Why would you not wear a Cape in the rain?(current equivalent "Poncho")

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
I have a Vaude poncho that ticks all the boxes in terms of keeping me, my hands and everything else dry no matter what you throw at it....It's waterproof! .. very simple....end of story!...no need to invest in expensive £100+ claims to be breathable(Goretex etc) that ultimately will have you soaking wet after 45 mins in a downpour.

Bargain :)

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I used a cape for decades, but drifted into purpose designed cycling clothes, that just one feature was wet weather use.
And I think that's the cape's issue, it's a wet weather specific accessory, whereas good cycling gear is far more multipurpose, including cold windy days and wet.
The cape has to be transported and deployed as and when needed; I recall being a bit resistive to stopping to put it on and getting too wet before I really had to.

Reactions: guerney

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a Vaude poncho that ticks all the boxes in terms of keeping me, my hands and everything else dry no matter what you throw at it....It's waterproof! .. very simple....end of story!...no need to invest in expensive £100+ claims to be breathable(Goretex etc) that ultimately will have you soaking wet after 45 mins in a downpour.

Bargain :)

I 100% agree. I tried everything when I used to commute in all weathers. Only a cape works. The only draw-back is on very windy days you get knocked about a bit - maybe not so good for bikes with small wheels. In China, every cyclist I saw put on a cape when it was raining. I bough mine while I was there for about a fiver. It's better than any of the lower priced ones you can get in the UK.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
At this time of year, a soaking is never far away! Gore-tex is only as good as it's seams. With brand new Gore-Tex outer shells, I've found waterproofing to be very good. At the moment, I use my old very heavily wax impregnated leather motorbiking jacket, with a heavy red supposedly waterproof non-Gore-Tex jacket on top. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely look into buying a much smaller packing and lighter poncho, though I might spray on additional waterproofing before use.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The cape has to be transported and deployed as and when needed; I recall being a bit resistive to stopping to put it on and getting too wet before I really had to.
I know what you mean - I've got one of those single-use polythene emergency ponchos in my rucksack, it's remained in there for years. Sometimes when I've needed it, I've forgotten it's there :rolleyes:

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I find wearing a windproof and then using a cape on top in wet weather works for me.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Isn't this thread out of season! It's SUMMER!

I like ponchos for walking, less so for cycling. They are like sails. Today I went out with one front pannier and the wind was catching on the steering. I can't imagine what a poncho would have been like. For low speed in heavy rain I think a poncho is great. For trying to get somewhere pronto, not so much.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:cool:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
I've never really had a problem even in strong wind, riding into a wind is one of the key advantages of riding an Ebike. The other accessory I would not like to be without in rain is a hat with a long peak under my helmet, it stops 90% of the rain hitting your face, it's surprising how annoying and painful this can be at 20MPH

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can get double duty as bedroom wear.
For traction? TMI! (Rodney Dangerfield reference).

Isn't this thread out of season! It's SUMMER!
I've been shopping too, bought an ultrathin plastic raincoat to cover my very old 80's Travolta Saturday Night Fever batwing collar ultrathin leather cycling jacket, because boy does that need hiding :D It fits again, now that I've shed over three stones. I've recently had two 9 x 12 inch inside pockets added with double lockable zips, so my devices don't fall out while cycling. Also heavily waxed.

I like ponchos for walking, less so for cycling. They are like sails.
This is a major concern, because my bike is set up to rapidly get me to 25km/h ASAP and keep me there. Hence thin small packing placcy anorak. And dry bags for phone and tablet.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
After watching wingsuits flying on youtube, i spotted the flaw in ponchos.

• :D
Reactions: guerney

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • The cape I have (but haven't used for years) was a total blessing on some very wet days on a cycle tour - it has a hood too and underneath the cape all was warm and cosy.
  • Downsides are as mentioned, the wind and exspecially a crosswind, see you being buffeted around a bit and of course a headwind slows you up.
  • On that particular tour I was using a handlebar GPS to navigate and of course the GPS was hidden from view underneath the cape.
  • So why not used for years? Well, I'm retired and if it rains that much I don't go out and my touring days are now fond memories only. If I commuted though, I'd give it serious thought providing the traffic I was in could tollerate the odd sideways 'sway' in inclement weather :rolleyes: .

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
So why not used for years? Well, I'm retired and if it rains that much I don't go out and my touring days are now fond memories only. If I commuted though, I'd give it serious thought providing the traffic I was in could tollerate the odd sideways 'sway' in inclement weather :rolleyes: .
Pretty well sums up my situation, plus I know I have my cape somewhere, but finding it could well be a task too far.

Reactions: Bikes4two

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I haven't really experienced much rain now I have an ebike, but with conventional bikes I generally preferred something that was almost waterproof. Kept me a bit dry, but dried out quickly.

I might well invest in a poncho. I never had the nerve to wear one when I was younger but I am happy to say I no longer care. Seems like a great idea, far better than a boil-in-the bag plastic coat!

Oh, incidentally. For winter, I think these have a lot going for them for active movement in bad weather. VAT free as well!

The rainproof shoulders really make a difference, plus if you walk round with black trousers and a clipboard you can get free entrance to all sorts of places like art galleries. My mate got a free trip to Alton Towers once, just by looking like he was at work!

Reactions: Bikes4two

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Oh, incidentally. For winter, I think these have a lot going for them for active movement in bad weather. VAT free as well!

I used to use one of those for commuting on the coldest sub-zero days in winter. The problem is that they're too warm for cycling. No matter how cold it was, I always had to unzip it a bit to let some cold air in. Mine has reflectice strips all over it that seems to scare the motorists to death at night time. It was very annoying when they wouldn't overtake me; however, in the daylight it transformed into an invisibility cloak, when they were trying to run me down from every direction.

When I was at carboot sales and other events, people were always coming up to me and asking where the toillets were.