Wisper Works 905SE Owner Reviews

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Reviewer: Mandy
Very Light with a light Li ion battery and very very fast.
Reviewer: William Davis
Slow - poor hill climber - useless speedometer - overgeared for general use
Can anyone think of any reason why Mandy should find the Wisper 905SE very fast, while Willliam Davis finds it very slow? Weight? Hills?

N.B. This is a subject close to my heart as I've got one of these on order and I'm rather hoping my experience will be very fast rather than very slow!

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
No - looks odd doesn't it!

Myself and JimmyEngland have both put up a couple of detailed postings on the Wisper 905se - if you search under our postings you'll find quite a bit of detail.

My summary would be that it is a great bike, capable of doing a full 15 mph as pedelec and 17-19 with throttle, with reasonably good hill climbing. I think there are two things wrong with it, which are both reasonable DIY fixes - lack of torque arm and controller wiring fault. Both may or may not be remedied by the time you get yours. Details of both are posted - but let me know if you can't find them.

I think you'll be pleased when you get it, and hope it arrives soon!

Frank

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Interesting - thanks for clarifying.

I live in a flat area so I've not tested my Wisper on hills. My wife rode it on a trip through the Kent and Sussex Downs the other week and she said it climbed those hills well - but she is very light.

Your hill is at the end of your journey when the battery will be past its best (although the same applies for your other bike).

It would be good to get more input from others with experience of the Wisper on hills.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Torque arm and controller wiring.

No - looks odd doesn't it!

My summary would be that it is a great bike, capable of doing a full 15 mph as pedelec and 17-19 with throttle, with reasonably good hill climbing. I think there are two things wrong with it, which are both reasonable DIY fixes - lack of torque arm and controller wiring fault. Both may or may not be remedied by the time you get yours. Details of both are posted - but let me know if you can't find them.

I think you'll be pleased when you get it, and hope it arrives soon!

Frank
Thanks for that Frank, just for your information both fixes have been done on the new bikes.

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Discrepency

Can anyone think of any reason why Mandy should find the Wisper 905SE very fast, while William Davis finds it very slow? Weight? Hills?

Hi also seems very strange to me! We have not heard from William so I do not know what the problem is, his comments are not what we are used to. I will try and make contact and let you know the result.

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
More like our normal feed back!

Pasted from <http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/attachments/electric-bicycles/254d1208357620-just-registered-introduce-yourself-here-70n_april08.jpg>

Greetings from 70N in Norway. The weather in April is not bad at all as can be seen from the picture. I'm out surfing with my electric bike for a few hours of fun in the sun.

No problems at all with the motor and battery at -5C. However, I need to be careful sometimes when the motor kicks in to avoid spinning.

The bike gives me a 30km reach very easily, and without breaking a sweat. And the battery still shows 1/2 left.

It may, of course, be a bit unfair to fellow riders when I effortlessly glide up a hill at 20km/h in strong headwind with a smile on my face and raised eyebrows. But they have no idea of how much effort it is to keep warm for us electric cyclists.

Later,
Slowfeet

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Let's get this sorted out asap!

Hi Billy

I honestly thought the Wisper would be vastly superior but to me it was overpriced and a mistake. The Wisper only gets used now and then the Samurai was used daily and always made me feel good.
Sorry to hear that you are not getting what you wanted out of your Wisper, I can only assume that there a problem has developed, especially considering your initial comments to us,

"Hi David,

I am pleased to say I now have my Wisper 905se and am delighted with it, however, can you advise what the green and red buttons are for on the left handlebar since I do not have a manual.

Kind regards

Bill"

For you to have changed your mind so radically there obviously is a problem, please would you call Doug on 01425 627 641 or write to doug@wisperbike.com and we will do our utmost to sort the problem out, we hate having a dissatisfied customer!

Very best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi,

I posted the comments on the Wisper 905se and to be honest I wish I had bought another Samurai.
Hi Bill, I have just read you review, I didn't realise you had a German bike!

There is a fault in the wiring which is giving you the problems, I wish you had contacted us. We could have sorted out the problem immediatly, incidentally this bike is not an SE it is an upgraded E.

However it is an easy fix and we would be pleased to talk you through it or do it for you if you are anywhere near the New Forest.

Call Doug or email him for advice 01425 627 641

doug@wisperbike.com

Best regards David:)

Sep 24, 2007
Can anyone think of any reason why Mandy should find the Wisper 905SE very fast, while Willliam Davis finds it very slow? Weight? Hills?

