Which Off-road/ Hybrid for disabled speedster?

Abi-Abster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
TL;DR: Pedal-free, off-road/ hybrid bike (available on Finance) needed for disabled person (5’9” weighing up to 11st) who likes to go up big hills and dirt tracks. And speed.

Evening All!
My legs don’t work so well, so I’m looking for an off-road or hybrid bike which doesn’t require me to peddle.
I’m on board with all the legalities, but it’s been twenty years I’ve been unable to cycle and I desperately need to be back in the saddle, so to speak.
I’ve been watching the e-bike/ speed pedelec market for a few years now in the hope that the prices drop as it becomes more popular in the U.K. and batteries etc become cheaper, but unfortunately it ain’t happening.
Meanwhile, the kids are 9 and 11 now, and I’m missing out on family bike rides with them and my husband. And they’re not going cycling as much as they’d like, purely because I can’t!
We live by the Sussex Downs in an area where both on and off-road cycling is hugely popular, and go on holiday to Scotland a few times a year where there are dirt tracks as far as the eye can see. And hills - big ones!
We’re not too far from Brighton either, so a bit of on-road cycling is equally valid, especially when pootling around town with the kids.
My husband likes to go cycling along the towpath at lunchtime the days he’s working from home, and I long to join him - especially on the days I’m so wobbly I’m housebound.
Back in the day I owned a few de-restricted mopeds, and I enjoy having a bit of wind in my sails - and more!
I’m on a limited budget so need to be able to buy the bike on Finance.
I want something fast so I can bomb about feeling free and independent like my inner self, something slow to keep pace with the kids and my husband, a bike that’s off-road, on-road and enables me to access the ‘able’ world while I’m riding it.
We have great e-bike shops in my town (I loved the Cube bikes and the various Kalkhoffs) but their stock was all peddle-activated and required too much energy for me. Plus I’m not rich enough!
I’ve mainly been looking at Cyclotricity Stealth bikes because that’s what google keeps bringing up in my price range, but am sure there must be many more affordable cheeky cycle brands and models out there that I’m missing.
It’s my birthday in a couple of days, and having been ill over half my life now, I feel I need to kick off my 42nd year with a bang and get my old self back a bit - with the help of an electric motor!
I’m 5”9, strong (great core thanks to yoga) but with wobbly legs. If I exercise - ie; peddle - I get more ill and my chronic pain gets worse.
I’ve got a 4mph mobility scooter which drives me bananas (couldn’t afford faster), so would love some proper oomph on my electric bike.
Any and all suggestions gratefully received for the impossible dream I’d love to realise :-D
Cheers,
Abi.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bafang-Mid-Drive-Electric-Bike-Kit-BBS-01B-BBS-02B-BBS-HD/332102833566?hash=item4d52df159e:m:mEhDmc__6KyrCBsTZRewK-A

insat can also make a custom batt for it but one here is cheaper.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EU-Tax-Free-BBS03-48V-1000W-Bafang-BBSHD-Mid-Drive-Kit-68-100-120mm-BB-Width/332375911111?_trkparms=aid=888007&algo=DISC.MBE&ao=1&asc=49138&meid=fb3cd5bddce247d89e6694edac9c02a3&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=332102833566&itm=332375911111&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

pay pal does finance but id not recommend it. if you get the programming cable then you can hit well over 40mph so you have to decide if speed or range is what you want.

you also need to think about what is going to happen if you crash at these sorts of speeds off road as a decent full face helmet is going to cost £300+ on its own.

he can fit the kit if you provide it and a suitable bike but you are looking at £1500-2000+ a 200 quid toys r us bike is not going to cut it.
https://www.brightonebikes.co.uk/

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
At Spezi (German special bike show) this year there were a significant number of off road trikes some of which which mix hand power, leg power and electrical assist.

Not cheap but no more expensive than some other mobility solutions.

Abi-Abster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
A new zealand company does offroad wheelchair based on segway. Think Segway with seat. Doubt its cheap but gives excellent mobility.
https://ogotechnology.com/
Love it Trevor, but I’m lucky enough to not need quite so much assistance most of the time. Plus I have a mobility scooter already. Not nearly as cool as the Ogo of course, but then it only cost £150 secondhand - from a lovely 87 year-old lady who didn’t need it!
Thanks for taking the time to reply (twice)! Much appreciated.
I had a good cry at the videos too: the Ogo is just breathtaking and I’d swap my mobility scooter and more for one in a heartbeat - if they didn’t cost £12K+!

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
have you ridden a Segway? it is not difficult to learn but...

Advertisers