Wisper Bike.

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
As many of you in here know, I ordered a Wisper Wayfarer a couple three weeks back ad Wisper has been trying to get their delivery into the country for a while, well yesterday the truck containing the consignment arrived at Wisper HQ, David the MD let me know he would get it on a timed next day (today) delivery before 12.
So, sure enough, at ten to twelve the phone rang and it was the DX delivery driver. A really nice helpful chap who reversed the full length of my driveway to save us lugging it up. We then got it out of is van and propped against the fence, I saw little point in up ending the box as it had survived the journey without any drama so I just cut it open as it landed.

First impression was that it was extremely well packed and protected, whoever put this back into it's carton had done this before. There were specially folded cardboard supports and specially formed foam inserts. Naturally being Blokeish a read of the actual instruction manual wasn't even a consideration. Just right in there and start putting bits on and tightening things up. Watch out for the Left/Right hand thread on the pedals!

Switched on and checked it out, pressed enough buttons to work out the different assistance settings and decided on something conservative to start, NOT Sport or Turbo. pushed it up to the top of the garden, jumped on and HOLY CRAP! on my ass faster than a fast thing. This electric motor assistance REALLY works as advertised. I haven't ridden any sort of bike in twenty years and this is all very new and GREAT. Love the bike, love the technology and really looking forward to getting to know the bike better, it is extremely well put together and I really feel I have made the right choice.

Right, now I am off to find a manual and read it!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks ‘Max’…I’m very pleased that you like it! I hope you have many happy years of service!

I’m delighted to read that the DX chap was so helpful. However I will never cease to be amazed that no matter how many UP arrows and “this way up” notices we put on a carton they can still be delivered upside down!

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's couriers for you, they don't really give a monkey's gonads.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Neal, you’re right. It’s genuinely one the biggest issues we have in our business.

We have decided now to pack bikes in such a way that not only can they be delivered upside down or on either end but stacked nine high on their sides! Yes it’s happened!

All the best, David

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep, as the vendor one has to cover all angles to reduce the impact of poor handling by third parties.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
I hope you have many happy years of service!
Been out and about with it all morning, re-learning how to ride again. I keep telling myself "practice makes perfect" though I have had a few "moments", all self inflicted. Getting myself familiar with it is of prime importance to me, so things become instinctive and I don't have to start trying to remember which button does what.

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
I will never cease to be amazed that no matter how many UP arrows and “this way up” notices we put on a carton they can still be delivered upside down!
I had a very similar issue with my Parcels box, marked "Parcels" until it was pointed out to me that the delivery persons first language may not be English, picture of a parcel worked wonders so big pointy arrows may be one answer.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They have large arrows on them, makes no difference.
We have to accept poor CS from the couriers or none at all, it is often why they don't get many stars on a review.
Problem is we only see the final act of the process at the door and not all the stuff that goes on in between.
I have had large vans turn up and the driver searching for my parcel/s and in doing so just tossing the others aside doing so.
Just as as the delivery firms who allow drivers to use their personnel cars, the inside often looks like the roof has been lifted and the parcels willy nilly tipped in.

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Gorgeous colour on that frame. Interesting spec with XC front forks and off-road style tyres but a step thru design and lots of carrying capacity. I guess its a SUV of ebikes rather than a 4x4 of ebikes. Great for cycling in the countryside on rough roads etc.
Yes, it is a lovely colour and I think your description is very apt. I have had a couple of runs out on it now, up and down all the gears and all the power options trying it on different gradients and surfaces, trying to become more familiar with it. Hoping to do some Dirt road cycling on it as opposed to mountaineering.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi Neal, you’re right. It’s genuinely one the biggest issues we have in our business.

We have decided now to pack bikes in such a way that not only can they be delivered upside down or on either end but stacked nine high on their sides! Yes it’s happened!

All the best, David
Why not include a small phone running an app recording forces and orientation, inside the box, for the customer to return in a postage paid envelope? It could emit a loud shrieking sound via an small but very loud amp and speaker, when mishandled in transit? Using that information, you could then select the more careful delivery service provider.

I read about some bike manufacturer who labeled the boxes they pack bikes in as TVs or fishtanks, for more careful deliveries.

Last edited:

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Today's adventure, I will let the pictures tell the story but today I "discovered" the canal towpaths close by me. Absolutely terrific and some wonderful scenery, everyone I met was very pleasant :

Towpath02.jpg
Towpath03.jpg
Towpath01.jpg

On my return journey I took a different route back and towards the end of my journey I was faced with a bloody big climb out, fortunately, just this morning, I had figured out the Walk Assist mode and so using this I walked my bike up a very steep incline, A chap just stood open mouthed at the top "I have been trying to do that for a long time and not managed yet" he said. I just smiled and went on my way. The wonder that is electrickery! I am starting to plan my days around trips out on the bike now, I have decided it is one of the very best things I have ever bought. The bike is "Adventure Spec" and this is probably the most apt description ever!

The ONLY thing I am missing now are the panniers, I wish they would get a bloody move on.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The ONLY thing I am missing now are the panniers, I wish they would get a bloody move on.
Did you order those from Wisper? ;) It's testing your max tolerace...

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
"Max Tolerance" is plus or minus 5 thou usually, some things are less than that, some are more :cool:. Government work is to the nearest yard!

No, they don't offer Panniers on their website, I bought them from Carradice I bought THESE. I pushed the boat out a little but I must say we do still make some decent stuff in this country, snag is if they become "trendy" or "in Vogue" the price will double and that as they say, will be that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Carradice yet another firm not now inUK ownership, though for now the works continues in Cumbria.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"Max Tolerance" is plus or minus 5 thou usually, some things are less than that, some are more :cool:. Government work is to the nearest yard!

No, they don't offer Panniers on their website, I bought them from Carradice I bought THESE. I pushed the boat out a little but I must say we do still make some decent stuff in this country, snag is if they become "trendy" or "in Vogue" the price will double and that as they say, will be that.
Those will look great on your bike - on mine heels would constantly be bashing into them because of my bike's shorter wheelbase, so I've always had to buy bags tapered at the bottom nearest the pedals. Heavy loads have destroyed them... but due to @Nealh's trailer-savvy influence (to be clear - he didn't recommend this one), I've now ditched pannier bags entirely and gone into full on trailer mode, and so far that's working out very well. I'll buy a welding kit when the welds give way, or simply buy another one (it's cheapo @£90 delivered next day) when it's weird wheels fall apart. Here's a wildly optimistic product photo:

Last edited: