Why Ride Rad?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
This is the video you should have posted last time..
Still not convinced to 'ride rad' just yet myself, but now have heard your reasoning can understand why its a good fit for you.

My only real issue with fat tyre bikes is the weight and difficulty pedaling without power, but i would appreciate the comfort they offer if they could only be made lighter ;)

Did you get the seat post straight away or did you ride the bike without first, and if so did it make a significant difference?

could you give more details on the motor and how its been 'made' compliant with uk/eu regs?

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
The research I did about the Radrunner threw up some anomalies:
The Seat itself that comes as standard has no comfort element - it has no "Give" at all, and with my frame size, I knew I would have to get a decent "Gel" seat for sure.
As the Radrunner has no front or rear suspension, I knew I couldn't rely solely on the "Gel" to protect my posterior - so I bought the Suntour Seat post at the same time as the Gel seat - and they are a perfect combination for me.
The motor is a 500w Bafang, but in both the EU &UK regulation states that it has to be disabled down to 250w - and the maximum speed allowed is 15.5 mph - unlike in the US where the standard motor is 750w - and maximum speed is around 30 mph.

Worse traits withe Radrunner for me? Easy. Ir's a little heavy, which means at slow speed, maneuvering slowly can be quite tricky, and as I have "Ducks" Disease (My butt is too close to the ground) I cannot put both feet on the floor and sit on the seat!!

The best purchase I made for the Radrunner is without doubt, the Eggrider v2 this magical device releases all the torque in the 500w motor, meaning climbing steep gradients is a breeze, it's no so much for top speed, although that is increased, is the Torque that it releases that makes the Radrunner (now) a pleasure to ride.

If you want to see more about the upgrades I did to the Radrunner, check out the 6 month update Vlog on the YouTube Channel.

That's why I Ride Rad
oh! Almost forgot - do you know of a cooler ebike on the market? I don't.

Appreciate your input.

Reactions: MikelBikel

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
What do you mean by disabling motor?

Motor is either rated 250W and legal or rated 500W and illegal.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The research I did about the Radrunner threw up some anomalies:
The Seat itself that comes as standard has no comfort element - it has no "Give" at all, and with my frame size, I knew I would have to get a decent "Gel" seat for sure.
As the Radrunner has no front or rear suspension, I knew I couldn't rely solely on the "Gel" to protect my posterior - so I bought the Suntour Seat post at the same time as the Gel seat - and they are a perfect combination for me.
The motor is a 500w Bafang, but in both the EU &UK regulation states that it has to be disabled down to 250w - and the maximum speed allowed is 15.5 mph - unlike in the US where the standard motor is 750w - and maximum speed is around 30 mph.

Worse traits withe Radrunner for me? Easy. Ir's a little heavy, which means at slow speed, maneuvering slowly can be quite tricky, and as I have "Ducks" Disease (My butt is too close to the ground) I cannot put both feet on the floor and sit on the seat!!

The best purchase I made for the Radrunner is without doubt, the Eggrider v2 this magical device releases all the torque in the 500w motor, meaning climbing steep gradients is a breeze, it's no so much for top speed, although that is increased, is the Torque that it releases that makes the Radrunner (now) a pleasure to ride.

If you want to see more about the upgrades I did to the Radrunner, check out the 6 month update Vlog on the YouTube Channel.

That's why I Ride Rad
oh! Almost forgot - do you know of a cooler ebike on the market? I don't.

Appreciate your input.
If the manufacturer has rated your motor 500W, are you riding an illegal ebike? Of course they're more fun. Less so when someone's insurance company chases you through the courts after an accident.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I thought all Radrunners had 750w Bafang G060 motors that are labelled differently for different markets.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
They are probably the same as the US versions but with detuned controller settings and different labels.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Have you increased top speed to beyond 15.5mph? That does indeed make a bike a pleasure to ride. I do miss Banfanging about at 22mph, before I knew it was illegal and I could get sued for my house post accident.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
They are probably the same as the US versions but with detuned controller settings and different labels.
Changing settings in controller won't make motor and bike legal. There should be engraved rated power on motor.

• Agree
Reactions: saneagle

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Clarity please, is it a 250w 'mislabeled' motor flying under the regs with a hobbled f/w in the off the shelf display that you have over-ridden with a aftermarket display? or something else?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Changing settings in controller won't make motor and bike legal. There should be engraved rated power on motor.
I have never seen a G060 with 250 watts engraved on it. I have seen them with 500w engraved on them.

• Informative
Reactions: thelarkbox

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
They may be illegal, but they were sold all over Europe as being compliant until the end of 2023 when Rad decided to pull out of the European market.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I have never seen a G060 with 250 watts engraved on it. I have seen them with 500w engraved on them.
I never realised it was quite that blatant!! but if rated at 500w in one market they are defacto 250w safe too. so its not wrong.. just highlights the problem using power rating as a limiting metric.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
So Op's Motor could be 500w, OP- your aftermarket display should have enough bells and whistles to display watt expenditure under load? so how many watts does your motor consume when pushed under load, iirc a 'legit 250w' motor can consume 7,800w+ with a sufficient controller and battery if yours munches down significantly more ? it could be a clear indicator?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Rad aren’t a fly by night company. They have a huge following in the US, but not so popular in Europe it seems.
Perhaps because of weight? 81lbs=36.7kg without mudguards and before pannier bags, is a bit much.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
35 Amp KT controller is a popular upgrade for the RAD and these controllers can be purchased with all of the correct connectors so it’s plug and play.

Some people also go to ridiculous extremes by water cooling the G060 and running it at well over 5kW.