N.B. This is a subject close to my heart as I've got one of these on order and I'm rather hoping my experience will be very fast rather than very slow!
According to her many postings, she doesn't even pedal her bike because of a back problem and she also claimed not to have carried out the well known wiring fault rectification as she didn't find it necessary (since the fault affected the pedelec mode mostly). So, why she should feel able to comment on the performance of the Wisper in anything other than throttle only mode is beyond me. In fact, in throttle only mode, the Wisper is no different to any other 250W, 36V 14AH bike of approx 22kg. With full throttle on AND pedalling at the same time, the bike is fast and light.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2007
since the hill is near the end of my ten mile trip I want to be able to climb it with ease which to be honest I can do by going down the gears. However, my last bike I could climb it in top at 13 mph the Wisper 11 if I am lucky.
So what's the problem then? You can climb the hill if you use the gears... correct? So, okay, you lose 2mph and have to change down gear to climb the hill with ease but, electrically speaking, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Your last bike probably wouldn't have the range of the Wisper if it gave enough power for that extra 2mph on the hill.

I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending a Wisper 905SE is terms of performance. It's an electrically assisted bike, not an electric motorbike. This means pedalling and 2mph lost is nothing to moan about in my opinion.

My 905SE does 18mph in thottle only mode on the flat. This drops a lot on hills. But, in pedelec mode (which is really what they are for), I've never found lack of power a problem.

My 500W Heinzmann kit bike would climb ANYTHING...... throttle only..... but its range was a mere 10 miles on a full battery. It really is about compromise. Wispers have a great range and I love riding mine in pedelec mode and covering 30-40 miles.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
go for it

Hi ElephantsGerald and all that are thinking of purchasing a 905SE

Trust me, you will not be dissapointed! The bike is great and you will not be unhappy with your purchase. However, I would like to reply to the post below by another member and felt the need to tag it with your quote.

To ALL

Quote: JimmyEngland Hi EA ccording to her many postings, she doesn't even pedal her bike because of a back problem and she also claimed not to have carried out the well known wiring fault rectification as she didn't find it necessary (since the fault affected the pedelec mode mostly). So, why she should feel able to comment on the performance of the Wisper in anything other than throttle only mode is beyond me. In fact, in throttle only mode, the Wisper is no different to any other 250W, 36V 14AH bike of approx 22kg. With full throttle on AND pedalling at the same time, the bike is fast and light.
unQuote

1) Yes I do have a back problem and that is why I have a bike with the two modes as in Pedelec or throttle only. I then have a choice? I further advised that I would use the Pedelec mode in the warmer weather when my back doesn't give me so much jip (Like cold and wet) bit like last summer, lol!
This may have been in PM's or may have been not but do not want to trawl through previous posts to clarify.

2) I have NEVER claimed that the wiring fault was not carried out on my bike because it was and I have advised in previous posts. I simply said that it did not make a lot of difference to me as I use the Power only mode almost all of the time. I have also been in touch with David regarding this problem.

3) I believe in my review that I actually commented on the SE as a whole and did not comment on particular modes? I simply commented the bike had both options. I have also stated that regardless of my bad back that I do pedal in "Motor only Mode" in my review and this was also possible with my old PowaByke and I pedal almost all of the time in this mode to make it go a little faster on a good day and also ensures that if I have a problem on a bad day that I will not end up in trouble if the motor did cut out in Pedelec mode due to not pedaling. There is no rule in the book that whilst in power only mode that you are not able to pedal? I certainly do pedal with somewhat faster journey's.

4) Okay, this forum is called I quote "The Pedelec Forum", does that now mean that I should not be a member because I do not use the Pedelec mode on the SE at present? Does this also mean that I am unable to place a perfectly sound review on my SE Electic bike that I own? For goodness sake I have "Degenerative disc desease" in my back, has the world gone mad?? I own an SE, I pedal when I can and because of this poblem, am I to be ostresised because I am unable to use the pedelec mode at all times? Does that make my perfectly honest review of the bike void?
I am in effect disabled athough I refuse to register as such due to restrictions in employment and many people turn to electric bikes to overcome their disabilities, do they not?

5) Since the member in the quote loves their SE, why then have a snipe at me for my review? Very Bizarre and totally unnecessary, I should be allowed to have my say? Should I not?

Whilst I have quoted my displeasure on this thread it does in some way cover other posts posted in other threads since Monday 14th April and I am not really a very happy chapess, but love my Wisper 905se and I am perfectly entitled to my opinion and I love it as you know:D

Back to you ElephantsGerald
You enjoy your SE when it come's as I do in which ever mode you want? LOL!

Kindest Regards and enjoy
Mandy

Sep 24, 2007
Her boyfriend used to do all the repairs and tweaks too, so I really would take it all with a pinch of salt. Just evaluate the bike yourself from asking people who know what they're talking about and you should be fine!

