Winter safety. Dark nights, lights, tips and tricks.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Winter drawers on. But keep that to yourself madam. :)

Any tips, equipment and safety tips for the darker nights? Please share them here. :)

I'll kick it off with this £1 head torch from poundland. I've had mine for over a year now, it needs new batteries, but it still works well. I carry it in my bike bag as a back-up headlight.

DSC00846.JPG

DSC00847.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A very kind member donated me with a pair of heated insoles and although they do get warm they can't cope with sub zero temperatures for a any length of time.
Can anyone recommend any foot warming devices to keep chilblains at bay?

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i bought one so will cut the 18650 cells from my cree light and try them and get 4 good ones from insat.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Ummm, ain't even the end of summer yet! Autumn still to go, you know, Indian Summer and all that. We are in the hottest year on record BTW (14 consecutive record months actually).

Just for info today is the first day of a three day heat wave which will be followed by thunders storms and probably another heat wave. I'll start worrying about the chill factor around the end of October.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We had a an early morning frost here last week, it's never too soon!:)
Dave.
What!!!??? :confused: shuddering in disbelief :eek:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
There's still a few pockets of snow on the hills from last winter, living in these parts isn't for the faint hearted but it has many compensations.:)
Dave.
There was a programme on TV where they said there was more snow left this year than previous years.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
On the rare, very rare, occasions i ride my bike at night...... I just use one of those single aa cree torches from China, that cost about £2. Attached to the bars with a £1 bracket.
Although i dont know why i bother having lights..... none of the rest of the bloody cyclists in my town seem to use em.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In the interests of see and be seen, I got one of these...

http://www.therange.co.uk/hivis-trafic-jacket-yellow-xl/hi-visibility/the-range/fcp-product/118858

Probably not the cheapest but this one has some warmth to it (as opposed to some which are more like wearing a plastic bag).
A reflective vest is required on the road here by law after sunset. Funny thing is I already was wearing one before I had to. Mine is a cheap nylon one but I don't mind because I am always wearing it over something more comfortable or over my rain gear.

• Informative