Will the end of full speed throttles in January 2016 cause a rush to buy.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
If you can get max power just by rotating the pedal I cannot see why we need throttles
The point I was making that it would be legal to have a bike that did not require any significant pedal effort.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I'm gonna fit the pedelec on my bike today, for the last couple of years i've only had the throttle fitted. Gonna see how it suits me for the next month or so.
If i decide that i cant do without a throttle, then i'll just stick to fitting kits in the future instead of buying ready built ebikes.
Probably always gonna be able to get throttles from China.
The pedelec fitting job came to halt after i made that post, cos i couldn't find my BB removal socket, probably yet another tool i've lent to someone and not got back.
Anyway, bought another one and all done today and pedelec is working fine.... unfortunately i cant go out for a spin on it to see how i like it compared to a throttle cos its chucking it down.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Finally got some decent weather today, well the high winds and rain has stopped anyway. So i've been able to go out and test this pedelec sensor i fitted.
Its definitely worth having, especially out of town where i'm constantly moving. I would also predict that i'll get better range as i'm doing more pedalling. It also helps the arthritis in my hand as i dont have to keep my thumb on the throttle.
But it hasn't made the throttle obsolete by any means, there are still those few times when i want power but dont want to pedal and in town with stop starts i would really miss the throttle and would not like to be without it.
So now i definitely wouldn't buy a ready built Ebike if a throttle could not be retro fitted...... and any kit i buy in future will have to include, or at least have the connectors, for a throttle.