drive etc. etc.
Ideally I would try both bikes out but as far as I can see there just aren't the retailers who hold demo stock within any reasonable distance (east Cheshire area)
Unless anyone knows otherwise?