Which supermarkets allow folding bikes to be carried inside?

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I had never carried my folding bike into Tescos before. Folded my bike into a trolley, wheeled it into the lift. As I exited the lift, a security guard nodded a greeting, I nodded back. After I walked my bike past he asked "Is it a bike?" He said the bike was ok but I had to remove my helmet. "People need to see your face", he said. So I removed my jawguarded helmet and put a covid mask on.

Others have reported problems carrying in their folding bikes. My bike is a 20" Dahon Bafang BBS01B conversion, not a Brompton.

Has anyone had problems carrying their folding bikes into supermarkets? I'll try Aldi next.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I took my Brompton into Woodlesford Co-op last week, left it folded, tucked in by the end of the tills while I shopped. No problem. I don't think anyone noticed.
It's best to seek forgiveness than permission in this situation.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
If I had a folding bike to take into shops I'd probably take a folding bike bag and put it in that. I'd get the largest trolley and just take it around like that so the folding bike is always with me especially if it was a high value bike like a Brompton or ebike. I can't see them complaining if kept in a bag so would not mark the trolley. That would be one of the huge benefits of a folding bike in that situation.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
If I had a folding bike to take into shops I'd probably take a folding bike bag and put it in that. I'd get the largest trolley and just take it around like that so the folding bike is always with me especially if it was a high value bike like a Brompton or ebike. I can't see them complaining if kept in a bag so would not mark the trolley. That would be one of the huge benefits of a folding bike in that situation.
My bike cost me about £1000 in all. Making shopping transport easier was one of the reasons why I bought a folding bike, and it felt great finally getting to carry it in as intended. I didn't have a bag with me, because I was cycling back from work and suddenly realised I needed to buy supplies. Thought I'd see if I was stopped. Maybe next time?

I used a small trolley, so there wasn't much room left for shopping. I only needed to fill a rucksack this time. Lifting the bike out of a large trolley would have been quite hard work, as they are quite deep. Wasn't sure of it would have fit on top of the small platform some supermarket trolleys have for folded prams. I didn'n't see pram platforms Tesco's large trolleys, but Aldi and ASDA large trolleys do have them.

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I took my Brompton into Woodlesford Co-op last week, left it folded, tucked in by the end of the tills while I shopped. No problem. I don't think anyone noticed.
I'll try Aldi and ASDA next, with a bagged bike with pannier bags plus a rucksack.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Not had a problem with taking the Brompton shopping.

It pushes around like a shopping trolley on its own small wheels.

The Litepro Easy Wheel add on makes the Brompton more stable whilst being pushed.

I have just fitted some omni wheels for the other set of wheels to make steering it easier, going to test it tommorow, Primark and Poundland.

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I have just fitted some omni wheels for the other set of wheels to make steering it easier, going to test it tommorow, Primark and Poundland.
They allow you to wheel your folded Brompton in shops? Please do report on how it goes with Primark and Poundland. The Tesco security guard told me my bike was allowable because it was in a trolley, and not being wheeled around. My folding Dahon can roll on it's 20" wheels when folded, but it was convenient carried in a shopping trolley. It would have been hard lugging 10kg of shopping about in a basket, while also pushing the bike. That Tesco superstore is massive.

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
"The mask is ok," he said.

Sep 13, 2020
I agree. Once it's done it's done - you can always say you didn't know if it's not allowed. Chances are nobody will notice anyway.

Whereas if you ask in advance and you get a refusal, it's asking for problems if you then go ahead anyway.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I dont think you are allowed even if it is folded. Something I remember reading about health and safety and once in an exhibition center the security complained as I'd brought my bike in. Said it was a fire hazard.
I pointed out the petrol laden cars they had on exhibition, but left anyway.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Products which contain lithium ion batteries may be carried in as luggage, which theoretically are also fire hazards; laptops, mobile phones. shavers, electric toothbrushes... In future, I'll fold my bike into a bag before carting it in.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Visted Poundland, Primark and Tescos. No problems.

I normally push the folded Brompton with the seat up about 30cm. The OmniWheels work very well you can steer the Brompton round corners by pointing it with the apex of the saddle.

The OmniWheels are the cheaper plastic ones, there are more heavy duty ones made in alluminium of the same size. We shall see how they last.

On the furry mats at entrance to some stores, a bit of extra ground clearance would help, might sort that with a couple of triangles of alluminium on the end of the rear carrier.

Passed 81 cyclists on my journey, 2 of which were wearing Lycra.

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Passed 81 cyclists on my journey, 2 of which were wearing Lycra.
Doesn't that stuff remove all hair from legs? I've never worn lycra, but synthetic thermal underwear does. Not a manly look on the beach for blokes, totally smooth hairless legs. They may be more aero.

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Visted Poundland, Primark and Tescos. No problems.
Cool! If I'm stopped I'll say "Well you let Stuart in!"

I normally push the folded Brompton with the seat up about 30cm. The OmniWheels work very well you can steer the Brompton round corners by pointing it with the apex of the saddle.
So you have to push it while crouching around the shop? I could do the same with the Dahon, but there could be the option of using the full height of the seat tube, which in my case isn't tall enough because it's not the original Dahon seat tube... it had to be changed, because it wouldn't accommodate much comfier generic saddles. I'd have to get the compatible very tall Tern telescopic version to not crouch, and to see what's on the higher shelves.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
So you have to push it while crouching around the shop?
You dont have to, but its less obstrusive that way, the Brompton does fold small.

The alternative is to leave the handlebars up and pull it or push it around like a trolley. Some of the front Brompton bags are arranged so that they Brompton turns into a shopping trolley;

Brompton Shopping Trolley