Wisper intermittent fault.

Farmerjim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2017
Rugby
Hi all, new member but long time user of the forum.

My Wisper 905 has been working well since I bought it, used, off eBay but yesterday it failed.
I had ridden my usual route to the shop for the paper and when I got back on and started back home there was a noise from the motor, a sort of buzzing vibration sound and the bike seemed low on power. I carried on with this noise for about half a mile which was mostly down hill so I'm not sure how much power I was getting. When I got to the gate I switched off and then back on to see if that would do anything but on switching back on there was no power at all and no noise either. All lights on, battery well charged up, no power either on pedals or hand throttle.
After breakfast I had a look and decided that since the noise had come from the motor it must be a problem down there. I switched back on and lifted the rear wheel, tried hand throttle, no sound, no movement, dead.
I'd never even taken the back wheel off so I had a poke around to see what needed to be done if the worse came to it and I had to replace the motor. I got as far as starting to lever off the nut protector where the wire feeds in then thought, "I don't know enough about this, I'd better get some advice." So I pushed the rubber cover back on and was going to leave it but turned on the power again, "Just in case" and low and behold everything worked. Rode 3 miles to pub and back no probs, all OK, again this morning all OK.

Is there a problem looming with the power contacts in the hub? If you've got this far thanks for reading, sorry to be long winded!

D

Deleted member 4366

First of all, never continue with a motor that isn't running right, especially if it makes that rough vibration. You were lucky not to blow the controller.

The cause of your problem could be that the motor's connector is/was not fully together. Another cause is that the motor wire got damaged if the bike fell over. Also, water in the motor can make it like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Jim,
Sounds like there may be a bad connection. Look where the cable comes out of the motor axle, follow the cable, there will probably be a plug within a short distance. Make sure it is fully pushed together.
Can't be a battery connection because you say all the lights were on.
Let us know how you get on.
Sorry, crossed with D8's post.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The motor wire doesn't stop at any mid connector along the chain stay follow it to the controller and check each wire connector is sound.
d8veh's theory of falling over damaging the wire is plausible, although no external damage may be visible a broken wire/kink may be giving intermittent contact esp where a wire bends to go into the hub.

• Agree

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Jim,

I am 99% sure it is a motor connection problem. If you have any further issues please contact out Tech guys, they will help sort you out.

All the best, David

Farmerjim

Sep 18, 2017
Rugby
Thanks very much for all the replies. I will check out the wiring as suggested.
I used the bike this morning with no problems.
Is it worth spraying WD 40 down the axle shaft in case there's any water incursion?

Tezzer

Oct 24, 2017
Cheshire
I've had the same intermittent problem with my 5 month old 905 torque, until it finally failed completely with an error 30 code. It was returned to Wisper (great support from Wisper after my retailer went bust) and Claude explained to me it was the connectors inside the pannier rack, which he replaced. It's been known before apparently and new connectors were fitted.
Can't praise Wisper, David and Claude enough for their support, a refreshing change in this day and age.