Whisper v Gazelle v Kalkoff

JanB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2016
NE Scotland
Off down to Dundee to try out the above three ranges tomorrow. Anyone have have any hints on making the right choice. Obviously main thing will be which feels the most comfortable but reliability etc are v important too. Think weight wise they are similar but there is a difference in price - is that indicative of build quality?

Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The question is too general to give much other than a general reply.

Kalkhoff are having lots of problems with motors, so for me that would rule out an otherwise quality bicycle.

Gazelles are famously well-made, you won't get better.

Wispers are generally cheaper, but there's nothing wrong with them, and you can be confident of good back-up service.

The guy who runs the company is a regular poster on here, and he has a good reputation for looking after his customers.

JanB

Jun 20, 2016
NE Scotland
Thanks for the reply, we went to a dealer today and test drove Gazelle, Kalkoff, Whisper and another brand (can't remember name). They were all fine but both of us preferred the Gazelle so we have ordered two Orange C7 HM bikes, step through for me, cross bar for himself. Very impressed with Electric Bikes Scotland in Dundee, small family business but they had 9 different bikes for us to test ride. Worth the 3 hour drive down.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Thanks for the reply, we went to a dealer today and test drove Gazelle, Kalkoff, Whisper and another brand (can't remember name). They were all fine but both of us preferred the Gazelle so we have ordered two Orange C7 HM bikes, step through for me, cross bar for himself. Very impressed with Electric Bikes Scotland in Dundee, small family business but they had 9 different bikes for us to test ride. Worth the 3 hour drive down.
I'm glad to hear about your positive testing experience. Please follow it up with a 'living review' of your new bikes if you would. Thanks. :)

Reactions: JanB

JanB

Jun 20, 2016
NE Scotland
John's a great guy!

I really hope you enjoy your electric bikes.

Have fun.

All the best, David
We were very impressed with John & his son, no hard sell, try out bikes until you find one that suits you. Not once did he try to influence us, just answered any questions we had. There was a guy from Dunfermline trying out bikes at the same time as us. Oh and gave us a good discount as we were buying the two bikes. Looking forward to getting them in two weeks, just the thought of no more trying to ride into a head wind, we live on the windy N coast, just switch in the motor.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

JanB

Jun 20, 2016
NE Scotland
Well we collected the bikes a week ago, batteries charged up so that we could use them straight away - we were away in Motorhome. First impressions very good, easy to ride, locking system very good - accepted by our insurance company as it is German grade 15. Hills a dream this week - only once used highest setting for a short way in a long steep hill, majority of time in "Eco" mode and using gears. No long rides so far but very happy. Only negative is that they are so heavy to lift in comparison to our old ultra light bikes we are going to have to change the bike rack to one built on to chassis but that could be a plus as made of stronger metal that one fitted to the back.