White Lightning Clean Ride, anyone use it?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thinking of swapping my lube of choice over to this stuff. Does anyone use it, or something similar, and what are your experiences?

Clean Ride.jpg

D

Deleted member 33385

That looks like an interesting, the product description makes some strong claims. Report back if it's great! What was your old lube of choice and why? I just use mineral oil on my chains and clean off the gunk every so often using isopropol, then reapply. But I'm stuck in the 80s, when I was last seen on a bicycle.

D

Deleted member 33385

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-lubricants/dry-lube

I use this one because it is very good in dry conditions, but not so great on muddy terrain.
I have read good reviews about the Clean Ride and thought it might be better suited for the drivetrain.

I'm all for trying non-PTFE lubricants:

The less there is of that stuff in the environment, people and animals, the better - it never breaks down! There's no mention of what the ingredients of "Clean Ride" are. It could just be a very clever wax, with no PTFE.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thinking of swapping my lube of choice over to this stuff. Does anyone use it, or something similar, and what are your experiences?

View attachment 40907
I tried it. I'd say totally useless. It didn't make the ride any better than gear oil, and each application migrated from the chain to the rear derailleur and ended up gumming it up with a thick wax with grit in it. It took me over an hour to clean it all out. I still haven't found anything yet that beats hypoid 90.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD

View attachment 40907
Tried Clean Ride last year and found it performed as advertised, very quiet and smooth drive train. Particularly like the way the wax would flake of leaving the chain surprisingly clean. Only downside was I found it awkward to apply and hard to clean up any spillage. Best applied over rear cogs while back pedaling (as manufacturers video) impossible with BBS01. Went back to Finish line dry but may give it another go.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD