Wisper 905 Torque - First Impressions

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Hi all

After my old Wisper 2013 Classic broke down, I recently got a Wisper 905 Torque.

I have been riding it over the past few days and wanted to post my thoughts.

- The Torque is a big improvement over the Cadense sensor I had on my previous Wisper bike.
- The immediate assistance on pedal pressure when moving off is great.
- There seems to much less drag when pedalling.
- The bike seems lighter and nicer to cycle overall.
- The LCD control panel is a nice improvement on the previous panel
- The motor is much quieter than my previous bike

The negatives are

- The motor assistance is not smooth. When it kicks in and out, which happens more or less constantly, it is VERY noticeable. Much more so, than my my previous Wisper bike. At first, I thought this was a fault but it appears that this is just how this model of bike is.

- The wisper hydraulic brakes are not good. I have always had Tektro hydraulic brakes, which were fantastic. But, the stopping power of these brakes is not a patch on the Tektro. In fact, I would say that I almost feel unsafe when cycling as I know the braking power is vastly reduced. I may have to just buy new brakes and get rid of these.

- There is no longer an on/off switch on the battery charger. You have to switch it off at the mains wall socket. This is a pain as my wall socket is not easily accessible. Not sure why they got rid of the switch on the charger.

- There have been occasions when the throttle has not worked, it seemed to be when I had just moved off from a standing position.

- I have had to buy a bolted seat clamp, as it comes with a quick release saddle which is perfect for saddle thieves

I haven't cycled a long enough distance to fully check the 575 battery, but I cycled for an hour yesterday, and the level is still high. Overall, I am pleased with the bike. The biggest criticism would have to be the motor assistance is far from natural

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
- There is no longer an on/off switch on the battery charger. You have to switch it off at the mains wall socket. This is a pain as my wall socket is not easily accessible. Not sure why they got rid of the switch on the charger.
Doesn't the mains lead plug into the charger? If so, you can leave it in the wall socket and disconnect there instead.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Kam, thanks for the great overall review.

Thanks for all the positives. The new Wispers are very different to the old bikes, more finely tuned lighter and much more nimble.

Re the negatives...

- The motor assistance is not smooth. When it kicks in and out, which happens more or less constantly, it is VERY noticeable. Much more so, than my my previous Wisper bike. At first, I thought this was a fault but it appears that this is just how this model of bike is.

The bike you have now is more powerful than your old Wisper and it now has a torque sensor so will turn on and off when you put pressure on the pedals. If you are having issues with this please call us and we will help you to reduce the power and the smooth out the assistance. Alternatively set the bike F and the torque sensor will be turned off. We have never heard of anyone not liking the way the bike performs, they tend to love the extra power, and instant access to that power. Give it a few weeks and I am sure that you will prefer it to the old cadence sensor only system.

- The Wisper hydraulic brakes are not good. I have always had Tektro hydraulic brakes, which were fantastic. But, the stopping power of these brakes is not a patch on the Tektro. In fact, I would say that I almost feel unsafe when cycling as I know the braking power is vastly reduced. I may have to just buy new brakes and get rid of these.

In tests the Wisper Hydraulic brake out performed the old Tektro brakes, if you are having problems I suggest that they have not been adjusted correctly. Please call Claud and we will rectify this issue. They may feel softer than your old Classic brakes when you first pull on them, this is correct, they are designed not to bind and lock wheels in the wet when you brake. The feel is certainly different. They may get a little getting used to.

Most modern chargers don't have an on - off switch now. They are practically obsolete now, you will notice that there is no need for a cooling fan either. Look at all your chargers.

- There have been occasions when the throttle has not worked, it seemed to be when I had just moved off from a standing position.

Your old bike had a full throttle, these were made illegal two years ago so for the bike to be legal it cannot have the same throttle. You have to be pedaling for the throttle to work over 4mph.

- I have had to buy a bolted seat clamp, as it comes with a quick release saddle which is perfect for saddle thieves

This is a tough call, we have upgraded to quick release as most customers prefer this, however if you are leaving the bike in an area where the saddle is likely to be stolen, a bolt is certainly better.

It was good to meet you last week and thanks for your continued custom, I believe this is Wisper number 3?!

You have our number and know Claud very well, please talk to him about your concerns and we will of course help you.

All the best, David

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Thanks David

Yes, it is indeed my 3rd Wisper!

You are right, I am already getting used to the new bike. It is so much more powerful compared to my 2013 bike.

I guess I am just too accustomed to the old one, so of course, it will take some adjusting to.

It is a joy to ride!

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Kam! The 905Torque is different and will take some getting used to after the old Classic, but I'm sure that you will get to enjoy even more than your other Wispers.

Thanks so much for the continued support and custom over the last decade!

All the best, David