Wisper anomaly

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
Hi

I have had my wisper for 4 months now - and loving it. Easily does nearly 20 miles over the chiltern hills most days in one go, and will do 40 if pushed ( I sometime forget the ccharger...), and I am getting better at cycling.

I have noticed one thing though - it is not a problem, but I don't know why it happens. I have noticed that sometimes for a period of 0.5 ish seconds the motor cuts out. This seems to be linked to a change in the battery status - ie the lights showing the power level going up or down. As said it isn't an issue, I just wanted to know why it did this?

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Is it when you're going uphill? If so, it'll be due to the fact that the voltage from the battery sags when under heavy load, and that the controller has a low voltage threshold that causes it to cut the power in order to prevent damage to the battery. The same has happened to me once or twice, but only on the very steep bits. This voltage dip is also what makes the battery indicator lights flicker, consequently they only give any real indication as to the state of the battery when the bike is at a standstill.

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
It is more noticable when I am going up hill, but it has occured when going from a hill to the flat, and the lights change from red to yellow, but maybe that explains it.
I have learnt not to rely too much on the lights, as I know they do change up and down, and it is just a case of knowing the bike (ie there is a very steep hill at start of home journey, so the light goes red, but later on a downward bit it goes green),

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I have noticed this in the last couple of days when using pedelec only, I never notice it when I use the throttle. ???
My back brake lever doesn't return completely which means the cutout switch can cause an intermittent fault but I don't think that is the only reason for the pedelec cutout, I've moved the disk closer to the sensor too.

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
voltage?

This is not to do with the brake (I do get that on my husbands sailsbury), has been there all along, and is only a very short burst of non power - if you can get non-power-bursts! It definitly seems to relate to the change of lights on the power indicator. I imagine the voltage sag is probably the closest explaination.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It is more noticable when I am going up hill, but it has occured when going from a hill to the flat, and the lights change from red to yellow, but maybe that explains it.
The lights show the terminal voltage, if the power to the motor is cut the voltage will go up and the yellow LED will switch on.
I think the light changing is a result of the power switching off and nothing to do with the cause.

If it happens after you crest a hill is it just after you change up a gear?

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
The lights show the terminal voltage, if the power to the motor is cut the voltage will go up and the yellow LED will switch on.
I think the light changing is a result of the power switching off and nothing to do with the cause.

If it happens after you crest a hill is it just after you change up a gear?
Slightly off topic but...

By the sound of the it the lights on my 2007 Wisper are a bit more informative. There's about 10 of them arranged like a car speedo, they turn off one by one as the load increases or as the battery runs down. (It looks a bit like a rev counter in reverse) Great for monitoring the load on the poor old beast.

(There's also a "speedometer" next to the battery meter, according to this I regularly do 50kph! :D )

On the cutting out front, it takes quite a large load to get the Wisper to cut out, is the battery getting low when this happens?

watkin5

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Bucks
I have noticed that sometimes for a period of 0.5 ish seconds the motor cuts out.
Maybe the sensor for the peddling isn't quite close enough, and the bikes not always noticing that you're still peddling. If you're getting fitter then I guess you're not riding full throttle all the time.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Maybe the sensor for the peddling isn't quite close enough, and the bikes not always noticing that you're still peddling. If you're getting fitter then I guess you're not riding full throttle all the time.
I do believe you've got it! Definitely sounds like the pedelec sensor. I had a similar problem once. Just needed to bend the sensor back into a better position.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sensor

Hi Joane

I believe Watkin and Torrent are correct, the sensor may have taken a little knock, there should be about 3mm between the sensor and the disk with the magnets.

If you are having any trouble sorting it our drop me a line.

Best regards David

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
If it was the sensor then it should occur without a change in the battery light. This never happens. It is only on up hills (when the light goes down, normally to red), or at the crest of a hill, when the light goes to yellow again. It is as though that change causes a momentary pause in power to the pedals. When I first got it the sensor didn't work - but this is different, and so fleeting it is barely noticable.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
If it was the sensor then it should occur without a change in the battery light. This never happens. It is only on up hills (when the light goes down, normally to red), or at the crest of a hill, when the light goes to yellow again. It is as though that change causes a momentary pause in power to the pedals. When I first got it the sensor didn't work - but this is different, and so fleeting it is barely noticable.
No the change in battery light is expected, if the motor is cut, then the load on the battery is cut and so changes voltage, hence the lights change. Is the motor labouring when it cuts?

The other thing I can think of is a dodgy connection somewhere, this would cause the motor to cut out, but usually you'd need to reset the bike to get it to turn on again.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I suppose it could be the sensor, as you're pedaling slowest when going up, and particularly when cresting a hill. So if the sensor is lacking sesitivity, or one of the magnets on the disc isn't being registered, the controller may briefly 'think' you've stopped pedaling. Have any of the magnets fallen out of the disk?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Fleeting

If it was the sensor then it should occur without a change in the battery light. This never happens. It is only on up hills (when the light goes down, normally to red), or at the crest of a hill, when the light goes to yellow again. It is as though that change causes a momentary pause in power to the pedals. When I first got it the sensor didn't work - but this is different, and so fleeting it is barely noticeable.
Hi Joanna

If the problem is bothering you or it gets to the point that is is we would be happy to get the bike to have a look at it and repair any problems.

Best regards David