Wisper 706 Alpino - new electric bike

Marny Hill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2010
Reviewer: Marny Hill

Purchased From: Lawntech, Dundee

Purchase Price: £1699.00

Time Owned: 2 days!

Local Terrain: / Moderate Hills / (*delete as necessary)

City centre - Edinburgh - fairly hilly and intend to do country rides in Borders - very hilly!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:

So far: Throttle is very useful for pulling away from lights. Very sturdy build.

Weaknesses:

Don't know of any yet........

Summary:

I wanted an electric bike to keep up with my husband on our rides in the Borders at weekends and also within Edinburgh city. Tried numerous bikes including Trek T80 (very nice but unavailable), Kalkhoff Pro Connect (very nice but no throttle) one of the Powerbikes and another one from an electric bike supplier in Edinburgh which was very flimsy feeling compared with the rest but I also tried the Trek T80 at their shop and it was great but sold!

Went to Dundee to try the Wisper 706 Alpino after a disaster in Rutherglen at the Wisper distributor. I made an appointment with them to try the Wisper and they confirmed by email - when I turned up there was no one there and no one answered their phones - don't know what happened and I have never heard from them since - don't recommend them!

Lawntech (John) and Wisper (Douglas Lawson) were exceptionally helpful and Lawntech had the bike waiting for me to try on the day agreed. I liked it and bought it there and then. Delivered Wednesday (yesterday) and been on it each day since. Done 37 km and battery only one bar down so far.

The bike is nearly too big for me - I can't put my foot down when I stop - I really need a smaller bike but Wisper don't do one. Lawntech have been very helpful but I do think it would be better if I could have bought from my local shop - but no suppliers in Edinburgh. I would recommend Lawntech any day.

Today we cycled down to Cramond for lunch and I had a wonderful ride - the lights go on in the tunnels - amazing. No problems at all. So far I would definitely recomment the Wisper 706 Alpino Step Through.