Which solution for short (but hilly) commute

CrouchingWayne

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Hi guys

I currently live around 1.8 miles from work (each way) on the cycle route so I am keen to try change my commute from the car (shameful) to something else.

The way to work is all downhill, the way back is obviously all uphill with a fairly steep section.

It's a professional job (slacks, shoes and shirt) and given the distance I'd prefer not to have to change at the end but also not to get covered in mess.

Trips into town would also be useful (18mile round trip) so would like to have the option to do that.

I really want an Urb-E mainly because it looks fun, but I think they are illegal in the UK.

Beat Bike looks similar, but legal and cheaper, was mentioned but not read a lot about them - any good on the hill?

Other option I guess include a Wisper 805?

Foldable is not crucial but would be handy for convenience - if going into a shop would be nice to wheel it around instead of carrying a lock.

Any suggestions or guidance? Not many stockists near me unfortunately.

Cheers

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Wayne,a brick with wheels would do the downhill so it's the uphill that is of consideration. You are going to give us some more info to recommend a bike,perhaps you would look on my website to advise what style you like.
Any BPM motored bike has greater hill climbing power....that is all my Mountain style bikes plus the Rapide and Sonata. For a folder there is my Secret or the K16. Maybe a sports style like the Alamo or Stealth. Or maybe the new Sprint.
I looked up the beat bike,my K16 would be a much longer range(10.4Ah battery),more comfortable with bigger wheels(16") but still light enough(15kg)to be walked around folded,not expensive at £735.00,available black,white,lime green or pink.
It also depends on your budget,we stock most of the KTM range,I like the KTM Fun as a ride to work bike.
Await your valued ideas.
KudosDave

Last edited:

CrouchingWayne

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2016
Aberdeenshire
I'll need to take a break and work out what I want - I quite like the look of your Secret, but also the Almo attracts! Thing with the Almo is it would be a pain to ride in a suit though.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I'll need to take a break and work out what I want - I quite like the look of your Secret, but also the Almo attracts! Thing with the Almo is it would be a pain to ride in a suit though.
The Alamo and Stealth are the current fashion phase that e-biking is moving into,....narrow low rolling resistance tyres,sports frame,concealed battery,big chainring,sports mudguards etc. Would look good in a Paul Smith suit riding into Canary Wharf.
I use the Secret a lot myself,it is a very good hill climber,now with a 10.4Ah battery and bigger chainring,dual height telescopic seat post.
There are so few good dealers in Scotland,because of that I am prepared to send up an Alamo or Secret or both ,if you don't like either you pay the return carriage,must be returned in as new condition.
Hope that helps.
KudosDave

CrouchingWayne

Just Joined
Aug 20, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Yea the Almo is closer to what I'm used to - I've got a Planet X road bike (that doesn't get enough use). That said, maybe I don't need to then get a second and could look at a Secret style bike. Where are your dealers?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Wayne, where are you based? We are in the throes of opening three new stockists in Scotland so our sales manager is there this week with samples. If you would like to try the very powerful 806Torque he will have on on the van.

If you are considering the trip into town the 905 model would be far more suitable.

All the best

David

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
Given the very small distance, maybe a single gear Gtech bike would be good enough. They seem to be getting very good reviews, are light and maintenance free (carbon belt).

Also, you can try for free anyway.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Given the very small distance, maybe a single gear Gtech bike would be good enough. They seem to be getting very good reviews, are light and maintenance free (carbon belt).

Also, you can try for free anyway.
He said hilly and no sweat in a suit. So that rules the Gtech out.