Woosh Rio 17 Ah will a 3 amp charger be ok for this battery

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
not that one which is a 48V charger.
You can use a 3A charger but it must be 36V charger.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Woosh use a 2 amp charger. Will 3amp be ok for charging a 17Ah as I have this particular charger at my work place?....
Well caught by Woosh! You owe him a beer or three!
Chargers are made for each battery voltage, and although I have never seen the results of using a too high voltage, it may not be much fun!
He probably saved you a packet with his accurate comment!
Just remember that the long term damage to a Li-ion battery increases slightly, the higher the current used for charging, according to manufacturers data sheets.
Fast chargers are often 4 amps.
But I am sure that if you otherwise look after the battery carefully and methodically, you probably won't notice the difference in battery life much.
But such tests as that, I have NOT made myself, so a bit of guessing in there as well!
I would say go/stay with for the 2 amp standard, its probably about as safe as you can get....and often its the cheaper one if you need to buy one!
May I suggest to buy one with a tiny fan inside, I have one and it does not get hot at all.....components are therefore less stressed.
Regards
Andy

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
36v is the nominal voltage. Actual voltage of fully charged cells will be around 42v hence the charger rating.