Whisper 806 options for fibromyalgia

Fandango

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2020
Having tried a couple of bike, mainly for comfort due to fibromyalgia and arthritis, I have decided the Wisper 806 is the one for me! I managed to step through reasonably easily. The Dutch style bikes required too much ulnar deviation on the wrists and were quite uncomfortable. We have a campervan and a car, so it is easier to have folding bikes. We would be getting two.
I see the issue of fibromyalgia, chronic pain and fatigue have been covered before on here. I'm wondering if any of those who asked questions are still around and can help with final decisions.
I am heavy and unfit, my hands and feet will hurt from cycling (hopefully the more exercise, the better it will get). I can get fatigued, but I only "hit the brick wall" a few times a year and that is usually in the morning.
Is the torque option worth considering/ extra cost? I'm thinking, it gives extra range, but if I'm struggling would it be too tiring - or would it be worth the effort?
We live on a slight hill, so the last part of any journey home will involve a hill. It will be used for shorted journeys around town, to and from work occasionally and for leisurely rides out when off in the van. My primary aim is to increase my fitness, increase the range of movement on my knees and have little adventures!

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The torque option is much more 'natural' but (as you have suggested) can limit help when you need it most. I think you would be better off with cadence sensor. Ghost pedalling cadence sensor bikes are really helpful to get you knees moving with no stress. That said, if you put a torque sensing bike on maximum assist for the hills you don't have to push that hard on the pedals, but you still do need to push.

From what I have read the 806 is a nice bike, but handlebars are pretty easy to change if you find a bike that otherwise suits but doesn't come nicely to your wrists. You need to make sure that the final straight hand section is long enough for the controls.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Fandango

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2020
The torque option is much more 'natural' but (as you have suggested) can limit help when you need it most. I think you would be better off with cadence sensor. Ghost pedalling cadence sensor bikes are really helpful to get you knees moving with no stress. That said, if you put a torque sensing bike on maximum assist for the hills you don't have to push that hard on the pedals, but you still do need to push.

From what I have read the 806 is a nice bike, but handlebars are pretty easy to change if you find a bike that otherwise suits but doesn't come nicely to your wrists. You need to make sure that the final straight hand section is long enough for the controls.
Thanks for your answer, I must admit it's all very new and confusing to me! Luckily I found the handlebars comfortable, but you never really know until you've tried it for a long time.
Where we looked today seem to have the torque in stock, otherwise I think it's going to be a wait for the cadence ones

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for your answer, I must admit it's all very new and confusing to me! Luckily I found the handlebars comfortable, but you never really know until you've tried it for a long time.
Where we looked today seem to have the torque in stock, otherwise I think it's going to be a wait for the cadence ones
Hi Fandango, just a quick point, if you twist the throttle on a Torque model, this will override the Torque settings so you can "ghost" the pedals and get full power just as you can on the cadence bike.

All the best and thanks for considering a Wisper, David