Woosh Camino Tyre Change (update)

bowserman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2020
Merry Christmas everybody!

Got some Scwalbe Marathon E Plus for Christmas and tried fitting them today. The wheels are 700c and the tyres I got are 700 x 38c.

Basically, they seem too big. I have fitted these to bikes in the past and they were tight to get on, but these will not seat fully all the way round.

Do I need different rim tape or a different tyre?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we fit Marathon Plus Smart Reflex 28" x 1.75" to the Camino for those who need puncture proof tyres.
You can get them from Halfords.
Which tyres did you buy?

bowserman

Oct 10, 2020
we fit Marathon Plus Smart Reflex 28" x 1.75" to the Camino for those who need puncture proof tyres.
You can get them from Halfords.
Which tyres did you buy?
Marathon E Plus28" x 1.5
Never known a tyre so difficult to fit. Got the front done, and had to walk away from the back for a while before i put a stanley knife through it!!

its not too tight, they are too slack so keep popping off the rim.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The tyres are comparatively much more rigid than normal tyres and as it's fit and forget, I usually advise customers to get the bike shop to supply and fit.
700C tyres are more sensitive to inner rim width, best to stick to same dimensions 42-622.

bowserman

Oct 10, 2020
I have fitted loads of tyres in the past, and it was the problem that they are a slack fit rather than tight. OK once eventually fitted correctly and inflated. Would hate to that on the side of the road!!
Happy now they are on.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I use reusable zip ties to get the marathons on, put the bit the zip tie feeds through on the rim. It is hard to slacken the bit when it is seated against the tyre., YouTube has videos showing people using this method. I learned this the hard way, 2 broken tyre levers and a lot of swearing.

Reactions: bowserman

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I have fitted loads of tyres in the past, and it was the problem that they are a slack fit rather than tight. OK once eventually fitted correctly and inflated. Would hate to that on the side of the road!!
Happy now they are on.
Similar experience. I've had lots of Marathon Plus that have been a pain to get on, very tight. Well worth the effort, especially as they tend not to need to be taken off again for 10 years or more.

I have also come across one pair that were very loose, especially loose on our Woosh 700 FX07 front kit. I did manage to get them to fit in the end without blowing off the rim by being very careful to keep them centred; blow up a little bit, check seating, blow up a little more, check seating, etc etc.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I've had the same problem. 700c x 35 I picked up a pair of cx tyres cheap, couldn't get them to stay on. So sold them on and put the Continental tourers back on.
Same thing happened when I got the schwalbe winter studded tyres, spent some time fitting them evenly, pumped up hard, turned my back and BANG, inner tube had popped out and popped. However I decided to bite the bullet and get a new pair of rims, perfect fit. Apparently the continentals are a very tight fit. So they were no problem on the old rim. I had a bit of a wobble on both rims anyway, so have now had them trued up to keep as spares with the continental tyres..

bowserman

Oct 10, 2020
They have been no bother since I fitted them.

Just have a problem with squealing brakes, thought it would have stopped when fully bedded in.
Would new pads do the trick?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The propblem with Schwalbe Marathon tyres is that you can stretch the wire in the bead if you use too much force levering them over the rim instead of using the correct technique making sure that as much of the tyre is in the well of the rim before attempting to lever them. If you do it right, you don't need levers. The same applies when removing the tyre.

These tyres are not meant to be folded because that can also damage the bead wire. Some sellers fold them to put them in a smaller box when sending them - very bad!

• Informative
Reactions: TedG