Wisper 905se City (pet name SB). 4,000 mile review.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I've had SB for 18 months now and I've ridden him come rain, shine or torrential downpour without any significant problems at all.

The only problem I've had is an occasional broken spoke in the rear wheel but Wisper Service sent me a load of spares on request. Due to the depth of the rim the broken spoke is dead easy to replace without removing the tyre from the wheel or the wheel from the back. There is a space between the nipples and the part of the rim where the inner-tube sits. Just tighten the new one up so it pings at the same pitch as its neighbours. Haven't had a spoke break for a very long time now.

The motor is still quiet and shows no signs of wear (audible signs). The motor sounds like a milk float (a quiet milk float) when building speed from the first pedal push. Once at speed I can't hear the motor at all.

The bike looks really good and the components are still in fine order.

For me, I find the gearing to be spot on but others have said they find it under-geared. I feel this is a personal thing. 6th gear is quite comfortable when going at maximum speed and from there it allows you to put on a spurt of (human) power to sprint up to about 20 mph with ease. There is no assist at this level as that disappeared at about 16 mph, so unless you're fit you won't hold that for long.

The bike is heavy at 23kg but can still be ridden without power if need be, just not fast (unless you're fit). I tried it to see what it was like and it wasn't particularly easy but with the right gear for your level of fitness it's not particularly hard, either.

The Wisper handles well and could be considered to be a little frisky. I like that frisky feel. SB responds well to being thrown around in the corners and the like. The battery seems to be in the right place for keeping a lower centre of gravity. I had a bike once where the battery was along the top tube line and it always felt like it wanted to fall over when cornering.

SB came equipped with Kenda Kwest 26"X1.25" Kevlar lined tyres and these have been very good. The rear tyre wore out at about the 3,000 mile mark (the motor is on the rear wheel) but the front is still showing plenty of tread. Their puncture resistance has been very good. I've had far fewer punctures than I've had on a bike with regular tyres.

At the 3,500 mile mark I noticed that the front wheel wear indicator had gone and replaced the front wheel with a cheapy Halfords one. I had mentioned this in a previous review and the next thing I knew was that David of Wisper fame had offered me a new wheel under warranty. I was really surprised as I'd have said I got fair wear and tear out of it but I see others have got many more out of their Wisper front wheel. How is that for after-sales service :D I think the number of times you brake and how hard you brake will cause differing lengths time between wheel wear-out. As far as Wisper were concerned it had a two year warranty, it wore out in 18 months, here, have a new wheel. Fantastic service.

Wisper have been fast to respond to service requests from Wisper owners and I can confirm that with the speed at which I was sent spare spokes and a new wheel.

As previously said, I've taken SB on two 30 mile rides. One on the flat and one through hilly terrain. On the flat ride I used mostly throttle power interspersed with periods of 80% pedelec power. The battery still had plenty of power left at the end of the ride. I think I could have used maximum power for the entire ride.

The hilly ride was a different story. I know that hills demand a lot of power from the battery and I wanted to be sure that I had power to get home with. I used pedelec mode at 80% for most of the ride out. I got to Farlington Avenue and SB took the first section in his stride. The next section steepens quite severely and I wasn't actually sure if SB could take it. I didn't want to waste battery power so I walked SB up the hill with the throttle slightly open so that SB would pull his own weight up the hill.

The ride through the country side had long undulating hills, not steep, just long and SB took these in his stride. I started to use full power and pedalled to input some of my own (gentle) power. On my trike these hills impacted my cruising speed quite severely, SB didn't bat an eyelid and

Close to the end of the outward journey there is a very steep hill (on Old Mill Lane) Went down that at 33 mph. Very scary and I was using the brakes to limit speed (ok, I bottled it). The climb up the other side was steep and long but well within SB's capability and he took it in his stride.

Coming back I had to get up that killer hill again. It was too steep for SB so I walked him with throttle slightly open. Horses don't like this hill, cars don't like this hill, I don't like this hill.

The Purbrook side of Portsdown Hill can be steepish in places and it is very tiring to do on a low geared bike requiring several rest stops but SB took this puppy in his stride.

I got home and the battery wasn't showing any signs of drooping. I was very impressed.

So, am I still happy with my Wisper? You bet your little cotton socks I am :D

Am I happy with the service provided by Wisper Service? You betchya I am.

Rain or shine the Wisper does the job :D

I do admit to letting SB take the strain. I tend to ride full throttle, I pedal very gently. I often lift my backside off the saddle to rest it and let SB just take the load. I ride to work and back 5 days a week (except for the last few months where I've used my non-electric recumbent trike 2-3 days a week, to improve fitness and lose some weight). The round trip is 14 miles.

If you want fitness on an electric you'll need discipline because it is oh so easy to just use the power all the time. I didn't buy SB to get exercise, I bought SB as a means of door to door transport that would require minimum effort from me. SB does just that. Besides, riding an electric without power to get exercise leaves you moving at a slow pace that's plain embarrassing when others pass you and think your bike is dead or useless :eek:

What is a good idea, if you want exercise, is to use a non-electric every other day. Then, when you are pooped, you know you have the electric to look forward to the next day. So cool.

For balance:
If you want to combine exercise and electric in one bike then you need to be looking at a crank-drive bike (if you can't discipline yourself not to use power all the time). Crank drive uses your input and adds a proportion of electric power to it (they have no throttle).

These are my personal thoughts, opinions, use and experiences of the Wisper 905se City. Others may have different thoughts, uses and experiences.

Best regards.

Vikki.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I bought SB as a means of door to door transport that would require minimum effort from me. SB does just that.
That the feeling i got from my short test ride, the bike would be perfect for that, it performs its design criteria very well, what more could you ask for.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I've just done over 3000 miles on mine (in less than a year!) and keep meaning to do a review but TBH Vikki always explains things a lot better.

I will however further back up what she says about Wisper's customer service. I've only had minor issues (a misbehaving pedelec sensor and the cracked spoke nipples) but both were acknowledged and sorted out without quibbling and within days, and Norman has always been fairly quick to respond to other queries about the bike or its maintenance..

frothycoffee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2010
Hi Vikki, It sounds like a good bike and looks like you have really enjoyed yourself with it.

I hope I am as pleased with my Giant after 18 months After my two test rides though I am sure I will be.

Dot

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
So you're still smitten then Vikki :D
I’m sure your enthusiasm & praise have nudged a few people towards Wisper.

If you want to combine exercise and electric in one bike then you need to be looking at a crank-drive bike (if you can't discipline yourself not to use power all the time).
Vikki.
I wavered towards a Wisper but in the end opted for an Agattu for these reasons. Although the £300 off in 50cycles sale last year Sept was quite persuasive too.;)

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Excellent review Vikki. I had a feeling that Wisper Bikes were good. I'm just looking forward to the day that I test ride one for myself just to see how it compares with the Kalkhoff.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
FrothyCoffee: I'm sure you'll enjoy your new bike and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Shroppielass: Very much smitten. Brian has refused to let me bring SB to bed any more - said to get my toenails out of his back and I said it's not me, it's SB's pedal :eek:

DP: I'm sure you'll find it quite different and you'll prefer one or the other. You might like both and own both :D

Overlander: Exactly. SB does exactly what I bought him for :D

Best regards.

Vikki.