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Her boyfriend used to do all the repairs and tweaks too, so I really would take it all with a pinch of salt. Just evaluate the bike yourself from asking people who know what they're talking about and you should be fine!
Jimmy please. That is sexist, inappropriate, irrelevant and insulting. What on earth is going on round here :(

Django

Sep 24, 2007
Jimmy please. That is sexist, inappropriate, irrelevant and insulting. What on earth is going on round here :(

Django
No, it's not sexist at all. It's just a fact. The bloke has asked for advice about buying a bike... Mandy's many posts all show that she hasn't got a clue about electric bikes but she sees fit to 'advise' people and speak authoratively about something that she knows nothing about. She's confrontational, attention-seeking and has been publicly warned by the administrator of the site for inappropriate and insulting posts and a disgraceful public row with her boyfriend which took up several postings and ruined a sensible thread. She without fail tries to 'lighten up' (her words) any thread which has anything in it worth reading, usually by posting 'don't worry be happy' type comments and making provocative personal statements about/to people, all signed off with "kindest regards". She has the audacity to challenge knowledgeable people like Flecc whilst knowing nothing about anything technical. And now new users are being told that Wispers are "very very fast" by someone who doesn't even use the pedals.

In fact, I know that Mandy's inane and provocative posts have been instrumental in several knowledgeable and long-term members just leaving the forum and, to be honest, I'll be joining them. I have her on my blocked list (the only one) so never read them any more but I really am sick at the way the forum quality is lowered by what she's been able to do so far. So, in future, members will find that, when they need technical assistance to keep their bikes running, they'll only have her suggesting "buy a new bike. They're improving all the time, like cars"... or similar.

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Jimmy,

I am disappointed to read such a post from you. Mandy is entitled to her views and just because they differ to yours is not a reason to attack her in this manner.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/404-forum-rules-terms-conditions.html

Specifically:
2. Be nice to each other - no personal attacks on other users.

Sep 24, 2007
Jimmy,

I am disappointed to read such a post from you. Mandy is entitled to her views and just because they differ to yours is not a reason to attack her in this manner.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/404-forum-rules-terms-conditions.html

Specifically:
2. Be nice to each other - no personal attacks on other users.
Just remove me from the forum Russ. I've had enough. The standard of postings has dropped (yep, I include my latest one in that) and any remotely technical or interesting thread is not immune from provocative nonsense. Standards really have dropped and I've had enough. Thanks for what you've done so far but it's not an enjoyable place any more. In fact, it's increasingly annoying and vexatious to the spirit, so please count me out from now on.

Bye everyone!

Jimmy

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I am sorry you feel that way Jimmy, unfortunately the nature of an online forum is that there is a breadth of quality to the posts that are made. My job is to make sure that people dissect and debate the topics without resorting into attacking one another. I've seen it too many times on other forums and I don't want it here, that's not why I started it and it will become very boring if I have to spend all my time resolving disputes.

If indeed you do want me to remove your account, please send me a confirmation PM. Thanks for your contribution to the forum and all the best for the future.

Sep 24, 2007
I am sorry you feel that way Jimmy, unfortunately the nature of an online forum is that there is a breadth of quality to the posts that are made. My job is to make sure that people dissect and debate the topics without resorting into attacking one another. I've seen it too many times on other forums and I don't want it here, that's not why I started it and it will become very boring if I have to spend all my time resolving disputes.

If indeed you do want me to remove your account, please send me a confirmation PM. Thanks for your contribution to the forum and all the best for the future.
Hi Russ. I've just sent you a PM and can confirm that I'd like my membership cancelling.

I'd like to thank those members of the forum who have made contributions worth reading and added to the fund of technical knowledge about e-bikes. I won't express any comment about the people who have nothing to say but bombard the site with posts anyway, except to say that I can't stand it any more so I'm off.......

Goodbye everyone!

Jimmyengland1000

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
Sorry to see you go:( .
it only gets irritating if one reads the thread, doesn't it? What I'm saying is that people who are waiting post threads and blow off steam but people shouldn't read them if they find them irritating. There is one particular member of this forum whose posts used to have me gnashing my teeth with annoyance. I now never read this member's posts, or respond to them, or comment on them....easy solution....
It`s a pity you could not take your own advice.

Sep 24, 2007
The problem is that, when other members respond and quote the messages which I usually block, the text of the blocked message then becomes visible. Since the user mentioned feels at liberty to comment on just about anything to do with anything. no thread is safe from the drivel that irritates me so much. So, an easy solution, I'm clearing off, with my technical knowledge and ideas, and will leave the other person to continue placing "hey, why worry?" type rubbish for public perusal. Better all round for everyone. Good luck