Why so few hub geared bikes with belts ? Looking at Kalkhoff

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
..well, being an engineer of sorts I thought I had better look up a video to actually find out how the Nexus hub works...!!!

Suffice to say after watching a couple of them I still have no clue, other than "probably magic".

I think if I had seen these before I got one I would have probably stuck with conventional gears!...how they work, and why they work is a mystery to me and hats off to the person / persons who developed them.

I am amazed that they last more than about 10 revolutions let alone many miles. I certainly won't be taking one apart for home maintenance anytime soon!

On the basis that ignorance is bliss, I wish I hadn't looked now!
You know you have to take it apart to regrease it every two years or whenever the water gets in?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Okay, you no one would not have sold me a three speeder these days either.
the thing is, the 3-speed hub gear is very robust, lightweight, requires virtually no maintenance, hardly ever needs adjusting and costs next to nothing (compared to other hub gears)!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
the thing is, the 3-speed hub gear is very robust, lightweight, requires virtually no maintenance, hardly ever needs adjusting and costs next to nothing (compared to other hub gears)!
Yes, I have one circa 40 years old on a Dawes Kingpin folder, never a problem and seen no more than a few drops of oil in the hub each year.
Just I don't ask of it anything like the rides, or terrains I do on our road bikes or Kalkhoff Agattu Impulse.
Accept the SA versions of that vintage were robust, no knowledge of current offerings.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Id much prefer the hub gearing as ive had on my non electric bike had for many yrs now , this without any faults happening

much better over the Derailleurs , plus I havent had any
job need done at all in all them years with hub gearing , and although elec-bike sounds good , I reckon theyre far too expensive
but all to their own .

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The problem with hub gears and gates belt drive is how to tension the belt with a mid drive and the use of eccentric bb do not play well together
Easy to overcome on a factory build with just needs tensioners- adjusters on the rear wheel old school style
Have tried to convert several types -brands, but lumps on the bb have always been in the way

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Being no expert but having a Batribike Quartz (with new batteries) but never have been keen on derailure gears I’ve just looked at the Rollfoff hub gear which I like very much, - combine that with a rear wheel belt drive and I’d have the lot! - if it were possible - and to find someone to supply and fit it? But then where to put the motor? How much of this would be feasible?

Jim

Last edited:

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Retrofitting a belt drive is exceedingly challenged for all but those with frame re-engineering skills and facilities, as you can't break the belt to thread through the standard configuration of the stays. Basically the bike frame has to be designed for use of the belt.
Chains can be split and rejoined, a Gates carbon belt can't, and as mentioned belt tensioning provisions need including.
As also flagged up you can add a front hub motor to an existing belt drive push bike. IMO few of those desiring the technical sophistication of a belt drive bike, are going to be accepting of a front wheel motor drive?

Reactions: ElectricJoe

ElectricJoe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2020
Being no expert but having a Batribike Quartz (with new batteries) but never have been keen on derailure gears I’ve just looked at the Rollfoff hub gear which I like very much, - combine that with a rear wheel belt drive and I’d have the lot! - if it were possible - and to find someone to supply and fit it? But then where to put the motor? How much of this would be feasible?

Jim
Rohloff are the "rolls royce" of hub gears, there are a few others that are much cheaper and do sort of the same job.
But in any case you'd be out of luck with your bike in terms of using the motor.

Jim
P.s Impractical to adjust that bike (obviously anything can be done ata price)
id say you bought the wrong bike and it would be simpler and cheaper to sell it and buy one with the features you wanted.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I would be very happy to make and sell solid 'plodders'.
the cost of producing a belt drive 3-speed hubgear is little more than a derailleur (about $50 a bike). I made one 3 years ago but it didn't sell well. My guess is people prefer to have 8-speed even if they rarely need more than 3.
So how many orders do you need to cause you to get your spanners out? Seems the current panicdemic might dredge up some appropriate customers again .. although 7 or 8 speed might be more popular.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So how many orders do you need to cause you to get your spanners out?
we need to sell at least 100 bikes of a model a year to make it viable.
It's a tiny quantity for most factories, they wouldn't be interested in helping us with anything smaller.

although 7 or 8 speed might be more popular.
yes, agreed.
the main problem is it adds 1kg of extra weight and about $50 extra cost.
8 years ago, I made a beautiful bike with 7-speed hubgear, the Woosh Sundowner. It was a solid plodder. Dutch style, comfortable, upright, long range.
I thought it would be an ideal commuters' bike. I was wrong. Customers preferred the MTB shape.
4-5 years ago, I made the Zephyr-CDN, crank drive, folding, hubgear and sold it for £749. I really loved it, it sold for not much money and deserved more success. It sold well for 2 years then suddenly, sales dried up. I put that on account of Halfords entering the e-bike market with their cheap folding bikes.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocsid

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buyers in the most part are led by the bigger brands and stores and since the 80's the mtb seems to be king, I see lots of people riding them on the road as it is/was in the main the trend.
If one major brand was to suddenly go with hub gears and they took off every one else would follow suit, in the 70's the SA 3 speed was common place.
Slowly now 700c or 29ers hybrids are appearing, my 700c with Geoff's on I get few looks and comments. As I tell folks it is function over form and I go for comfort when riding rather then discomfort, for a proper nice bike you have to bespoke some of the fittings instead of the usual standard tat that is fitted. That speaks for it self two or three latest users/posts complaining about tingling sensations in the hands.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
we need to sell at least 100 bikes of a model a year to make it viable.
It's a tiny quantity for most factories, they wouldn't be interested in helping us with anything smaller.

yes, agreed.
the main problem is it adds 1kg of extra weight and about $50 extra cost.
8 years ago, I made a beautiful bike with 7-speed hubgear, the Woosh Sundowner. It was a solid plodder. Dutch style, comfortable, upright, long range.
I thought it would be an ideal commuters' bike. I was wrong. Customers preferred the MTB shape.
4-5 years ago, I made the Zephyr-CDN, crank drive, folding, hubgear and sold it for £749. I really loved it, it sold for not much money and deserved more success. It sold well for 2 years then suddenly, sales dried up. I put that on account of Halfords entering the e-bike market with their cheap folding bikes.
That Sundowner looks great. I would definitely be in the market for something similar. I am a really big fan of the Dutch-style "plodder" that perfectly suits my leisure cycling. My ideal would be step through Duty-Style swept back bars with hub gears & a belt drive & powered by the front hub with cadence sensor & a throttle. The Woosh Sundowner is the first I have found that ticks all the boxes. Any chance of putting it back into production?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the Rambla is a second stab at this 'solid plodders' market.
If it sells well this year, then I will fit a hub gear and a enclosed chain cover next year.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambla

Reactions: E-Wheels

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There was a Sundowner on Gumtree in Basildon, Esssex a 3 weeks ago with only 97 miles on the odo. Vgc £625.
Just looked now and it seems to be for sale still.

Last edited:

Briggs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2020
If it sells well this year, then I will fit a hub gear and a enclosed chain cover next year.
Woosh, a smaller frame for those of us that are only 5' 7" would be useful....my legs would be dangling! But we do need more choice of bikes with hub gears for those of us that have decided to go down that road (no pun intended). The Batribike Omega has a rear Nexus hub with front wheel motor.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
The Rambla would be perfect for me if it had hub gears & a front hub drive.
It looks like my only option at present is to do a conversion.
There was a Sundowner on Gumtree in Basildon, Esssex a 3 weeks ago with only 97 miles on the odo. Vgc £625.
Just looked now and it seems to be for sale still.
Brilliant! I live in North Essex so it’s not far. I will check it out. Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Link.