Wisper ties up distributor deal for Grace bikes e-bikes in the UK

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Found it!

Yes I agree, the Grace One is not such a pretty bike, however I had a go whilst in Germany and wow! To be fair though it is not a pedelec as much as a fully blown electric motorcycle.

We will not be selling the Grace One in the UK as it does not have a class here yet.

All the best

David

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Thanks Grasshopper, got it!

Just to confirm the Grace MX sent to me as a sample was indeed a 45kph speed pedelec. Confusing, as it did not feel super quick but it did aid me to sustain a steady 28mph. However, because the bike had been designed and built to travel at such speeds, it is absolutely solid and the brakes are superb.

My personal opinion is speed pedelecs would be a boon to the industry in the UK for the obvious reasons. My only worry is that car drivers did not expect me to arrive at a junction as quickly as I did, more than once a car pulled out of a junction, necessitating my having to brake quite heavily. If the speed pedelec was ever to be introduced here, I would advocate MOT testing to ensure the bike was road worthy. Bad brakes on these bikes would cause problems.

All the best

David
Im just a bit confused still, David, as to why you were sent an illegal 'S' class to test in the uk.

Or did you not even know that it was an S class when you first rode it ?

If not,then how on earth did you NOT realise ? :confused:

Lynda :)

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
My only worry is that car drivers did not expect me to arrive at a junction as quickly as I did, more than once a car pulled out of a junction, necessitating my having to brake quite heavily.
Ditto - it does require you to be on your toes riding at 25mph'ish.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
The grace was on 2010 or 2011 , it was when they had the competition end of season finale, where they race each other on different bits of kit.
The course was a field which is not really where it's meant to be used.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Im just a bit confused still, David, as to why you were sent an illegal 'S' class to test in the uk.

Or did you not even know that it was an S class when you first rode it ?

If not,then how on earth did you NOT realise ? :confused:

Lynda :)

Hiya Lynda :)

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea why we were sent the speed pedelec it will be swapped in time for Cycle UK at the NEC though. There was nothing on the carton to say it was a 350W speed pedelec or on the bike, although (apparently) I should have realised as the plate holder had been pre installed.

To answer your point the best I can regarding the 350W motor. This was the first time I had ridden a bike equipped the Bosch system for some time and the first time I had ever ridden the newest version in hilly terrain so didn't know what to expect. After reading reports here I was expecting something quite extraordinary. As you may know my day to day bike is the Wisper 905sel equipped with the Japanese Dapu motor. I should say that this motor is so good it is all we will be selling in 2013. The Dapu motor is set up to give great torque at the low end for start off and hill climbing. Even though I was riding a 350W Bosch system the power was about the same as the Dapu powered SEL at start up and for low speed hill climbing. However, I believe that the 350W Bosch is more about top speed than low speed power. I will give another candid report on the bike as soon as we receive the 250W version. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

With so many good drive systems available to suit so many different riding styles, it is now more important than ever that anyone thinking of investing in an electric bike test rides as many different styles as possible before making such an important decision.

Thanks for your interest, all the best,

David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Cakey, found it!

The Gadget Show | Gadget Rally: Full Challenge video from The Gadget Show

The Electric bike bit starts at 7 minute 48 seconds. As you say the Grace One is really designed for the street with some light off road rather than thick mud! The ElMoto it was raced against was of course a completely different vehicle more suited to the conditions, 400W more powerful etc.

We will not be selling the Grace One in the UK until such time as it becomes legal. Even though the price has come down considerably, I really don't think there is a market for such a vehicle here yet.

All the best

David

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
To be honest I have rode a few 350w bikes and I myself was expecting hanging on as my arms were torn from sockets , could not tell the difference ,maybe the Bosch will surprise me.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I think that is because many 250W bikes on the market have a Nominal 250W with maximum output nearer to 600W. Hence when the bike is under load and needs more power to climb hills or to set off the 350W mark is passed in a split second. I wonder if the max output on a 350W bike is that much grater than that on a 250W?

Also drawing enough current to maintain 600W for any time would quickly drain the smaller batteries found on many crank drive systems, so the motors are probably quite limited on max output?

I have a lot of questions to ask at our next meeting with Grace, in the mean time, I am sure Flecc will know the answers already!

All the best

David