Which one I should go for?

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Hi everyone

The time has come to find me an electric bike too. The budget is low so looking at used and ex demo.

My wife has a wisper 705se that both she and I like. But I would like something a bit different.
I am 95 kg so just under 15 stone 5'9".

Found this big bear plus:
I am very interested in this one as the big bear always appealed to me however the owner said it is a few years old but only done 230+ miles. And has a spare battery and some upgrades that seems like a good deal. But I am not sure hence I am asking here. It is £750

The second one is a wisper 905se ex demo 3 months old with 130 miles and 375ah battery.
Currently for £900

I would lean towards the woosh but since I will be towing a trailer but the age and that I am under 15 stone and (hoping to lower that) I may not be heavy enough for the front hub.

Could someone look at the listing on Facebook and let me know how risky it is to get the woosh. Or am I better going with a bike straight from wisper even if it is more expensive and ex demo.

Thank you
Greg

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Thanks Amoto65

I do like the look of the 905se but I always wanted to try different brands and the woosh have a lot of fans and recommendations all around too.
What seems to appeal even more that there are according to the ad:
"got upgraded handlebars, Air Forks, Nobbly Off Road tyres, Pedals, SR Suntour NCX Suspension Seat Post, Saddle Bags, Air Horn (Very Loud), Mud Guards, Mobile Phone and Keys Holder and most importantly a spare battery."

I just can't tell if it is the bargain I think it is or there are any apparent issues to the more experienced eye.
Also there might be other risks I don't know about.

I agree that the 905 is a great and safe option and I will go for it if I feel the risk is too great.
Thanks
Greg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both bikes will be good for the money, and both will support you with spares should you have an issue.
The Woosh has a BPM front hub which is very pokey but not to every ones liking, it may suffer wheel slip and the steering ride feel can be a bit quirky but you get used to it.
The Wisper has a rear wheel drive so no issues really to have with ride feel.

I doubt you will be disappointed with either for the money.
Just seen your remark that you will be towing, I would favour a rear hub for towing.

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Both bikes will be good for the money, and both will support you with spares should you have an issue.
The Woosh has a BPM front hub which is very pokey but not to every ones liking, it may suffer wheel slip and the steering ride feel can be a bit quirky but you get used to it.
The Wisper has a rear wheel drive so no issues really to have with ride feel.

I doubt you will be disappointed with either for the money.
Just seen your remark that you will be towing, I would favour a rear hub for towing.
Thanks Neal
You must spend a fair amount of time on this forum giving advice. For that I thank you.

Yeah the possibility of wheel slip and the fact that the trailer is tugging on the back make me a nervous about bear. I guess it's gonna be another wisper. I do like the the woosh batteries for their 15ah though... But unless there is a Santana 3 coming up second hand soon it will be the 905.

Cheers
Greg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I like what the owner did to improve his Big Bear!
his Raidon fork is totally impressive, plus the NCX seat post sure make the bike extremely comfortable!

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I like what the owner did to improve his Big Bear!
his Raidon fork is totally impressive, plus the NCX seat post sure make the bike extremely comfortable!
Thanks for replying woosh
Just when I thought I made a decision....'thanks'

But seriously what do you think of my concerns of wheel slip and towing a trailer with 40kg overall weight.
I think since I am pretty much new to biking the ride feel I will not see as an issue.

Anything else to add? Age problems or other issues?
I realize that this will not mean a new sale for you but I always preferred your bikes. I would appreciate more info.

Thanks
Greg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But seriously what do you think of my concerns of wheel slip and towing a trailer with 40kg overall weight.
it's generally not a problem if you weigh more than 15st (95kgs).
The reason for that is you need to put enough weight on the front wheel to avoid wheel slip.
If you are going to buy the Bear, you should test ride it before taking it away.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Marwood Hill had the Bigbear for towing and he eventually fitted a rear hub too as the traction for towing wasn't great. He made a lot of mods to his set up.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it was Marwood Hill that made me introduce weight check on all enquiries on Big Bears. If I remember correctly, Marwood weighs 11 st.

Gergeyl

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Thank you everyone

I really liked the big bear, and wanted it to be suitable for me but I am 94kgbat the moment and I will lose more weight with exercise and I will be towing.... sadly the big bear is out.

The 905 might also been sold so it's back to square one... If the 905 for some reason doesn't get sold I will go for it.

Otherwise I keep a lookout for something else.

Thanks for everyone's advice
And if someone knows about an alternative up nearish the lake District feel free to let me know I am always happy to look at new candidates.

Cheers
Greg