Woosh Big Bear

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I bought my first electric bike in 2014. A Woosh Zephyr-CDN. I was so impressed and pleased with the Zephyr that i have now bought a second Woosh bike, a Big Bear. Once again i am very impressed. The build and quality is excellent. The welds are very neat. It looks strong and it certainly is. It would suit a heavy person for sure. I live in an area of extremely steep hills, one after another. It pulls up them all like a tractor. Which is exactly what i need as i suffer from COPD and this bike is the only way i can get about. Being a lightweight person i have experienced a problem with wheel spin. But, i have found, by using power level 2 and then throttle on the hills i can fly along without much spin. It's just a case of getting used to. At first i was riding Big Bear using the same power level as the Zephyr, mainly 4 & 5. I'm sure a heavier person would not have a problem with wheel spin. I have made a few changes to the bike to suit me better. New swept-back handlebars, new saddle, new front rack and rear box and bag. Oh, and WingLights. Ordered a new NCX seat post today, just to make it even more comfortable. When you consider the battery alone for this bike costs over £300, you get helluva lot of actual bike for the other £500+.
And i've just realised that i have not used paragraph's :)

PS. my Zephyr-CDN has been kept ouside, all year round, in a thin wooden shed. After two years there's not even a hint of rust on the screw and bolt heads. It still looks newish!13227125_994057147346247_9034892193936295616_n.jpg

Last edited:

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I couldnt agree more about the Big Bear. I've had mine for nearly a year and its been trouble free and handles those hills without any problems. I'm a leisurely cyclist so generally only ever use the 2 speed setting, with occasional use of the 3 setting if I encounter a steep hill. May not be relevant but, if you are looking for an economical way to move the Big Bear around, I can recommend the Exodus Bike Carrier (£60 from Halfords). I use it to transport my Big Bear - the only downside being that your car must already have a towbar fitted.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
if you are looking for an economical way to move the Big Bear around, I can recommend the Exodus Bike Carrier (£60 from Halfords). I use it to transport my Big Bear - the only downside being that your car must already have a towbar fitted.
Thank you Wingreen. After 45 years of motoring i have now given up the car. If i can't get there on my Big Bear, i don't go there [emoji3][emoji106]
PS. i have taken out Breakdown Cover for the BB. Only £15 a year. I wouldn't be able to push it home or put it in a taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wingreen

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
The Woosh website states that the Big Bear comes with rear rim brakes. I was very pleased to find that mine came with a rear disc brake. The website also gives the length of the bike as 195cm. I made my bike shed longer before ordering the bike. I need not have done this because the length is actually 175cm.
Regarding Woosh bikes in general. I would say that they are good for resale when the time comes. Obviously depending on condition, price etc. My Zephyr-CDN sold on the first day of listing. The buyer is making a 400 mile round trip to collect it.

Last edited:

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
One thing that i've noticed. The same thing was done on my Zephyr and caused a problem. For some reason, i can't think why, part of the derailleur cable outer is left off, leaving the inner cable exposed? On my Zephyr-CDN the same thing was done on the back brake cable. Within a short while, water had run down the cable and inside the lower cable housing. This caused the cable to rust solid. It would not move, I had to renew the whole cable. I suppose a regular drop of oil or grease around the entrance will prevent this from happening.13265911_998153273603301_7888442255923195380_n.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and trex

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
part of the derailleur cable outer is left off, leaving the inner cable exposed
It's normally to reduce friction by using as little outer as possible.
I've never had an inner cable rust and if you've replaced it with a good quality one (not Chinese) you probably won't have a problem in future.
It's often said that good practice is to not lubricate gear cable but I've done so with very thin oil, the likes of GT85 in the past and had no problems.
Dave.

Reactions: Marwood Hill

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
put lithium grease in your hole?

and the bike too

• Agree

Summerlightning

Pedelecer
May 4, 2015
Basingstoke
Hi,
I have a Big Bear too.
Can you tell me what handle bars did you use and how did you manage with changing the twist grip?
I have been looking at ways to change the grips as I get quite bad tingling in my hands after a few miles.
Thanks

Last edited:

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Hi,
I have a Big Bear to
Can you tell me what handle bars did you use and how did you manage with changing the twist grip?
I have been looking at ways to change the grips as I get quite bad tingling in my hands after a few miles.
Thanks
I changed my straight handlebars for a pair of North Road dutch style from Ebay. The twist grip easily fits. Just loosen the one allen screw and the complete piece is removed. You could try asking Woosh if they can supply a pair of Big Bear LS handlebars.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not so much the grips that cause the tingling, it's more likely the position of your arms. The new bars will probably fix it.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
It's not so much the grips that cause the tingling, it's more likely the position of your arms. The new bars will probably fix it.
Yes. I used to get very painful finger joints with the straight handlebars. The touring / dutch style gives relaxed hands with no cramps and pain.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Hi,
I have a Big Bear too.
Thanks
I recently changed the straight handlebars on my Big Bear for Humpert Cruiser Handlebars (25.4mm Clamp) in Black from SJS Cycles (Product code: 34024BLK). Although the postage was £5, they were only £8.99 and, so far, have worked a treat. Much more comfortable sitting positions are now options. Was very easy to swap all controls (including throttle) over. The only slight issue is that the cables can, initially, seem a bit short for re-positioning controls to the new positions but a little bit of gentle tweaking soon got over that.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I recently changed the straight handlebars on my Big Bear for Humpert Cruiser Handlebars (25.4mm Clamp) in Black from SJS Cycles (Product code: 34024BLK). Although the postage was £5, they were only £8.99 and, so far, have worked a treat. Much more comfortable sitting positions are now options. Was very easy to swap all controls (including throttle) over. The only slight issue is that the cables can, initially, seem a bit short for re-positioning controls to the new positions but a little bit of gentle tweaking soon got over that.
handlebars.JPG

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Has anyone ever used a pipe bender just turn straight bars a little?