Wisper motor wiring chafed

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Hi,

I thought rather than trying to hijack another thread I would ask this question separately..

When I changed the rear tyre on my Wisper I found that the motor wires are badly worn coming out of the axle of the wheel (see pic).

I've emailed Norman for advice, hopefully it will be covered under warranty, but has anyone had any experience of repairing this sort of damage?

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi,

I thought rather than trying to hijack another thread I would ask this question separately..

When I changed the rear tyre on my Wisper I found that the motor wires are badly worn coming out of the axle of the wheel (see pic).

I've emailed Norman for advice, hopefully it will be covered under warranty, but has anyone had any experience of repairing this sort of damage?

Thanks,

Paul
Not good, they look a touch too close to the axle for easy repair.

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
Not good at all, is the motor working ok? looks like one of the wires is totally ripped off.

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Hi,

There are still a few strands holding it. The motor does work, although it cut out a bit when the wire is moved, so I've stopped using it for fear of causing more damage.

:eek:Help:eek:

Paul

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is the second time I've seen a photo of this on a Wisper, usually due to the cable getting a knock against the end of the spindle. I think these probably need a protector plate like the one above the derailleur mechanism on this eZee bike which is mounted on the same bolt holes as the carrier struts. You can see the cable running forward from behind the plate:

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Feel a bit like I've walked into a garage and the mechanic has taken a sharp intake of breath through his teeth :(

Tony - not sure about a knock, maybe, although the Wisper does have the normal derailleur protector around that area.

Paul

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are 8 wires, three thicker ones carrying the drive current for the phases and five thin ones carrying the Hall sensor signals. The Hall sensors are three terminal transistor like devices mounted within the side of the stator windings, and all the wires lead down to a slot in the spindle, then out through it, so there's lots of fiddly work involved in changing the cable. A new motor can be reasonably priced though and a good alternative. Here's a photo of the stator (with rotor still mounted around it) and wiring coming out of the slot and heading up into the windings. The cable is sealed into the spindle with silicone rubber but can be dragged out ok:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Feel a bit like I've walked into a garage and the mechanic has taken a sharp intake of breath through his teeth :(
Normally accompanied by a slow noddling of the head...In my experience breath is sucked in slowly (LBS):p

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Wispers do have a fairly standard looking derailleur protector (I've seen the same on push bikes).

I've noticed very slight chafing on the motor cable of mine (I can just about see the insulation of the green wire).

I wonder if this is because the cable from the motor to the plug which connects to the controller is very short with hardly any slack, and if clamped tight is slowly rubbed against the sharp metal on the hollow axle due to vibrations? not something that happens immediately but a risk after a few thousand miles?

I am careful to ensure that there is as much slack as possible after doing any maintenance and - perhaps some of that liquid insulating tape stuff that eddieo mentioned might help in my case as a preventative measure, but for future models maybe the cable could be a few cm longer? on my Powacycle theres much more slack, not so much to risk catching on anything but enough so the cable isn't stretched...

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Well I'm pleased to say Wisper continued their awesome customer service. A new wheel arrived by courier yesterday!!

Pretty amazing stuff..

However.... I fitted it today and it doesn't work :( Its really odd as the motor starts momentarily but almost just like a click of power then cuts out. Then its completely dead unless I switch the power off completely, if I do that and switch it back on, I get that millisecond click of power and it cuts again.

I can only assume the shorting has done some other damage?

I've checked both fuses on the battery, but it maintains power on the handlebar lights throughout.

I've written back to Norman, but does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could be the controller blown, but these symptoms can also occur if the motor wiring is incorrect. If the wheel came complete with connecting plug that just plugged in, the latter is unlikely but not impossible, since the wire colour codes can be wrong at times on these SB motors. I've been caused to joke at times that the Chinese think the colours are just for decoration.

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Thanks, yes the wheel came with the plug attached, the colours are the same, but as you say, thats not conclusive..

Maybe I'll have a look at the controller - is there any way of telling if its blown?

Thanks,

Paul

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Just thought I woudl givre an update here..

Wispers excellent customer service continued, having sent a whole new wheel with motor etc.. it didn't work, Norman then sent me a new controller and I'm pleased to say I'm back up and running and have to say I really missed it.

Celebrated today with a 7.5 mile trip just the job to see off a slightly 'muzzy' head following a stag afternoon/night yesterday.

Pleased to be back :D

Paul

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I see that you are near Rutland water...mean to get around that one day:)

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
I do indeed Eddie - if ever you fancy a trip round give me a shout!

On a good day it can be breathtaking, unfortunately the tracks there tend to rattle your bones a bit though.

Paul