Wisper 906

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi guys not been on for a while, almost over a year ago. Well decided to buy a normal bike to get my weight down, lost a stone not much :eek:

I ended up with a really nice bike a Trek soho with belt drive, until some asshole ran into me and busted my knee :mad: But it will heal, doc says probably 6 months before i can do my commute again 30 miles round trip. Now if i wait 6 months i will balloon again so waiting is not an option.

Electric bike it is this time 100% and this week asap.

I am 6ft 4" with inside leg of 35-36 inches so need a larger bike.

So choices are

Kalkhoff Agattu XXL
Wisper 906 28" wheels
Cytronex Cannondale Quick 8

My current thoughts are, Kalkhoff was my number one choice until i read the thread on the clunk on the crank, now on a £1600 bike this is not acceptable. I will be watching that thread closely.

The Wisper 906 is now nudging in front but i have a few questions.
Is the frame big enough for me? Looking at other posts it would seem ok but would like confirmation.

Now the control is a little confusing but basically i need to know if you can power the bike without pedaling. Now this would be of great benefit as when the knee goes it goes and i need to rest it.

I also like how interested wisper are to listen to problems and more importantly sort them out.

Now the Cytronex will be my keeper when my knee has healed, but not for me at present.

Thanks for any help

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Hi guys not been on for a while, almost over a year ago. Well decided to buy a normal bike to get my weight down, lost a stone not much :eek:

I ended up with a really nice bike a Trek soho with belt drive, until some asshole ran into me and busted my knee :mad: But it will heal, doc says probably 6 months before i can do my commute again 30 miles round trip. Now if i wait 6 months i will balloon again so waiting is not an option.

Electric bike it is this time 100% and this week asap.

So choices are

Kalkhoff Agattu XXL
Wisper 906 28" wheels
Cytronex Cannondale Quick 8

My current thoughts are, Kalkhoff was my number one choice until i read the thread on the clunk on the crank, now on a £1600 bike this is not acceptable. I will be watching that thread closely.

Is the frame big enough for me? Looking at other posts it would seem ok but would like confirmation.

Now the control is a little confusing but basically i need to know if you can power the bike without pedaling. Now this would be of great benefit as when the knee goes it goes and i need to rest it.

I also like how interested wisper are to listen to problems and more importantly sort them out.

Now the Cytronex will be my keeper when my knee has healed, but not for me at present.

Thanks for any help

You can certainly have the Wisper on throttle only as that's what they're enabling for me in my new disabled persona :)

You can't use the Cytronex or Kalkhoff in that mode, though they're both great.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
You can certainly have the Wisper on throttle only as that's what they're enabling for me in my new disabled persona :)

You can't use the Cytronex or Kalkhoff in that mode, though they're both great.
Second thought- save a ton of cash and get an Alien Aurora- illegal but built for the bigger rider?

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Ohh so many choices, now that would be tempting if my goal was to get from AtoB with minimal effort. But i want to get fit and strengthen my knee. But what a bike for those lazy days, mmm could be a good second bike :D

Second thought- save a ton of cash and get an Alien Aurora- illegal but built for the bigger rider?

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
After a bit more digging about it looks like you need to modify the 906 to use throttle only. Shame as a combination of the two would be good, it does look like the alien bike stands alone in this aspect.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
After a bit more digging about it looks like you need to modify the 906 to use throttle only. Shame as a combination of the two would be good, it does look like the alien bike stands alone in this aspect.
My 906 arrived with throttle only already enabled, if it isn't enabled then it's very simple to do.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi Mussels,

What height are you, as i am slightly worried the frame on the 906 is too small.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The 906 was designed to break into the generally taller Euro/Dutch market. So I would be surprised if it was not a good fit for the taller person...you really need to go and try one.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I think they have a dealer in glasgow, will contact them tomorrow and go out and see them if they have one.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi Mussels,

What height are you, as i am slightly worried the frame on the 906 is too small.
A few inches short of you but the frame has quite a long reach. The seat tube is short (20") and comes with quite a short seat post so you may well want a different one to get the saddle high enough.

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge

Thanks for any help
I am also 6'4", inside leg....well you beat me by 1"or 2" :p I tried a few other bikes before plumping for the Alpino and rest assured the frame will be very suitable for you! I like an upright riding position and the 906 was the most comfortable for my style!

Regards,

Mike.