Wisper 905 se battery fault.

Talkingseds

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2019
Cheshire
Hi, could someone be so kind to help me. My brother in law has owned a wisper 905se for less then 2 years, he has only done roughly 60 miles on it, he only really uses it when away in his camper van. He went for ride on his 905 with us on our electric bikes and his few Power bars he had, ran out near home after 15 miles . He tried to charge it at home but the light was flashing on his charger randomly then stopped flashing and his battery did not charge. He gave the battery to me to charge as my partner has a new wisper 705se with the same 575 battery but different charger. I plugged our charger into my brother in law battery and on our charger there was a red power light and a green charge light and the battery did not charge. He has always kept his battery charged when not in use and through the winter. Has anybody got any ideas why the battery won't charge . Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, could someone be so kind to help me. My brother in law has owned a wisper 905se for less then 2 years, he has only done roughly 60 miles on it, he only really uses it when away in his camper van. He went for ride on his 905 with us on our electric bikes and his few Power bars he had, ran out near home after 15 miles . He tried to charge it at home but the light was flashing on his charger randomly then stopped flashing and his battery did not charge. He gave the battery to me to charge as my partner has a new wisper 705se with the same 575 battery but different charger. I plugged our charger into my brother in law battery and on our charger there was a red power light and a green charge light and the battery did not charge. He has always kept his battery charged when not in use and through the winter. Has anybody got any ideas why the battery won't charge . Thanks for your help.
Assuming its a Li-ion battery, he did not keep it charged all the time. I could make some guesses as to what he did if you wish to hear them....
What is being seen is when a Li-ion battery goes below 30% charge (which is considered to be the discharged point for normal usage), there is circuitry in the battery that stops the normal charger charging anymore.
If the battery is still otherwise in a good condition, then a good bike shop can usually recover the battery with a "Zero Volt Charger". Once done, the normal charger will work once more.
Or you might be able to buy one somewhere, (slightly like finding Hen's teeth for average bikers!), the only supplier I know of is in Sweden, but only has ones for 36 Volt batteries and they cost US$99 plus postage (from memory!).
But letting a battery go below this point does cause long term damage, so its not to be recommended.
I am adding a copy of the documentation of that special charger, when I was lent one, when my bike was so delivered new.29314067_2026211004289272_5112797221699452928_n.jpg
Its obvious just how it works from the table.
regards
Andy

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Likely it is out of balance and there is a cell group that is low so prevents charging. Leaving batteries for a long time withut use is detrimental.
Speak to Wisper first befor doing any thing , they and only they can open it without affecting any warranty.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think it's highly unlikely that there's anything wrong with the battery other than a blown fuse. On this forum there have been reports of them blowing before. Measure the voltage on the charge socket. if it shows zero volts, there's a fair chance the fuse has blown.

Talkingseds

Feb 20, 2019
Cheshire
Thanks for all the advice. The battery has been charged when it has not been getting used. The battery has sleep mode on it to stopping it getting to low. Was half full on the day it ran out and the problems started after trying to recharge. Bit over my head. Thanks

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Guys for your assistance on this one.

Hi Talkjngseds,

If the battery was stored for a few weeks completely flat your brother may have damaged the cells, however we still may be able to recover it. Please call our support line and they will be able to advise the best way forward.

Regards, David

Talkingseds

Feb 20, 2019
Cheshire
Thanks Guys for your assistance on this one.

Hi Talkjngseds,

If the battery was stored for a few weeks completely flat your brother may have damaged the cells, however we still may be able to recover it. Please call our support line and they will be able to advise the best way forward.

Regards, David
Hi David , the battery has always been charged, when not getting used. Was used the day it ran out With 2-3 bars of power left on it, then could not charge it , thought it was the charger but our charger could not charge it. He got the bike from ebikes direct and when he got it the battery was not in the box so they sent him a 575 battery for some reason , bit strange, got a feeling the battery was reconditioned. He has only done about 60 miles on the bike , used with his camper van. It's been flat for a few days now as he or we can't charge it. Oh David I will ask him to give you a bell. I did email you on Tuesday as well. Thanks for your help.