Wisper 905SE City - Full review and costings - 1Year - £7248 miles

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
7248 miles (£ sign a mistake)

A few people have asked about costings so here goes with everything cycling has cost me over the last year plus a full review of everything on the wisper bike.

Wisper 905 SE City Bike £1250
2nd Battery Charger £85
MET Helmet £50 (lightweight and very comfy)
Altura Wets £80 (Completely waterproof)
High Vis Wet Jacket £45 (Essential in Winter and Wet)
High Vis Shirts £40
DMR Pedels £40 (Great grip and comfort)
Bike Hut Lights £120 (Mega bright x 2 for night riding)
Bike Hut Pannier Bag £30
Merrell Gortex Trainers £95 (Brilliant trainer for all conditions)
Underhelmet Hat £18
SixSixone Gloves £20 (Ayear old and still like new)
Tools / W Bottle £18
New Handle Grips £15 (plastic one provided wer poor)
Brake Pads (swissstop) £138 (Brilliant stopping power in all conditions)
Servicing £164
Rido R2 Seat £30 (Unbeatable for long distance comfort)
Schwalbe Tyres £128 (2 sets since originals)
Bike Bins £64
Total £2430 (Plus however much charging it costs)

(Ouch - BH - that soon added up!!!!)

All items through cycle to work scheme so actual cost to me £1278.00

My car running costs for that period based on the previous year £3254.00
(This includes petrol,insurance,tax and serving-assuming same mileage)

None of the above figures include any depreciation on either vehicle. I have not owned a car for over 1 year now.

BIKE REVIEW -- The Good The Bad The Ugly

Starting Position - 5ft 10" 37 years old 16st 7lbs - Bad Knee but otherwise good health although not as fit as i would have liked or as mobile.

After much research I decided on the Wisper for its looks and its speed and especially its distance capabilities
After 1 year I still love the look and speed of it.(GOOD)

Battery - As good today as when I first got the bike - Can still do a 40 mile run on one charge with throttle fully open all the way.Very easy to remove with flip seat and easy to charge.(GOOD)

Motor - Brilliant (Changed wiring to de restrict the bike) I average a minumum of 18 miles per hour all the time and never had a fault with it. Also it is extremely quiet apart from when you 1st pull away with throttle only.It handles all conditions wet wind heat with no problems(GOOD)

Charger - The first one with the fan was hopeless (BAD) Replacement within 24 hours of mine going wrong was impressive and new ones are far better.

Tyres - The ones that came on the bike were a very smooth ride but had the puncture resistance of a balloon! Three punctures in three weeks soon made me change tyres and tubes - Scwalbe tyres are fantastic. (BAD)

Brakes - V-lever - These were fine but are so much better with the Swissstop Pads that i now use. Heavy bike and speed does mean they wear fairly quick but three sets in year is ok i presume?? (GOOD)

Pedels - Not grippy and hopeless in wet and these had to go. Changes to DMR pedals and much much much better (BAD)

Gears - 4th gear is required for steep hills fifth for inclines sixth for the flats and 7th for declines. (I did have to use 1 two and three when i forgot the key one day after leaving my bike at work - hardest 15 miles i have ever done on any bike)(GOOD)

Grips - The plastic ones that came with it were pretty naff.(BAD)

Seat - It was like sitting on a soft cushion and impossible after more than two miles to feel anything!!! (BAD BAD BAD) Rido R2 seat now fitted and I will never have any other seat again.

Looks - Its looks like a bike and thats all that need to be said. (GOOD)

Feel - It handles great in all conditions and I was quote surprised how well you can chuck it into corners. Very comfy riding position as the handles and seat can be adjusted to exactly your feel. (GOOD)

Speed - Now that i am fitter the bike travels along beatifully.
I am pedelling reasonably hard the whole time and achieve:
Inclines - 16-17mph
Flats - 18-21mph
Declines - 21-30mph

Even with very little effort the bike will do 15mph in high mode
on the flats.

LOTS OF GOOD VERY LITTLE BAD AND NO UGLY.

SERVICING AND WISPER - For a company that cares they are fantastic and on they are always there for advice and support. They really do deal with any problems immediatley.

If this helps anyone thinking of an electric bike i'm glad.

End position - Still 5ft 10" (it will not make you taller) Weight 14st (it will make you slimmer with some effort involved) Fitness (my knee is stronger than it has been for years and i have even taken up squash again with a support. My general fitness is just so much better its hard to explain)

MY congratulations to Wisper on an overall 1st class product.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
what car did you have before? (make, cc, age etc..)

just curious about the comparisons, I work in a semi rural area and plan one day (somewhat reluctantly) get a car (still don't have a full license) - but when I do so I want to keep the costs down as well..

charging is about 10-15p a day (the cost is negligible TBH compared with everything else).

you've bought a lot of other fairly flash cycling kit there so for a lot of others the TCO of a Wisper will be less..

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Hi

I had a Jaguar XJ8 and yes it was thirsty and yes it was hard giving it up and yes I did miss the comfort to start with. (I gave it up because I have 4 children aged 5 - 13 + a beautiful wife and i wanted a healthier lifestyle for myself so that I could enjoy them even more)

It was as simple as that!

We still have a family mpv which my wife uses.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
That is so damn sweet. You are a positive angel :D

Vikki (trotting off, a slight wet look in her eyes).

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
That is so damn sweet. You are a positive angel :D

Vikki (trotting off, a slight wet look in her eyes).
Vikki I am having all kinda hassle at the moment, trying to get motorhome repaired in time for yearly Switzerland/Italy trip in a few weeks.Your reply made me laugh, and has brought a smile to my face....... you are a sweetie:)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks again for the great review, as you know we do listen to our customers on Pedelecs and am please to report the following;

Grips, these have been replaced on all our bikes with a comfort stye that don't budge!

Seat, all our seats are now made for us by Velo and are far more comfortable (and expensive!)

Tyres, we still use Kenda but upgraded last year, this year we are switching to their new superb e bike tyre, low rolling resistance, Kevlar protection and built up beading to stop blow outs due to the heavier nature of electric bikes.

Sorry about the charger, we have very little problems with them, we have recently upgraded them to 4A but apart from that no change.

Thanks for the review, good and bad, without constructive criticism, we would not improve!

All the best

David