Wisper 705 motor fault?

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
I need a little help with the wife's Wisper 705 which has mysteriously stopped working.

Through lock down it's been not used as much really apart from a couple of good longish local rides for her to clear out the cobwebs and give it a run. She's used it twice recently after it had a full charge, both rides it performed as always brilliantly and got parked up in the house as normal. About a week has passed since the last ride, battery gauge is reading about half full (roughly what I expected) but when I went to use the throttle nothing. LCD is on as normal, ok tried pedalling (non-torque model) and no response from the motor. So far I've tried the following to work out the issue:

Disconnecting all the front cabling, all clean and dry, left throttle disconnected and tried pedaling still nothing.
Reconnected all cables, managed to tease out the motor connector (clever way to keep it safe but a little awkward!) unplugged all clean no dirt/water ingress reconnected and still nothing.

Anything else I can try or anyone would suggest? She who must be obeyed wants to get back to cycling to work and I'm reminded of this fact daily!!

I have noticed it displayed an M in a circle on the LCD which google suggested hall sensor fault?

I will try Wisper in the morning but hoping the collective knowledge here might have a few ideas to try/look at in the meantime?

Thanks

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
Like the other guy recently, your motor connector probably isn't in far enough. Most people push it together until it's tight, which isn't enough.
I'll check later (or ask one of the daughters to have a try!) can it work loose though? As I said it had been running fine and was just parked on it's stand in a back room. Only thing that happened was it was wheeled out in to the garden from there. Admittedly my last tinkering with motor connections was with an 8fun on my stump jumper, my other 2 are mid-drives.

Cheers

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Like the other guy recently, your motor connector probably isn't in far enough. Most people push it together until it's tight, which isn't enough.
We are very happy to support all Wisper owners not only newly purchased bikes.

All the best, David

Reactions: Nealh and Unseen

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'll check later (or ask one of the daughters to have a try!) can it work loose though? As I said it had been running fine and was just parked on it's stand in a back room. Only thing that happened was it was wheeled out in to the garden from there. Admittedly my last tinkering with motor connections was with an 8fun on my stump jumper, my other 2 are mid-drives.

Cheers
You'll save a lot of hassle for everyone if you just check it, which takes less time than typing a post. Last time, we managed to write more than 2 pages before the guy pressed his together and solved the problem, dispute him being asked to do that at the beginning.

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
You'll save a lot of hassle for everyone if you just check it, which takes less time than typing a post. Last time, we managed to write more than 2 pages before the guy pressed his together and solved the problem, dispute him being asked to do that at the beginning.
Hi VFR,

I did take your advice the other day (once I got home as my daughter couldn't figure out what I meant by pushing it together! *sigh* )and they are quite firmly pushed in, couldn't feel any further movement on it. Now it's stopped raining (thankfully!) I'm going to go through the motions again and make sure it's all connected.

Wisper have been in touch and credit to them for replying on a Saturday! So I know which part to order but more for my own curiosity how often do the controllers fail these days especially on a low mileage one like this (less 250miles so far!) bike was less than 6 months old when we got it in Feb. As I say just curious as believe me I've had more than enough servers fail at early ages to know murphy is still a busy bloody bloke!! :)

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
Ok small update. Before ordering the part I managed to free the existing controller from its rack mount home pushed all the connections in tighter @vfr400 I think you may have been bang on as one of the motor connections did feel loose and clicked in better. Heath Robinson the battery and lo it works!

Is there a trick to getting all this mess back inside though!

Cheers,
Rob

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Controllers should never fail, but often failure is consequential from when there's a bad connection or other problem. I'm glad you got it sorted.

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
Controllers should never fail, but often failure is consequential from when there's a bad connection or other problem. I'm glad you got it sorted.
Yeah when I was trying to find a way to "stuff" the cables back in I managed to trigger the fault again so it's definitely a connector either loose or having a bad connection. Took it out for a test ride up and down the cobbled alleys here and didn't cut out once but hell these aftermarket airless tyres that it has do not do ANYTHING for the comfort or the traction!! Next job to tackle!!