Wisper 905se or Momentum upstart

SamiT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 13, 2016
Leeds
Hi all, I'm pretty new to the electric bike game, but I am interested in buying an ebike to make my commute a little more civilised. I have an 18mile return journey over mostly canal tow path but also some reasonably big hills (West Yorkshire). I've a budget of £1000 and I've narrowed the search to the bikes in the title of the thread. I'm about 73kg and reasonably active.
I like the simplicity of the upstart and it looks a bit more sporty but I am concerned about its performance on hills being restricted as it is in its gearing. I really like the look of the Wisper. But does anyone have any experience with the two latest editions of the bikes.
Many thanks,
S

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
When you say latest editions, I've ridden a demo 905se back in the summer, but then I rode a 905 Torque the same day and the difference was quite stark. Appreciated you're on a budget, but IMHO it'd be worth holding out or looking at a cycle to work scheme or finance to go the extra.

It's personal choice, but I'd choose the 905 over the Upstart as the better all rounder.

Gaz

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Holy apples and oranges Batman! Two very different bikes indeed. Just to get this out of the way, a test ride of both is necessary before you buy. Moving on, I like both for different reasons but for the distance you are going to be traveling, I would scrape up two hundred more pounds and go for the Wisper and the large battery. The momentun is not upgradable.

Another consideration is comfort. The Wisper is more comfortable, IMO, as it has larger tyres and a more upright riding position. The Upstart has a very rigid frame and narrow hard (90psi) tyres. But that might be your preferance.

The Wisper is a cadence system bike and the Upstart a torque. The gears are great on the Wisper and you get a throttle as well. The Upstart is limited to two gears but the power of the Upstart is suprising on the hills even in high gear. Hard on the power though.

Just as a final note, the Wisper has a pannier rack but one is easily fitted to the upstart. Apples and oranges, both are sweet but oh so different.

Reactions: SamiT

SamiT

Dec 13, 2016
Leeds
Thanks for the advice, the 1000 limit is stipulated by the cycle to work thing so I am not sure I can really upgrade to the torque, as much as I'd like too. I'm leaning towards the wisper, it looks to be more what I was after in terms of comfort on days when I really don't want to ride a conventional bike or drive, the terrain can be a bit cobbled in places too. I'm interested in the battery upgrade but not sure I can get it included in the CTW scheme. I think I could buy either and be happy either way. Are they both likely to have similar ranges?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Thanks for the advice, the 1000 limit is stipulated by the cycle to work thing so I am not sure I can really upgrade to the torque, as much as I'd like too. I'm leaning towards the wisper, it looks to be more what I was after in terms of comfort on days when I really don't want to ride a conventional bike or drive, the terrain can be a bit cobbled in places too. I'm interested in the battery upgrade but not sure I can get it included in the CTW scheme. I think I could buy either and be happy either way. Are they both likely to have similar ranges?
The Upstart and Wisper with standard batteries have similar ranges, about 30 to 35 miles. This will be slightly lower in the winter due to the cold. This means, at an 18 mile round trip, you would be hard pressed to make two complete journeys. This would mean daily charging which would shorten the life of either battery. One way to extend the life would be to carry your charger and charge every 1.5 trips. Talk to your dealer about upgrading on the CTW scheme. They may be able to come up with a soulution.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Samit,

for your requirements and budget, I would like to suggest the Woosh Karoo with rigid fork or the Woosh Bermuda with suspension fork, both with 15AH battery, which will give you plenty more range. The Bermuda has the larger Bafang SWX02 motor with higher torque.

Woosh Karoo:

Woosh Bermuda:

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
The Upstart and Wisper with standard batteries have similar ranges, about 30 to 35 miles. This will be slightly lower in the winter due to the cold. This means, at an 18 mile round trip, you would be hard pressed to make two complete journeys. This would mean daily charging which would shorten the life of either battery. One way to extend the life would be to carry your charger and charge every 1.5 trips. Talk to your dealer about upgrading on the CTW scheme. They may be able to come up with a soulution.
Doing 18 miles a day, any battery should be charged on a daily basis. Over discharging is extremely damaging to a battery.
Mark

• Agree

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Doing 18 miles a day, any battery should be charged on a daily basis. Over discharging is extremely damaging to a battery.
Mark
You could do two 18 mile journeys on a 575wh battery before recharging quite safely with no damage to the battery. That's why you get a large battery. Battery life is determined by charge cycles. 700 to 1000 charges is the life of most lithium batteries. The more you charge them the capacity drops accordingly. Some batteries are better than others as they grow older.

• Agree

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The Momentum upstart is a superb bike, but very different to the Wisper. Both benefit from local servicing etc. It really is down to personal preference. My advice would be to give both models a good long test ride and see which you prefer. Either way thanks for considering a Wisper!

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
You could do two 18 mile journeys on a 575wh battery before recharging quite safely with no damage to the battery. That's why you get a large battery. Battery life is determined by charge cycles. 700 to 1000 charges is the life of most lithium batteries. The more you charge them the capacity drops accordingly. Some batteries are better than others as they grow older.
Fair comment. I was thinking of 10ah(ish) batteries.

SamiT

Dec 13, 2016
Leeds
Update: I'm discussing options to get the larger 575Wh battery on the Wisper and pay the difference, to get some decent range. I also like the look of the Woosh's but I think there will be an issue with the Ctw scheme my company uses (Halfords). I reckon I will enjoy the comfort of the Wisper and the range afforded by the bigger battery, if I felt so inclined would this bike still let me put some effort in on my commutes on some of the hills, so I could still feel like I've earned my elevation. I guess that's what the power levels are for?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Sami,

Thanks again for considering investing in a Wisper Electric Bike.

Unless you use the throttle override, the Wisper SE bicycles do require you to put some effort into hill climbing. You are correct in your assumption that the power levels determine the amount of effort you need to add to the motor to get you up this hills.

If I can be of any assistance please call or email me.

All the best, David

Reactions: Emo Rider

SamiT

Dec 13, 2016
Leeds
I'm thinking the 905se with a bigger battery, looks comfortable on the often rough tow paths and should be plenty quick enough for my morning jaunt to work. How is the bike in the rain, are the electric components/battery waterproof?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I'm thinking the 905se with a bigger battery, looks comfortable on the often rough tow paths and should be plenty quick enough for my morning jaunt to work. How is the bike in the rain, are the electric components/battery waterproof?
Hi Sami,

All the components are water resistant and will withstand heavy rain and puddles, but you should not submerge the electronic parts.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: SamiT