Whisper Grips

ipm1073

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2009
Hi all, my first post on the forum so please be gentle lol. I bought a whisper sport and a powacycle a couple of months ago and have been enjoying the electric bike experience immensly!
I have been getting some pain and tingling in the lower palms of my hands, my question is has any one had any experience with the Ergon GC2 hand grips and do they fit the whisper grip at the throttle side of the bars?
Thanks in advance for any answers and may I say this is about the friendliest and most informative forum I have yet come across!!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Welcome!

I had to get new grips for my wisper. was advised on here that motorbike ones were the only way.

Can't see how the ones you are considering will work with a throttle, even if they fit. as the have a sort off built in rest that would be useless on a right side throttle doncha think?

maybe experiment with your riding position and adjusting the handlebars so you are not putting all your weight forward?

ipm1073

May 14, 2009
Thought of either getting the shifter version of the Ergon grip or cutting a standard one down a bit so as to leave the half throttle grip on the whisper.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thought of either getting the shifter version of the Ergon grip or cutting a standard one down a bit so as to leave the half throttle grip on the whisper.
Ah......I have an older 2008 wisper with full throttle.

Just looked at my wifes new 705 which I guess is the same as yours. and you could try as you suggest I guess...... but those grips are expensive. Someone may be able to suggest something better:)

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I find a simpler solution is to wear slightly padded gloves, which have the same affect as a larger diameter grip ~ they also damp out some of the vibration.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I know what you mean now.......Just back from a ride on my wife's bike and boy is the half throttle painful! I had no idea it was this uncomfortable. Any one any ideas? or are padded gloves the best bet.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I know what you mean now.......Just back from a ride on my wife's bike and boy is the half throttle painful! I had no idea it was this uncomfortable. Any one any ideas? or are padded gloves the best bet.
I almost got used to it after a couple of weeks and started to not notice the problem after I relaxed my grip, I still prefer the full throttle but wouldn't consider it an essential upgrade.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Would a generic thumb throttle be any better? You'd lose the power button, and the wiring would need some investigation, but with the keyswitch on the battery I don't suppose this is an essential.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
maybe a thumb throttle would be better, do you have to keep them pressed all the time?

Am only taking my wife's bike out occasionally to keep the battery conditioned but I will end up with one of these half throttles myself as I am down for a new 906. I will try the gloves first and investigate the conversion next.

Why did they change to this set up..... surely most of us prefer the full throttle?

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
cheap grips from Halfords

my solution to the half-thottle, gel grips, was a cheap pair from halfords, cut to fit, leaving the gel palm rest to absorb the bar shock.

note the thumb tabs to enable the throttle & the gear twist shift, this transfers the throttle & gear action to the thumb & forefinger on each hand.

beeps

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
I have been getting some pain and tingling in the lower palms of my hands, my question is has any one had any experience with the Ergon GC2 hand grips and do they fit the whisper grip at the throttle side of the bars?
Thanks in advance for any answers and may I say this is about the friendliest and most informative forum I have yet come across!!
Hi JPM
Bit late with the reply I'm afraid. I have a Wisper 905se (older model with full width throttle) and solved most of my early wrist problems by careful repostioning of the handlebars. Another possibility is to change the bars from a flat bar to something with a more back swept design. This take some of the pressure off the ulna nerve and should help considerably with the numb fingers problem.
I had this problem quite severely on my Ridgeback Meteor (conventional bike) that I often use. I fitted that bike with ergon GC2 grips and they were a very great help. Although they solved the numbness problem for me I still changed the flat bar design on this bike to a riser bar which has further improved its comfort significantly.
Haven't tried to put the grips on my Wisper, though if I was I would probably consider going down the thumb throttle route.

Hope this helps.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the bikes!

Phil

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
my solution to the half-thottle, gel grips, was a cheap pair from halfords, cut to fit, leaving the gel palm rest to absorb the bar shock.

note the thumb tabs to enable the throttle & the gear twist shift, this transfers the throttle & gear action to the thumb & forefinger on each hand.

beeps
That's an interesting looking bike, how well does it climb the stairs :D .

Phil

ipm1073

May 14, 2009
I have just ordered up Ergon GR2 grips from chain reaction so I will let you all know how I get on trying to fit them on my Whisper, wish me luck cause they were £35 lol.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have just ordered up Ergon GR2 grips from chain reaction so I will let you all know how I get on trying to fit them on my Whisper, wish me luck cause they were £35 lol.
No H in wisper (bikes) :)

try and load a picture when you get it done Are you going to cut the throttle side down? How?

ipm1073

May 14, 2009
I ordered the nexus version of the ergon grips(right hand grip at 65mm instead of the standard 132mm) but will still have to trim it for the half throttle, I recon taking about 10mm off it will do the job, but we will see. yes i will try to take pictures and post them.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I ordered the nexus version of the ergon grips(right hand grip at 65mm instead of the standard 132mm) but will still have to trim it for the half throttle, I recon taking about 10mm off it will do the job, but we will see. yes i will try to take pictures and post them.
I may do likewise when I get the new bike as my hand is still hurting from yesterday:rolleyes: . I got the motorbike ones recommended on here and they fit great except a bit to long so you end up with a soft bit at the end.......no big deal really:)

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I found the floppy end a bit weird at first as well, but the tradeoff between that and not getting numb little fingers after half an hour was a no brainer. It was one of the best and cheapest mods on my Wisper 905se, the softer rubber motorcycle grips completely elimimated all discomfort, and stopped the left hand one sliding round the handlebar as a bonus. I did try rearranging my riding position to put the minimum weight on my hands, but to no avail.

ipm1073

May 14, 2009
I recieved my Ergon grips today and went to work altering them to fit the wisper. The first pic shows the un-altered left hand grip.
0491.jpg
I noticed that the restrict button housing has a small flange which stops the grip fitting snugly against it so I ground it off with a dremel. (sorry bout picture but I`m new to this)
0493.jpg
This side grip had 12mm cut off with a fine toothed mitre saw and I found it helped if the blade was wetted.
0492.jpg
It then fits nicely on the bar but I had to remove my bell.
0502.jpg
The right hand side with the half throttle was a bit more complex. As well as cutting 12mm off of the grip. I also trimmed the throttle itself back to where the large dimples start (approx 10mm)and trimmed the internal collar to match.
0497.jpg
I will continue the pictures in the next reply, I didn`t know I could only up load 5 pictures.