Which one would you go for?

Ebiker555

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for an ebike which I plan to buy this weekend & came across this site which has been very helpful.

I have a budget of up to £1500 & specifically looking for a Hybrid (not MTB). I need to be able to do a 20 mile round trip for my daily commute. 90% totally flat & no hills thankfully.

Whilst these two are under my budget could any forum members give advice about these options - any obvious red flags? Both are the same price £999 & both 250w/rear hub motors with 36V Batteries

Option 1 - Decathlon - Riverside 500

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-500-electric-hybrid-bike-id_8405314.html
* This model has adjustable fork suspension that can be locked.

Incidentally over the years I have bought standard Hybrid bikes from Decathlon before & they have been pretty good & lasted well

Option 2 - Halfords - Carrera Subway

* Fixed suspension forks

I am happy to spend the extra £500 if you can maybe recommend something more powerful?

Any advice/thoughts/recommendations from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the decathlon has larger battery (418WH against Halfords 374WH), suspension fork against Halfords rigid fork.
These two differences alone would justify £100 difference.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Suntour /Halfords range are not without issues so don't get one and then come back moaning about it.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
Seeing as the bikes are similar, I would weigh the competency of the in-store mechanics.
I know Decathlon does not hire the brightest or the best. So, a thorough check of your bike needs to be done after you purchase it

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Seeing as the bikes are similar, I would weigh the competency of the in-store mechanics.
I know Decathlon does not hire the brightest or the best. So, a thorough check of your bike needs to be done after you purchase it
My local one in Brighton has a seriously experienced and great lead bike mechanic. He has worked in many independent LBS in the area. I keep running into him

Halfrauds on the other hand ...

Ebiker555

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2019
Update:

Thanks for your responses.

I have ruled out the Halfords bike based on some of the other reviews on here & the reported customer service issues.

For those interested in the Riverside 500 link I posted I rang Decathlon head office they said the Riverside 500 e-bike is not due to be released until earliest mid/late August as it is still undergoing extensive product testing in France. Also for some unknown reason only the 'Medium' size frame will be available in the UK upon it's release.