wisper 905 torque

digger brown

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
north lanarkshire scotland
hi guys took my bike for first service 1 year old went to my nearest deeler cost me £139 97 FITED NEW CASSET@CHAIN SAID THEY WERE WORN HAD TO USE 2 CHAINS AS 1WASENT LONG ENOUGH TOOK IT OUT THE NEXT DAY AND BAKE BRAKE WASENT WORKING NOW HE SAID HE CHECK THE BRAKES DID NOT FT WISPER PARTS

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have never taken a bike to LBS ever for any maintenance, I do it all my self. Build wheels, complete bikes, regrease bearings, bleed brakes etc etc, much more kudos to learn to do ones own maintenance.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I think you've been had, my friend.
A chain and cassette being worn at 1 year? Well you must be up around 6-7000 miles, I would think. Either he's put one of those dreadful 'wear detectors' on it, or he's just plain bulling.
As for two chains. As far as I'm aware, bike shops buy chain on a roll and cut it to length, or they have the correct length in stock or can get it. Again - bull.
There will be no such thing as 'Wisper' parts where brakes are concerned, they will be Shimano or Tektro os some such.
As Nealh says, learn to do it yourself. There's plenty of youtube how to videos and it's much more satisfying and loads cheaper.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There's nothing magical about ebikes that use hubs motors, all parts are of a generic specification.
If the brakes no longer work as before then the LBS has not set them up right or contaminated the braking surface, take the bike back and get them to correct it at their cost.

Cassette and chain renewal is a contentious issue and many LBS probably use it as an easy cash earner, I have had chains and cassettes on some bikes for 3 or 4 years without changing them. If it ain't broke I don't fix or replace and can't say I suffer from chain slip as some refer to.

Last edited:
Reactions: thirteen

digger brown

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
There's nothing magical about ebikes that use hubs motors, all parts are of a generic specification.
If the brakes no longer work as before then the LBS has not set them up right or contaminated the braking surface, take the bike back and get them to correct it at their cost.

Cassette and chain renewal is a contentious issue and many LBS probably use it as an easy cash earner, I have had chains and cassettes on some bikes for 3 or 4 years without changing them. If it ain't broke I don't fix or replace and can't say I suffer from chain slip as some refer to.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
the bike has done just over 670 miles the dealerwas pedal power west calder
Pedal Power are a good dealer, they play a very straight bat. The chain will have been worn but they wouldn’t normally need two chains as they should have a roll of chain, however this year has bern very tight for service parts and they may not have had a roll, we certainly don’t.

Woukd you like me to talk to them?

All the best, David

Reactions: thirteen

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I know our local bike hub used to have chain on a roll and no longer have it. Not sure if it just became difficult to source, or more economic to have the prepacked fixed lengths.

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
I know our local bike hub used to have chain on a roll and no longer have it. Not sure if it just became difficult to source, or more economic to have the prepacked fixed lengths.
Yep, especially when there's a myriad of different chain widths for various gearing configurations.

I needed to replace the chain on my 9 speed Wisper 705 because the previous owner let it get corroded.

It's 144 links. I like KMC chains, so bought 2 off 116 link KMC x9 chains, using one full one, and one part one joined together.

The chains were £7 each.

As regards changing the cassette too, the LBS inevitably faces a choice between not doing it, the client having chain slip, or changing it, and the client questioning whether the cost was necessary.

Rock + hard place.

digger brown

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Yep, especially when there's a myriad of different chain widths for various gearing configurations.

I needed to replace the chain on my 9 speed Wisper 705 because the previous owner let it get corroded.

It's 144 links. I like KMC chains, so bought 2 off 116 link KMC x9 chains, using one full one, and one part one joined together.

The chains were £7 each.

As regards changing the cassette too, the LBS inevitably faces a choice between not doing it, the client having chain slip, or changing it, and the client questioning whether the cost was necessary.

Rock + hard place.

digger brown

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
thats my bike back on the road again my pal had a look at back brake it was needing bled brake fluid was low how did that come out of there workshop he told me he check the brakes ill not be ging back ther again its over 37 miles away ill stick to somwhere local from now on

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
............one of those dreadful 'wear detectors' on it, ................
Do you mean one of these?

I used to use a 12 inch steel ruler as typically described in this article here to check chain wear. Then I bought one of the above and did a comparison and found the drop-in wear detector was accurate enough for me.

Over the years and 10's of thousands of miles of riding, I've used plenty of chains but only a handful of sprocket sets and even less chain rings as the wear guage tool let's me know when to change out the chain in plenty of time.

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
thats my bike back on the road again my pal had a look at back brake it was needing bled brake fluid was low how did that come out of there workshop he told me he check the brakes ill not be ging back ther again its over 37 miles away ill stick to somwhere local from now on
That is a poor show not bleed/top up the reservoir, it may have been an error and just missed but would put me off returning. Their small mistake has cost them a customer.