Wider tyres for grip and comfort

mags2

Pedelecer
May 20, 2018
UK
Now i got some power i thought it might be a good idea to make full use of it as any extra effort from different tyres is not an issue any more. I've currently got some city jet ones on a mountain bike i just converted but id like to upgrade if possible.

I was wondering what's the best for grip on roads in wet conditions with wider than normal tyres for added comfort?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You may not believe it, but the best grip in wet conditions is from a slick tyre.

A bicycle cannot aquaplane, and a slick gives you more tread on the road than a treaded tyre.

Realistically, there won't be a lot in it between a treaded and slick tyre of the same compound.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi
Take a look at schwarble big bens or big apples both are wide and if you run at the middle pressure a smoother ride or at full pressure less noise more speed and they have good puncture protection

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I'll second the vote for big apples.
Already have 2.1" on my analog bike and this very afternoon I'm about to put a pr of 2.5" apples on my new digital bike ( cube acid one 500 :cool:)

Reactions: EddiePJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The OP won't go wrong with a Big Apple or Ben, but just as much comfort would be achieved by lowering the pressures on his existing tyres.

An Apple or Ben, being a balloon tyre, could safely run at an even lower pressure than a City Jet, which may be a benefit.

mags2

Pedelecer
May 20, 2018
UK
Thanks chaps i will check those two out. I was happy with the city jets until they didn't quite have enough grip on one occasion. I know tyres aren't perfect but ever since i've wondered if there were better options.

I was doing some research and read that the rubber itself makes more difference than tread.

I saw schwalbe marathons were quite popular but some say poor in wet conditions. Are these big apple/ben tyres better with that?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The only time I ever had a problem with the big apple was when I got over ambitious in the winter with deep mud and ice :oops:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks chaps i will check those two out. I was happy with the city jets until they didn't quite have enough grip on one occasion. I know tyres aren't perfect but ever since i've wondered if there were better options.

I was doing some research and read that the rubber itself makes more difference than tread.

I saw schwalbe marathons were quite popular but some say poor in wet conditions. Are these big apple/ben tyres better with that?
Big Apple and Big Ben are sticky rubber, Marathon is quite a bit harder for longer life. I have pushed Big Ben to the limit - >15% gradient, damp concrete path with river gravel surface and 4 bar. The same path at 3.5 bar didn't give me any problems.

mags2

Pedelecer
May 20, 2018
UK
Big Apple and Big Ben are sticky rubber, Marathon is quite a bit harder for longer life. I have pushed Big Ben to the limit - >15% gradient, damp concrete path with river gravel surface and 4 bar. The same path at 3.5 bar didn't give me any problems.
Cool thats good to know. Think ill have to get some soon.

Whats the difference between these apart from name and tread?

It seems like they're just similar but slightly different American and British versions?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Cool thats good to know. Think ill have to get some soon.

Whats the difference between these apart from name and tread?

It seems like they're just similar but slightly different American and British versions?
Big Ben has rougher tread which for me has been better than slicks on sand dusted road, there are no other differences as far as I know. Tried on gravel and they work well there too. I try to stay away from mud, 18 and a half years on the farm was enough for a lifetime... Another tyre which shares the same tread pattern is the Super Moto X, the carcasse is heavier.

Martin56

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2017
HP3
I came off the bike on a turn on tarmac with schwalbe marathons and changed to schwalbe marathon GT 365 tyres which seem better, especially if the pressure is reduced.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
I have Schwalbe Land Cruiser Plus on my commuter, wear is minimal but its a hard compound tyre and poor weather grip has been marginal on occasions - so worth seeking out the softer compounds if you want really good grip

zakventis

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
UK - Wales - Monmouth
I came off the bike on a turn on tarmac with schwalbe marathons and changed to schwalbe marathon GT 365 tyres which seem better, especially if the pressure is reduced.
Same for me... Trek Powerfly 7: swapped Marathon+ for a pair of 28x2" GT365s a couple of months/800 miles ago. I wouldn't use anything else now - even tho' I had to get the 2" version from Rosebikes, Germany. With 25/30psi fore and aft they are so comfy on the horribly uneven lanes around me and good on most off-road conditions except soft/loose mud.

Last edited:

Armadillo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2019
Are Vandorm Express 700 x 45 any good? They are quite cheap & not too heavy a tread