Help! Wobbly pedal spindle

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Update . I removed cranks. Chain guard and the sensor assembly on the chain guard side. There's extra play on chain side . Less play on opposite side. On chain side I can't remove the last piece as shown . Haven't got a tool fir the black part. I might try a screwdriver and hammer but before I do. .. is this reverse thread? Don't want to hammer wrong way .I took video of the amount of play but I assume I can't attach video . Appreciate any help whenever you can while I'm not working .thanks

Attachments

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Excellent video in the post above. I think that should make clear what the inner pusher is; I see it's proper name is spindle driver.

Repeating what I said before (so you can learn by my previous mistakes) ...
One thing the video did not stress early on (around the 1 min mark) was to slacken off the spindle driver before screwing the entire tool into the crank arm; it was already appropriately in the unscrewed position. It did mention it later around the 5 min mark.

After doing a removal the spindle driver will be in the tightened position. If you forget that, or only loosen it off a bit, when you go to do the next removal you will only be able to screw the main body of the extractor in a very short way into the crank arm, and will strip the thread on the crank arm when you tighten the spindle driver.
Thanks I've done it . But have another query on this thread that I posted today

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The one on the left side is a normal thread. You can undo it with a large adjustable spanner. On the right side, you have that lock-ring that holds on that plate arrangement behind it. You have to inspect the thread to see which way it turns because it could be either way. According to the picture that i linked above, it looks like a left hand thread, so clockwise (facing it) to undo it. Once you have that off, you'll see whatever there is to undo the bottom bracket, which will be a left hand thread.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
The one on the left side is a normal thread. You can undo it with a large adjustable spanner. On the right side, you have that lock-ring that holds on that plate arrangement behind it. You have to inspect the thread to see which way it turns because it could be either way. According to the picture that i linked above, it looks like a left hand thread, so clockwise (facing it) to undo it. Once you have that off, you'll see whatever there is to undo the bottom bracket, which will be a left hand thread.
Thanks
Now I have this on the photos . The spindle has lots of play . I can't tell if it's something to tighten or replace . Should I go further in

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have to remove it completely. it looks identical to the one I linked above, which is a sealed unit with nothing to adjust. You just replace the whole unit.

Is that whole arrangement on the chainwheel some sort of torque sensor or is it for a back-pedal brake?

Last edited:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
You have to remove it completely. it looks identical to the one I linked above, which is a sealed unit with nothing to adjust. You just replace the whole unit.

Is that whole arrangement on the chainwheel some sort of torque sensor or is it for a back-pedal brake?
I bought it as it is but it has a voilamart wheel/hub on it not the original giant wheel. And assume the handlebar throttle came with the voilamart as I think the suede was pedal assist only

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Certainly remove the gunk as much as possible, make sure the balls and races are not pitted, and refit with quite a bit of new grease. You can probably do a pretty good job of cleaning things even on the side you can't remove.

Reactions: mikeconnect

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Certainly remove the gunk as much as possible, make sure the balls and races are not pitted, and refit with quite a bit of new grease. You can probably do a pretty good job of cleaning things even on the side you can't remove.
Yeh might as well try as I can't get other side off at moment . If it doesn't improve enough I'll have to find a way to remove other.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Good news! Clean an regrease of bearing I removed sorted it before I even touched other side . Im gonna take this back off and clean other from inside as best I can . I'm beginning to wonder if non pedal side was fully screwed in in the first place . But good news. Thanks vfr and all contributors